AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transparent segmented poop

Default Re: Transparent segmented poop

You could treat the main tank with metro although it would take quite a bit. You could lower the water level.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    You could treat the main tank with metro although it would take quite a bit. You could lower the water level.
    With the recently given symptoms,do you think i shouldn wait no more and start the treatment?

P.s. For me treating main tank would be the easiest to maintain and quickest to do solution.

And metronidazole is not that costly in my country.
    It would take me 10 dollars to do the 12 Day ,500 mg per 10 gallons daily treatment.

So should i start, or wait some more ?
    Last edited by Filip; 10-20-2015 at 05:34 AM.

If you are concerned about it and other fish are having issues. I always look for other reasons why fish fall ill. All fish have internal parasites. Something is weakening your fishes immune system, whether it's it's nutrition deficiency or water related.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rich

Not an expert, by any means but I would say seperate the ones with white poo to a Qt tank, and do not treat with chemicals. Just change water and raise temp to 86. Resume feeding when they start pecking at glass. Bought my first batch in January, and have had a few issues at first. Used meds and that seems to kill th faster than anything. No meds and they have recovered. Same symptoms, something changed in their environment and that happens to some not all.
    Thanks
    Rich

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    If you are concerned about it and other fish are having issues. I always look for other reasons why fish fall ill. All fish have internal parasites. Something is weakening your fishes immune system, whether it's it's nutrition deficiency or water related.
    I decided to help them out with metro treatment in the comunity tank. 400 mg.per 10 gallons for 10 days.

My wild guess is that i made first big mistake introducing them in old established tank with fish allready in it.
    Also before i switched to sand i suspect they went one month in bad watter condition due to dirty supstrate.
    Anyway i will administer metro to help them overcome this, and i try to keep pristine water so that it doesent happen again in future.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by mbruizer187 View Post
    Not an expert, by any means but I would say seperate the ones with white poo to a Qt tank, and do not treat with chemicals. Just change water and raise temp to 86. Resume feeding when they start pecking at glass. Bought my first batch in January, and have had a few issues at first. Used meds and that seems to kill th faster than anything. No meds and they have recovered. Same symptoms, something changed in their environment and that happens to some not all.
    Thanks
    Rich
    Thanks for sharing your experience Rich.
    I decided to treat the whole community tank ,cause it would be much easier for me.i hope they will overcome this problem.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rich

Well good luck to you, been there done that. Just seem to me that the chemicals take to much of a toll on them. Lost 3 over the first 3 months until I stopped with the metro and such. Seemed clean warmer water helped more. No food till the act like they want to eat. Keeping them separate from the rest relieves stress. Had 3 successful recoveries that way.
    Thanks
    Rich
    P.S. Same exact symptoms as you.

Real Name
    Filip

Well, I put my first dose of metronidazole in my community tank after the lights went off.

The other day I noticed that the 3 noneating and hiding discus improved their behaviour towards swimming with the other fish in the school and pecking on food trying to eat with the other ones.
    Also I noticed more intense release of white,green opaque poop from the affected fish.
    I guess they are still in good health and the hex or whatever that is is still in early stage, since they responded so well after only one dose.
    This night I put the second dose, and in the morning I also put epsom salt half tablespoon per 10gallons.
    I think that epsom might help with releasing the bad poop faster that's why I administered it.

I'll keep on dosing for 10 days and will informing on progress.
    Any suggestions or informations are also welcomed

Treatment takes time. Even after treatment, you have to be patient with the recovery process. Many people have this idea that the fish will be eating, either during treatment or immediately after. That's rarely the case. Continue with good upkeep and the fish will eventually come around.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Real Name
    Filip

Update on situation.

It's been 11 days since I started the metro 500 mg/10gallons treatment.
    For the last 5 days I have also elevated the temperature to 34 Celsius /94 Fahrenheit.

Affected discus started to be active and swimming with the rest of batch even from the first dose,but they didn't eat at first.

They started only picking on food from the 7-8th day, and started eating only a bit from the 10th day.

So I guess as Eddie mentioned it's a slow process where our patience is a virtue.
    So after 11 daily doses I finnish the metro treatment.

For How long should I keep the heat treatment to 34 Celsius temp.it's been for 5 days till today?
    Should I do something else beside heat-epsom etc.??

Real Name
    Filip

For How long should I keep the heat treatment to 34 Celsius temp.it's been for 5 days till today?
    Should I do something else beside heat-epsom etc.??
    Anybody please , share some thoughts on this . I dont want to over do it with the elevated heat treatment. Till today im on 7th day with 34 C.

Is there an upper limit of days for doing this without hurting discus?
    BTW they are all fine and eating better and better everyday.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Katia

Hi Filip, do you have an update on how this ordeal played out in the end? I have exact same issue going on with two of my discus - clear stringy poo and not other symptoms for now. They are in QT and I am torn apart between just sticking with top water quality and waiting it out or following your course of action. The pics of clear feces you posted match my situation so precisely. Thanks in advance!

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Katia_K View Post
    Hi Filip, do you have an update on how this ordeal played out in the end? I have exact same issue going on with two of my discus - clear stringy poo and not other symptoms for now. They are in QT and I am torn apart between just sticking with top water quality and waiting it out or following your course of action. The pics of clear feces you posted match my situation so precisely. Thanks in advance!
    Hi Katia.
    It turned up allright eventually,fish are great right now, but it was a slow process requiring lots of patience.
    They were idle and docile once the disease hit them and didn't eat nor swim at all.
    I started the metro treat on their 3-4th day of noneating.
    They perk up and started swimming right after the second dose of metro but they still refused to eat any food.
    Their fasting lasted for about 14 days from my first treatment, when they started to eat only tini bits of food.
    Once they started to eat,they were increasing amount of food gradually and I think they got their full appetite one month after they stopped their fasting.

So it was a 14 days until they start to eat, and additional 30 days until they regain their full appetite again.
    I did the metro treat in conjunction with 34C degree temp.
    I changed 80% daily all along the process of healing.

Wish you good luck.Just have patience and don't loose hope.It's a slow recovery process.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Katia

Thank you so much for your response! Mine are eating and acting normal for now, do you think I should wait to confirm an actual issue first? I am leaning towards waiting a bit. You did three things simultaneously - water, heat and metro - so technically it is possible that just water changes would have done the trick. I am particularly afraid to mess with my community tank... to much at stake there...

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Katia_K View Post
    Thank you so much for your response! Mine are eating and acting normal for now, do you think I should wait to confirm an actual issue first? I am leaning towards waiting a bit. You did three things simultaneously - water, heat and metro - so technically it is possible that just water changes would have done the trick. I am particularly afraid to mess with my community tank... to much at stake there...
    If they swim and eat i wouldnt administer any medications. Just do large Wc s daily,fed them regulary and wait for fish immune system to deal with it.
    i resorted to metro treatment only after discus havent eat and swim for one week and two more also got the same simptoms.
    Thats why i decided to help them out with metro. Temp.raising was to speed up their metabolism and trigger apetite since they went fasting.
    Your case (at least so far) seems much lighter than mine was and i think your discus will recover with only good nursery, and thats clean and fresh water and quallity foods.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast