AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cascade Falls

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Cascade Falls

Pat, that last color edit is what I was talking about. You nailed it I think.

I'm not a huge fan of the B&W version. Not because you did a bad conversion, but it is a nice one for B&W, I just don't like the scene in B&W

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    OK, that came up while I was typing. Much better.

Here is something fun to try that is new in LR 6. Under EFFECTS in the develop module, the last slider is dehaze. Try moving this to the right a bit and see what happens.
    I am not seeing the dehaze Stan under Effects?
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I am not seeing the dehaze Stan under Effects?
    Ok, I think I need to check for updates. Looks like the dehaze tool is available under a June update.

Real Name
    Pat

Ok, I think I need to check for updates. Looks like the dehaze tool is available under a June update.
    Stan, I updated LR6 but appears the dehaze tool is only available if you are under the CC monthly plan.

and guys, appreciate all the help. This is helping me not only to learn LR6 but to also develop my eye .
    Pat

Real Name
    Ricardo

Stan, I updated LR6 but appears the dehaze tool is only available if you are under the CC monthly plan.

and guys, appreciate all the help. This is helping me not only to learn LR6 but to also develop my eye .
    Pat
    Remember Pat, that is what we are here for! Stan is definitely a photo guru and I hope you keep at it because you have a great eye for great shots.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Remember Pat, that is what we are here for! Stan is definitely a photo guru and I hope you keep at it because you have a great eye for great shots.
    You know I will Ricardo and you have provided a lot of help also. Ready for the next challenge? This is really stepping out of my comfort zone

Pat, you will at some point go to the monthly plan as it is now, I believe, the only one supported with updates. (If not the case it will be shortly.) Does that mean you don't have the LR 6 HDR and Panorama merge? Those are both very nice additions. I am not a huge HDR fan but it is a very subtle tool in LR and quite useful at times.
    As for the portrait, maybe tomorrow! I have a shoot with four Jack Russell Terriers in the morning!

There is only so much one can do with an image and I think the color version of the church is really much better. The church now stands out and the other elements complement the subject. The B&W is better as well and was just for the exercise just to have you know that is an option to keep in mind.
    Last edited by SMB2; 10-16-2015 at 11:25 PM.
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Ricardo

The rim lighting, or rather, the bright areas of the hair is actually a great job here. A little bright, but nice none-the-less. Her face, in contrast looks a little dark. You may want to apply localized exposure to the right just a bit. I am not a fan of square crops on portraits, but everyone has their own technique when it comes to portraiture. The background could have benefitted from a narrower DOF, but that cannot really be helped at this point. You may want to add some localized blur, but personally I have never liked that in post.

Other than that, I think you did a wonderful job.

I will say this. There are two camps with regards to subject contact with eyes. That is, some say you have to have a connection with your subject by way of their eyes, and those that prefer a candid-"like" shot where they are staring off in to the distance. I've done both and have had good results (in my opinion, lol) with both. Just something to keep in mind.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Pat, you will at some point go to the monthly plan as it is now, I believe, the only one supported with updates. (If not the case it will be shortly.) Does that mean you don't have the LR 6 HDR and Panorama merge? Those are both very nice additions. I am not a huge HDR fan but it is a very subtle tool in LR and quite useful at times.
    As for the portrait, maybe tomorrow! I have a shoot with four Jack Russell Terriers in the morning!

There is only so much one can do with an image and I think the color version of the church is really much better. The church now stands out and the other elements complement the subject. The B&W is better as well and was just for the exercise just to have you know that is an option to keep in mind.
    Stan, under the Photo menu item I have Photo Merge which both have both the HDR and Panorama option which are dithered. I would think since this is a merge process I would need several photos selected which I believe the merge process would try and stitch together. I will most likely go with the CC solution at some point. I do not have room to install Photoshop without re-partitioning my disk. Have fun with your photo shoot this morning.

BTW I love the way the color version of the church came out. The B&W is ok and I understand it was more for the experience . Thanks again to helping me to step up my game with LR 6.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 10-17-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    The rim lighting, or rather, the bright areas of the hair is actually a great job here. A little bright, but nice none-the-less. Her face, in contrast looks a little dark. You may want to apply localized exposure to the right just a bit. I am not a fan of square crops on portraits, but everyone has their own technique when it comes to portraiture. The background could have benefitted from a narrower DOF, but that cannot really be helped at this point. You may want to add some localized blur, but personally I have never liked that in post.

Other than that, I think you did a wonderful job.

I will say this. There are two camps with regards to subject contact with eyes. That is, some say you have to have a connection with your subject by way of their eyes, and those that prefer a candid-"like" shot where they are staring off in to the distance. I've done both and have had good results (in my opinion, lol) with both. Just something to keep in mind.
    Some small changes Ricardo, I tried the localized changes to the face and didn't like it so took a different approach. I lighten the hair a tab on the very top, darken and blurred the background a bit and soften the bright spots in the background. I will see I did a different crop showing a bit more of my sister in law. I tried to soften her forearm but only had minimum success.

Real Name
    Ricardo

It looks better to me

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

OK, turning me into a little monster here. Think this one works better in B&W. This is my great-nephew.

Decided to soften everything except the boy. Think this is better.

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 10-17-2015 at 04:03 PM.

I like the second B&W. Of course that could have been done in camera with an f stop of 5.6 or lower
    Try and darken the tree highlights with a brush and he will stand out even more.
    It is addicting!

(Just had an update of LR6 which I downloaded. It has a whole new import menu. I am not happy!
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Ricardo

I like the second B&W. Of course that could have been done in camera with an f stop of 5.6 or lower
    Try and darken the tree highlights with a brush and he will stand out even more.
    It is addicting!

(Just had an update of LR6 which I downloaded. It has a whole new import menu. I am not happy!
    Undo, UNDO! LOL

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Oops sorry Stan. Will work on those tree highlights.
    Pat

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast