ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Heckel Projects for 2015-2016 ?

Real Name
    Fred

Default Any Heckel Projects for 2015-2016 ?

Wild Season is just around the corner,

so whose getting a Heckel Project for 2015-2016 ?

Any body has already one going and want to share their experiences so far ? Any additions planned for 2015-2016.

In my case me plywood tanks got sidetracked a little bit, but work is starting again one them, but I'm not taking any chance. I've got two 65 gallons running as quarantine tanks waiting for some Heckels

Cheers,

Fred

Default Re: Any Heckel Projects for 2015-2016 ?

I got few heckels from last season, I'm planning to cross them

Real Name
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    I got few heckels from last season, I'm planning to cross them
    love to see them ;-)

Anybody else ?

Real Name
    Phil

Hey cool thread I hope more people respond ... I love heckles myself. I have 2 heckle crosses from Eric at carolina discus and they are really nice and interesting strains. So I guess it's not exactly a heckle project but good luck to all who are lucky enough to get some this year and hope to see it all here.

Hey jawfish, what is your plan for them? Have any staked out or reserved yet?

I'm saving my money and tank space for wild season. I like to get more high quality heckels from Mark Chen. I'm planning to cross them to Giant Flora, Straight Line Giant Turk and Altum Flora.IMAG0890.jpgIMAG0891.jpgIMAG0893.jpgIMAG0894.jpgIMAG0895.jpg

Real Name
    Fred

Right now I'm waiting to received them :-)

My goal is to grow them and try to have a spawm. It will be interesting to see.

Warblad79 any courting happening in that tank... there some nice heckel in there.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    I'm saving my money and tank space for wild season. I like to get more high quality heckels from Mark Chen. I'm planning to cross them to Giant Flora, Straight Line Giant Turk and Altum Flora.
    if you end up successfully breeding any of those, please shoot me a pm

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    if you end up successfully breeding any of those, please shoot me a pm
    Will do, I will definitely post them here.

Real Name
    Fred

The quarantine tank is running. I've got two double sponge filters running plus a dmall aquaclear. I have an old wet dry that I never really liked since it has a small sump... then it it me might just drill the bottom and have it flow in a 20 gallon tank... add a couple of baffles and it would be a decent filter. liked I didn't have enought on my plate

This is the tank just waiting for 12 small heckels to come in
    10957720_10206429745877153_4614319495988495014_n.jpg

One thing I really need to improve are my pictures taking skills

Cheers,
    Fred
    Last edited by jawfish; 10-24-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Can I ask what a heckel project is. Does it involve wild heckles or can heckel crosses be included?

Registered Member Driftwood Mike's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike

Looking forward to seeing the progress on your project. All the best and many, many successful spawns

Real Name
    Fred

For me a Heckel project is for Heckels only. Unfortunetly I don't really consider man-made heckel cross part of this as the main goal iis to further advance the knowledge on the Heckels.

As a preparation to my project I've been going trough the 10 pages of this section... I see there was a real awakening a while back but kinda died down lately. One thing that strikes me is that they seem to be different much different than the other 3 species of wild discus. Not just in water and feeding requirement, but also in behaviour.

My ultimate goal is to attempt to breed them, I understand in the end I will need their cooperation but I will try to satisfy their needs with all I have learn going trough these pages, reading several books and papers and several discussions with others who have attempted this.

The sticky on top of this section explains very well what a Heckel Project is:

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi all,
    At the request of Heckel afficinados We have added a special section that we have called

THE HECKEL PROJECT
    All information on
    Symphysodon discus can be posted in this section. Questions and information on other wild species or domestic discus should not be posted in this section, but in the other sections of the forum where they best fit.

Our purpose is to build an informational database on the requirements of wild Heckels and their biology. It is hoped that with such a knowledge base hobbyists and breeders may be able to captive breed
    Symphysodon discus in a consistent manner.

All hobbyists with an interest in this project are asked to share their research, knowledge, and experience in this endeavor. It is a project open to everyone.

Please use this section as you would any other section of the forum, and keep in mind that all forum rules apply here.

Thanks and please wish us luck in this endeavor.

The Simply Team
    Cheers

Fred

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks jawfish.

I rarely go in to the sections, but rather use the new posts function, and often do not even think about checking the top of the page to see which section a thread comes from.

Good luck with your heckels and I look forward to following your updates.

First I want to say good luck and then give a few suggestions. I hope they help, but I am really not sure they will.

I had a theory at one time to buy them small and grow them up in a tank so they can adjust to captivity. This might
    work but it's a long time project because small wild discus grow much slower than small domestic discus. So I now
    suggest to get medium to large wilds.

Wild discus breed in captivity so heckles should also. Most wild discus are unique in pattern and you can sometimes
    guess male from female. But heckles are like clones of each other and I don't think there is anyway to guess. Of course
    you will be 50 percent right if you do. So buy a lot and hope some are female.

The line don't adjust your water because discus can adjust does not hold true for wilds and especially for heckeks.
    We are talking about wild discus that have lived and evolved for hundreds of year in soft, low ph water. These are not
    f-50 red-turks or f-25 pigeon bloods. Peat moss also helps a lot with wilds as well as dim lighting.

So low ph and don't be afraid of ph in the 5's or even falling into the high 4's. A lot of the success of keeping wild altums
    alive is the fact that wholesalers are now putting them in ph in the 4's. They are adjusting better to captivity and there fins
    are no longer melting off. The altums can then be adjusted up after the first couple weeks.

I don't like the use of tds meters and only believe in conductivity meters so conductivity under 100 and even under 50 when
    trying to breed them. I have know idea what this means in tds since some meters multiply the conductivity by .7 and other meters multiply it by .5.

Dim lighting is easy enough. The use of peat moss filtered water acts like a low strength di water filter and it adds tannins and
    humus into the water that the fish really seem to like. You have been around long enough that I don't need to mention water changes.

As far as diet I have always found heckles willing to eat the same things as my other discus. I personally believe in a more meat than vegetable
    diet for discus. But heckles will also eat flakes and pellets.

So good luck to anyone trying to breed heckles.
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

Real Name
    Fred

Hi Jerry, I hear you: Don't fight them, join them, approach to water chemistry.

For me this is an experiment. Its not about adapting them to my conditions, but more adapting my conditions towards them. I've been preparing water for most of my discus keeping, the only difference now is just putting more peat than normally and aiming for a conductivity of 70-80us to start ... I know for breeding it needs to go down low... really low 10-20us. The PH right now is a 5.5, but this is a new tank, I figure once the fish will be in it will drop naturally. Like you said I have no issues with it being at 4.0-4.5... even when I'll attempt to trigger them to spawn with a very low conductivity... One suggestion was just adding a small piece of coral in the sump... not enough to raise the PH or the conductivity by much, but just enough to prevent it from crashing.

Yhea I was debating between the small and medium. I ordered the small... Will see how they come in this week. I'm under no illusion. I won't see any action before 2017 if I'm lucky. That's a lot of responsibilities on my and a lot of chances to screw up. I'm used to growing my discus so the patience is there, but this is a new frontier for me. I've never attempted to grow some wild Heckels before. I do believe that there's probably a better chance to breed when getting smaller Heckels, but history doesn't seem to indicate this, as all the success I know was with specimen acquired as adults... hmmm. Still I believe you need to learn to grow your discus, before breeding them and this is how I first started 28 years ago: This is how I wanted to start with the Heckels. I have to admit that Its nice to go back revisit your beginning.

Unfortunately we often learn by our mistakes, I hope that I'll keep avoiding them. Once I receive them I'll start a dedicated tread, I'll try to post weekly updates, to is to learn and exchange... It will last as long as it will... I may not succeed, but I'll try

Cheers,

Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast