ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drip System.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Drip System.

So I know alot of the pros don't use the drip System as a water change option but is it really that far in efficiency for growing Discus to there full size?

Default Re: Drip System.

The problem really relies in cleanliness. Sure the water is fresh but the tank gets filthy and complete wipe downs are routinely required. Complete tank draining and filling is the best method to keep things under control.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    The problem really relies in cleanliness. Sure the water is fresh but the tank gets filthy and complete wipe downs are routinely required. Complete tank draining and filling is the best method to keep things under control.
    Never understand what is to be wiped off on the glass? Isn't it just Beneficial Bacteria and maybe some algae?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

So a drip could never compare to a remove then replace WC. Thanks for the opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by CANAMONSTER View Post
    Never understand what is to be wiped off on the glass? Isn't it just Beneficial Bacteria and maybe some algae?
    Discus produce excessive slime, more than most fish and it will build up/collect on everything. You definitely don't have to wipe anything but when problems begin to develop, it may be the source. Bacteria belong in the filter media.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I have to admit there is something appealing and tempting about the idea of a continuous drip or stream water replacement system. And theoretically it can be done as long as the tank is kept clean as Eddie has said. The problem is that translating the attractive theory into actual practice is a real PITA. I could write a small book describing all the efforts I put into it.

In the end I decided that it was better to focus my creative energy on clever ways to make plain old water changes easier, and to spend my money on tanks and fish rather than on gadgets.
    Last edited by DJW; 10-25-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonic View Post
    I have to admit there is something appealing and tempting about the idea of a continuous drip or stream water replacement system. And theoretically it can be done as long as the tank is kept clean as Eddie has said. The problem is that translating the attractive theory into actual practice is a real PITA. I could write a small book describing all the efforts I put into it.

In the end I decided that it was better to focus my creative energy on clever ways to make plain old water changes easier, and to spend my money on tanks and fish rather than on gadgets.
    Well, drill a hole in a sump as an overflow drain and run a water line in to the tank or sump with supply water. Really is simple.

Now I will give an example. If you fill a tank with fresh dechlorinated water, no fish yet. Then add a drip ( or Stream) so that mathematically every 24 hrs you have added the same volume of water (100%) As what drained out . That water has not changed chemically at all. Add fish and feed things change Nitrates start to rise or do they stay very low and consistent every day? Once or twice a week you can do a water change and a vacume.

So what I'm saying is that the water should never really change only from the build up of physical waste of the fish. Even if you removed just the waste every day and not the water wouldn't this be a plus?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Mike, the problem with a drip system is you are adding new water with old so in a days time you will not remove all the old water. You will only diluted the new water with the old water so you do not get a 100% water change. There is an article in the SimplyDiscus library you might find interesting http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/..._formula.shtml.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Mike, the problem with a drip system is you are adding new water with old so in a days time you will not remove all the old water. You will only diluted the new water with the old water so you do not get a 100% water change. There is an article in the SimplyDiscus library you might find interesting http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/..._formula.shtml.
    Pat
    Thanks, I guess I know what your saying, dilution will not amount to complete new water. Thank you for the link!

Real Name
    Filip

It would be good if you can use this system for automatic WCs instead of constant drip.
    That would help you cheat on manual maintenance some days when you have no Time or energy for manual Wc.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

The problem is not just the large amount of wastewater it takes to reach an equivalent change of water, and your increased water bill, its the source water itself. It has chlorine, chloramine, CO2 & pH swing, possibly nitrates... chances are you can't just start squirting tap water into the tank all day. This has been endlessly debated by the way, as you will see in past threads.

Silver Member

Algae does form on the glass, however that's not all that forms on the glass. It's made up of decomposing organic compounds that come from the food placed in the tank. This material feeds pathogens (bacteria, viruses, and parasites) and also results in compounds that are toxic to the fish. Some of the bacteria are beneficial, but not all. It also forms on the tank bottom and everything else in the tank. If you have something that has been in the tank for awhile, take it out and give it the "sniff test" by holding it close to your nose. The foul smell is decomposing organic compounds. Decomposition is a common process in nature as evident by the smell of a dead animal or decaying vegetation. Suggest reading the following post:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Are-Important

This explains the decomposition process and why it is necessary to remove this material from the tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Interesting. I guess Devil is in the detail with Discus! Thanks for all the advice. I'm looking forward to getting my half dozen! Little nervous about the time that's needed to Discus but I'm the type of person that you do it proper or not at all.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Great Forum by the way!

Silver Member

So I know alot of the pros don't use the drip System as a water change option but is it really that far in efficiency for growing Discus to there full size?
    The answer to this question depends on what the assumptions are. That's because there is more to cleaning a tank than just changing water. If the discussion is based just on water change alone, then the following link is helpful in comparing the efficiency between the two methods:

http://www.angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.php

Here's some representative data from the above link for a 100 g tank (rounded to the nearest gallon).

10g drip results in 10g replaced
    20g drip results in 18g replaced
    35g drip results in 30g replaced
    70g drip results in 50g replaced
    95g drip results in 61g replaced

Thus if one is willing to accept a decrease in efficiency then the drip system can be utilized to accomplish the same benefit proving that other tank maintenance is also performed. There are also other considerations such as treating the new water.

A clean tank depends on more than just water change. It is also important to remove the uneaten food and feces at the bottom of the tank. The drip method does nothing to accomplish this while the displacement method accomplishes both at the same time (assuming its done in the proper manner). It is also important to perform other tasks such as wiping down the glass and cleaning other objects in the tank.

Assuming that a tank has an overflow pipe, the drip method can result in much less work. For example, suppose one has a 100g tank and it is desired to replace 30g daily. First remove the uneaten food and feces by syphoning 5g off the tank bottom. Then set up the drip method to place 35g of new water in the tank over a 24 hour period. This new water does not have to be preheated since the tank heater can do the job. Removing 5g of old water each day is considerably easier than handling and heating 30g each day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast