AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hans Discus Grow Out

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Default Hans Discus Grow Out

This is my first batch of discus. I ordered from Hans and will be growing out a group of 5 blue pigeon bloods in a 40 breeder. Future plans are to eventually move them to a 75.

Tanks set up and ready to fill with water and fish!

Fish are here!

After first water change

Fourth day settling into new tank

I'm currently feeding new life spectrum cichlid pellets and tetra color flake food with plans to eventually make my own gel food once I can find some beef heart.
    Last edited by mkng07; 10-19-2015 at 01:58 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Hans Discus Grow Out

I wish you good luck with them .
    How big are they right now 2"?
    Are the rummies and pleco from the same source or did you mix them in this tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Meshell

Most excellent. I will return to see your updates on these little guys!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Nice tank setup.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Dan

hans doesn't use beefheart, lean groundbeef in his mix.

my avatar is a 6" (maybe a bit more) blue pigeon I got from him in march at 2.5". They will color up nicely. when they hit 5"+ you will see the red really develop, the white will whiten and the two colors will be much more defined.
    Last edited by dprais1; 10-19-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

The rummys and plecos are sourced from another established tank.

@dprais. Nice to meet another fellow blue PB enthusiast! Can't believe you grew him from 2.5" to 6" in less than a year. Care to share his diet? My guys are around the 3-3.5" mark right now but they are growing fast and everyday I notice a bit more pattern/color development. Its really amazing.

Real Name
    Dan

I have han's marlboro reds, brilliants, and blue pigeons. I have a blue diamond, a blue snakeskin and a couple of turks from a local breeder. I really like the blue pigeons the best!

I've fed them everything from tetra bits, to assorted flakes foods, NLS, beefheart mix, live worms and groundbeef mix. all my fish seem healthier when they get some fresh food in their diet daily--be it live worms or a beef mix***. I think that flake and pellets are maybe harder for them to digest(?). anyhow just my opinion.

Right now I feed mainly a beef mix and feed flake and/or pellets if I don't plan or have time to do a big waterchange. So I try for two 50% waterchanges a day, each about 30 min after beef mix and a mid-day meal of flakes or pellets. I really disliked NLS pellets, others praise them up and down but I found they made a big mess. once or twice a week I do close to 100% waterchange.

Truth is lots of clean water will have the biggest impact on their growth. I wouldn't worry overmuch about the food(although everyone does) just keep your filters clean and do lots of big waterchanges.

***I also find that I am FORCED to do bigger waterchanges with beef mixes because they are messier, so maybe that is why they seem healthier and not because of the food.

Registered Member

Iv gotten lots of Discus from Hans,all at 2 1/2 inches,all grew to 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 in a year and beautiful!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Did not expect discus to grow this fast. After a little over a week I can tell they are much larger.

I notice some of them shiver and shake sometimes. Is that breeding behavior or just normal? I was also thinking of putting a medium in the tank in case they wanted to try to breed. Would a PVC pipe or brick work?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Too small for breeding. Maybe in a few months. Just keep the tank clean and feed good food

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

At 2 weeks, they are still pretty shy. When I enter the room, they dart behind the sponge filter and hangout there for a while before slowly re-emerging out. They've been better then the first day but its just a slow process I guess. Coming from mbuna's, this is just something I'll have to get used to because the mbunas I've kept are usually completed acclimated to the new tanks after one day.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

1 month update:

Brief Summary:

One out of the five discus one is currently being treated in a hospital tank with prazi + metro ( hasn't eaten since I got him)
    The other 4 discus have a healthy appetite and are doing well except one slow grower. He is eating just as much as the other discus but just growing slower.

All 5 discus together:

Hospital Tank:

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

ugghhhh I've been trying to figure out how to post pictures without using photobucket for the last hour. I'm out of space on photobucket and have been trying to use either google drive or iphoto with no success. Any tips anyone? I don't want to continue using photobucket if possible since a majority of my photos or not on there.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mkng07 View Post
    ugghhhh I've been trying to figure out how to post pictures without using photobucket for the last hour. I'm out of space on photobucket and have been trying to use either google drive or iphoto with no success. Any tips anyone? I don't want to continue using photobucket if possible since a majority of my photos or not on there.
    Try tinypic.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jeff12 View Post
    Try tinypic.
    Thanks.

Starting to feed them a beefheart mix now. Its a lot more work, waterchange wise but the discus seem to devour it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast