ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of Discus growing juvies.

Default Re: Thinking of Discus growing juvies.

someone on this board told me this. i'm paraphrasing.

but if you buy small, you don't know what you get until they are grown out.

in my case, growing them out was part of the fun, they really transform and it has been neat for all to see. neighbors thought i get different fish they change so much.

but if you are after some big fatties fast, the web is full of people that will take your cash.

a cactus.... LOL

i think i bought 15 dime size in the 90's to grow out, they were tiny and colorless they all made it ; )
    this time i got nickle/quarter size, they are still growing.
    Last edited by Jack L; 10-20-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Yup, growing them to 4 inches is fun (once) and you will know first hand how much effort is involved in that. I think every serious discus keeper should try it. I've been frustrated with my local breeder for selling me dime sized discus that weren't what he said they were. But what are going to do, I'm not going to exchange 3 inchers for dime sized ones again. I'm done raising tiny juvies, I know the effort involved and understand the economics of it. Would I do it again, hell no! But I think people should experience it for them selves once, yes!

Something I've always been curious about....is there a particular discus strain, that is heartier then others? In my own experience, I've noted that my cobalts seem to have fewer problems, and tend to grow larger, however, my expierence is limited, so I'd like to know what you more experienced people here think!?? Kris

Quote Originally Posted by krislewis3 View Post
    Something I've always been curious about....is there a particular discus strain, that is heartier then others? In my own experience, I've noted that my cobalts seem to have fewer problems, and tend to grow larger, however, my expierence is limited, so I'd like to know what you more experienced people here think!?? Kris
    I wouldn't say hardier but some types seem to be weaker. I think the more you inbreed, more issues will arise. At least that's what I gather from reading.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Thanks for all the advice fellas, my patients are limited these days with fry and it dosnt help with the time I have reserved for my 15 month old little one

Screw it large it is, seems like more fun!

Mike, still treat the 4 incher just like you would the 2s. Just look at it as time that someone else put into growing them. Sounds like you've got a grasp but just putting it out there that you can still stunt a 4 incher if you fall out of routine.

Kris, plus one on what Eddie said. If you look at some of the sponsors archives and people who post updates of those sponsors strains then you can sort of get an idea on some strains growth... But even that isn't totally reliable due to genetics. Hope that makes sense but I could see how it may make no sense at all ("60 percent of the time it works all the time..." -anchor man quote )
    -Elliot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12