AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Tiling Tank Walls?

Registered Member Missing Score's Avatar
    Real Name
    Matt

Default Tiling Tank Walls?

I think this might be a strange question and is more of a "what if" and not something I'm actively planning by any means. This isn't a planted tank or biotope topic, but I suppose it is a show tank topic! Considering there's a strong argument for bare grow out tanks, I've been wondering what on earth could be done to make them more visually appealing. I've always admired the Japanese koi ponds that use tile on the walls and bottoms. I've grabbed some pictures of image search to illustrate my point.

01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
    04.jpg

I suppose my question is, would this be possible on the scale of a tank? What about fish safe adhesive and grout? What about glass and acrylic and plywood for possible surfaces? Smooth tile surfaces probably wouldn't foster a lot of bacteria growth but what about the grout lines?

I know it's a bit of a silly prospect, but I really dig the way the tile in those koi ponds looks! lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff D'huyvetter

Default Re: Tiling Tank Walls?

I've got tile in one tank and slate in another as background. Used silicone to adhere it to the glass. No grout lines. Pic is from my plant tank I am currently working on are here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ant-Tank-Build

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by jdhuyvetter View Post
    I've got tile in one tank and slate in another as background. Used silicone to adhere it to the glass. No grout lines. Pic is from my plant tank I am currently working on are here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ant-Tank-Build
    Funny, pretty much what I was thinking when I read the OP. Silicone with ceramic tiles could be done. I'd never bother, but to each their own.
    President - North American Discus Association

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Stained glass might also work as a background, or even as a floor. Not joined in the usual way though. You can get large sheets that have patterns and colors.

It would be nice for a show/display tank.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member Missing Score's Avatar
    Real Name
    Matt

Thanks for the feedback guys! Good example Jeff, looks dino might! I think one day I might actually test it out on a small tank for fun. I've been reading around and most tiles are virtually inert. Pond people say that the tile cement and any grout you use would raise the PH but silicone would be no problem like you guys say for a tank. If I ever do it I'll post it here lol!