AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Member Spotlight for October 2015 - Al Castro

Default Member Spotlight for October 2015 - Al Castro

I'm delighted to present the October Member Spotlight on long-time, well-known member, Al Castro:

My name is AL and I am married with children. I was born in the smallest country in the Americas, El Salvador. I came here as a child and have adopted this country as my home. I am a festive, hardworking, loyal and very honest person. I am a 53 year old father to three great boys, husband to a wonderful wife and grandfather to two incredible kids.

I met my wife at a friend’s house and it was love at first sight (Romantic as well). We have been married now for 33 years. My oldest son, Freddy is turning 32, next is Jimmy
    30, father of two, and last in the list is Danny 24. Grandkids, Jaime 3 years and little Jimmy 18 months old. I cannot express with words the love I feel for the grandkids, they are the charger to the batteries for my life.
    Al Family Group by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Al and wife by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Al and Grandkids by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Fishroom by Simply Discus, on Flickr

I am a German car technician for 34 years, a factory trained Porsche mechanic, currently working for a small independent shop. Will talk more about my career with Porsche later on, as this at one point and time was a highlight in my life.

My other hobby is Tequila; collecting, tasting events, and enjoying drinking it with great people in the back of my house which looks like a small place in Mexico.
    Little "Mexico" by Simply Discus, on Flickr

How did you get into discus?

My oldest son bought a used 70 gallon tank and changed his mind and gave it to me. I thought about what fish I wanted, me being different wanted something you don't see every day so I bought some discus at a LFS. Shortly after that when seeking help, I found Simply Discus -, thank God and simply.
    I had fish on and off but Koi have always attracted me because of their vibrant color and friendliness. I currently have a 1,000 gallon above ground pond in my yard.

What strains are you most happy with?

I have always been attracted to Reds, but currently own a pair of Goh Eng Khoon fine line snakes which are my pride. I think breeders are doing a great job with all strains but my favorites are Albinos - the few brightly colored ones , platinums, millenniums, leopards, red spotted greens. By accident I own a Cuipera cross pair with the albino gene that I bought from a member here on Simply, and currently have albino fry that I would like to develop as a strain. Breeding albinos has always been something I want to do so I am currently in search for a pair.

Discus Pair by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Discus Albino by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Fry on parent by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    What do you feed your discus?

I mainly feed BH I make and Al's FDBW and some pellets from Forrest.

What is your most exhilarating moment with discus?

Nothing like seeing fry on parents specially a mix of albinos.

What is your most frustrating moment with discus?

It would be not being able to figure what's wrong with them, in illness. As a mechanic I am a person that won't give up, that's why I don't do stocks anymore, as I would hang on to them till they hit zero - lol. With that being said I can't say enough about how important it is to not get to that stage with discus, so don't neglect your water changes and wipe downs.

Any future Discus plans?

I have no plans, in fact not too long ago I almost gave up, as with my job it's hard keeping up with the proper care they require. But after seeing some pictures from Ricardo's grow out project I got a second wind, so I am looking to breed albinos.

How do those in your life feel about discus?

Most had never seen them before but love them, and when I started breeding them they thought I was a bit crazy. Now my grandkids love them and like to help.

Do you have any funny stories?

One day the power went out for 16 hours, and me being worried went in to my fish room with a flashlight to inspect them. I saw one of my males not moving and hardly breathing so I put my hand in the tank and tipped him like a sleeping cow. When he woke up he ran amuck and scared the pants off me.

What do you see as the future of discus?

Can't say, not having given it much thought. Hopefully the hobby will grow but what I feel it really needs is for the information on discus to expand with all of the correct information.

Do you have any credits or thanks to give?

First I would like to thank Simply for all the help. If not for this forum I would not be where I am today - thanks Al.
    Thanks to the big guns like Rick and John, and personal thanks to Tony ( MKD ) he has become a good friend helped me a lot; to Walter ( WaltDeleon ); to Ricardo my bud, & Ismael and the lady Mishka. And last but not least Second hand Pat for keeping this forum and all simply members straight.

If you were to give any advice, what would it be?

I am not at that point just yet, but one thing I can say is give them fresh WATER! Lots of it and often. Just because you change it once in a while does not make for good water in the tank, as there is so much going on in your water as it's left sitting untouched, from ammonia to bacteria.

How has Simply helped influenced you?

It's made me give and share with others the things that I've learned.

How did you decide to take the plunge into breeding?

It just happened and it was breathtaking. I got hooked, since I love nature, plus it helps pay some bills - lol.
    photo 5 by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Babies by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Fry growouts by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Fry by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Fish 2 by Simply Discus, on Flickr

What where the major obstacles involved in setting up as a breeder?

The actual set up was ok, I built a fish room in my garage, & insulated with foam boards. It measures 6x12x7.5 feet. But what is hard is knowing how fragile fry are and that their needs are so much higher than adults. Advice? Good husbandry.

Just want to mention that all the fry you see in these pictures where artificially raised. I learned most everything reading on simply. All I can add is that for the vessels I created for fry to be contained in, I picked up some ideas here and there -e.g. glue gun, coffee filters, and to feed San Francisco brand brine shrimp.
    Fish Room by Simply Discus, on Flickr

Any tips on breeding or raising discus?

Read all you can on Simply before taking the plunge, make sure all is clean including the pair, and again practice good husbandry, have patience and let nature take its course.

Any other hobbies?

Tequila. “I am not a drunk ", I just like the collecting and socializing aspect, and judging the various tastes. My collection is not huge, about 50 bottles. For some reason having a good friend to sip it with means a lot to me. I even bought Mexican Equipal ( pig skin ) furniture to add to that feel. I guess since I can't afford to go on vacation, I can bring that feeling to my house. I go twice a year to tequila tasting events and have a blast. My good friend and tequila enthusiast passed away early this year and I truly miss him.
    Tequila by Simply Discus, on Flickr

We understand you're into cars - tell us about it?

As I mentioned earlier I am a Porsche mechanic, with three years of high school auto shop, one year of technical college, and a factory Porsche trained "gear head". Porsche has always been in my blood and one day I got hired in a motor sports shop. I did not know how skilled I was in this field until this job came along. I became their engine builder and shop Foreman. One thing I learned here is that team work is a must, you need to depend on what others do. One example is: a race car will come in on a Monday - the engine comes out and is given to me while the rest of crew gets to work on body and suspension. Most everything is fabricated in house. I would rebuild and or modify the motor, putting it back on Friday when the car is finished. It's back at the race track on Saturday where it's put through torture for a 24 hour race at Daytona. Lots of sleepless nights and stress but the reward of winning is great. We won most races we entered for a whole year and I was recognized for the good work - a big accomplishment for me to enjoy.
    Thank you simply for allowing me to share my love for all things I do. Find the joy in your life.

Porsche 3 by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Porsche 4 by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Porsche 5 by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Porsche by Simply Discus, on Flickr
    Porsche 2 by Simply Discus, on Flickr

AL Castro

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Member Spotlight for October 2015 - Al Castro

Very good Read!
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Tony

This is awesome and congrats Al.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Great read Al. It's nice to meet you and learn more about you. Good luck with your discus venture.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Great story! Nice to meet you Al.

Ardan

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Way cool.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Awesome and congrats. Excellent Bio
    Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution;
    it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny. — Aristotle

Great Bio gentlemen!

Thank you for allowing us to peer in to your life Al!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Rick, Tony, Eddie, Ardan, John, Rob, Chad, feels like I fynally won a Raffle, lol

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Thank you Rick, Tony, Eddie, Ardan, John, Rob, Chad, feels like I fynally won a Raffle, lol
    Lol.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Discus, Porsche are my favourite topics. I'll substitute single malt for tequila.
    Great read.

Registered Member

A man after I'd like to hang with as I too enjoy the good stuff once in a while from that blue plant...
    I've always said if you need lime and salt you need a new bottle to me good Tequila needs neither....stole that last part from Sammy Hagar

Awesome job Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Discus, Porsche are my favourite topics. I'll substitute single malt for tequila.
    Great read.
    Than you

Real Name
    Phil

Always love reading these!! Congrats on the BIG Honor Al!!! You can truly see how happy you are in your pictures and that says a lot!!! Best to you and your family!

Registered Member

Very interesting story,your discus look great,

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast