ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Moving Discus fry from the wall

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paulius

Question Moving Discus fry from the wall

Hello everyone,
    My discus has layed eggs, and the problem is that eggs are layed on the wall of aquarium. I know that after 24-36 hours parents will eat them... it happened 3 time during the first three egg layings.
    So my question is how to move the fry from the aquarium wall to artiffiacial hatchery that i have?
    could i simply collect the eggs with the syringe or sth like this?

Real Name
    Rick Mileski

Default Re: Moving Discus fry from the wall

You can do what I did if you like.

One of my un-proven pairs layed eggs on the glass 2 days ago. I took a turkey baster and scraped and sucked up some of the eggs and put them in a artificial bowl I use for that purpose .....2 of the eggs hatched so now I know it's a proven pair.

This is a video I took a couple of days ago.
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=725652420900596

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paulius

Thank you, Rickmiles, for you advice!
    I think today is the day when my discus is going to lay eggs again (10 days passed after last spawn and they are cleaning the wall very intensively )
    So if i am going to move the fry from the wall where they are going to spawn with the syringe and going to put them into the bowl with slow taping of water will they hatch in that way?

Real Name
    Jason

If they are breeding continuously and its not crucial to have fry survive, why not just leave the parents alone with the eggs and fry and give the young couple a chance to get it right? Cichlids usually do get it right. Sometimes it takes several spawns.

Real Name
    Rick Mileski

Your Welcome.

The only, only reason, I scrapped some of the eggs off of the tank glass wall, was to see if any would hatch, then I would know If I had a proven pair. I did this in a hurry because I have about 70 other tanks with different fish and customers I have to take care of. You can put the eggs in any container with RO or distilled water, a air stone and a few drops of mb, acriflaven, Moroxy etc

I have more information of sort at my Homesteaders Lodge http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...%29-Antioch-Ca

Rick

Real Name
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by rickmiles View Post
    You can do what I did if you like.

One of my un-proven pairs layed eggs on the glass 2 days ago. I took a turkey baster and scraped and sucked up some of the eggs and put them in a artificial bowl I use for that purpose .....2 of the eggs hatched so now I know it's a proven pair.

This is a video I took a couple of days ago.
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=725652420900596
    Very helpful. Thank you for sharing this.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

do they have other vertical surfaces to lay on other than the glass wall? you could try to give them a cone to lay their eggs on instead, and that way u can also cage the eggs with mesh to prevent them from eating them before they become wrigglers (but they can still fan them). without a cone my guys will lay on the vertical glass surface or the logs, but they prefer the cone if its available

i had a pair who ate their eggs every time they spawned... then i caged the eggs and let them hatch into wrigglers and removed the cage so they could practice with the older fry. they stopped eating their eggs after that and i didnt need the cage any longer

here is a pic of a cone i ordered from a lady on simply discus. they r beautiful handmade works of art and the fish love them!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    do they have other vertical surfaces to lay on other than the glass wall? you could try to give them a cone to lay their eggs on instead, and that way u can also cage the eggs with mesh to prevent them from eating them before they become wrigglers (but they can still fan them). without a cone my guys will lay on the vertical glass surface or the logs, but they prefer the cone if its available

i had a pair who ate their eggs every time they spawned... then i caged the eggs and let them hatch into wrigglers and removed the cage so they could practice with the older fry. they stopped eating their eggs after that and i didnt need the cage any longer

here is a pic of a cone i ordered from a lady on simply discus. they r beautiful handmade works of art and the fish love them!

I cannot see the photo, but I can only assume these are from Barb, which you can find here Heidi:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...North-Carolina

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I cannot see the photo, but I can only assume these are from Barb, which you can find here Heidi:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...North-Carolina
    yes, they r from barb! i love the cones

Real Name
    Heidi

Those are beautiful! Thank you Ricardo and Kyla.