ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Leopard Ctenopoma or African Butterfly with Discus?

Registered Member

Default Leopard Ctenopoma or African Butterfly with Discus?

These are two of my all time favorites..

I will have some schooling fish and maybe an Angel with my discus, but what about these two guys?

They are pretty solitary predators and only a threat to very small fish in the tank.

Anyone have experience with Discus sharing a tank with these guys?

Registered Member

Default Re: Leopard Ctenopoma or African Butterfly with Discus?

Not sure about the African Butterfly Cichlid, which is not very aggressive, but I have kept the African Butterfly successfully with my discus without any trouble. I love the almost prehistoric look to it.

Registered Member

Default Re: Leopard Ctenopoma or African Butterfly with Discus?

I got a ctenpoma with my new group of discus. I was ready to move him but after many hours/days of super close observation, they literally don't even acknowledge each other...ever. Its crazy! I honestly thought it would be a major problem initially because ctenpoma can hang with some pretty tough fish based on my personal experiences. Typcically they don't look for fights though so that's why I gave it a shot.

I had to move an angelfish that I thought was going to be okay with the discus but it started acting up...ctenpoma was literally NO problem. It feels so perverted though. I thought I would catch flak on this forum but if it aint broke I am not going to fix it. I love my lil guy..well, actually full grown 6' but...

I was pretty stunned myself! They are totally chill with one another and its been about 6 weeks now. Discus so no signs of distress and are super happy, eating and growing.

In my 100g I have six 3-4 inch discus, one ctenpoma and one datnoid (7-8 inch) -- again no problems with the dat either. Just amazing....well, to me at least

C