ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monitor Recommendation For Viewing/Editing Photos

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Monitor Recommendation For Viewing/Editing Photos

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    This monitor is awesome in my humble and very Biased opinion. I've been using it a few years now.

al
    Very strongly leaning towards this monitor Al based on where I am, the current equipment (older laptop) I have and limited desk space. I can always upgrade when ready in the future.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Here is a discussion on how to link your laptop to a monitor depending on connections available; Matt was working towards this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/194319/the-...o-your-laptop/

Matt what about a docking station for Pat's laptop (if it only has USB ports)?
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    Here is a discussion on how to link your laptop to a monitor depending on connections available; Matt was working towards this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/194319/the-...o-your-laptop/

Matt what about a docking station for Pat's laptop (if it only has USB ports)?
    Stan, this is a gaming laptop and I actually have a HDMI output so no worries on driving a monitor with this laptop.
    Pat

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Here's a cheaper one:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058UUR6E/..._t3_B008DWH00K

However, the one you linked to seems to come with a custom calibration which may be much more appealing to a photographer that needs accurate colors. I will let Matt chime in here because I tend to go with the cheaper monitor and get the calibrator to help with the colors.
    I use this one too and love it.

Pat, since you have an nvidia card in your laptop you can use that to calibrate the monitor. If you don't already have the nvidia software, you can download it from their site for free and then google to find a good tutorial on how to calibrate it.

I LOVE my nvidia card, but it's a beast of a thing because I do so much graphics work. My laptop has the same smaller card that yours has and it's still pretty darned good.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    I use this one too and love it.

Pat, since you have an nvidia card in your laptop you can use that to calibrate the monitor. If you don't already have the nvidia software, you can download it from their site for free and then google to find a good tutorial on how to calibrate it.

I LOVE my nvidia card, but it's a beast of a thing because I do so much graphics work. My laptop has the same smaller card that yours has and it's still pretty darned good.
    That is great to know Toni

In case anyone is curious this is the laptop I have http://www.pcworld.com/article/223338/asus_G73SW.html. It is a couple years old now.

Real Name
    Matt

Yes sorry I didn't really finish the thought about hooking it to a monitor! For those out there curious or not knowing, you can take a small VGA, HDMI, or Display port cable and connect it from the laptop to the monitor and it will become a large screen for the laptop. You can hook a USB mouse and keyboard up to the laptop and the laptop doesn't even have to be opened apart from hitting the power button to turn it on. Like we were going through above, sometimes the computer's video card is not large enough to handle the resolution being sent to the other screen. I see this a lot in projection at work, as laptop's get smaller and thinner not only do they start losing connectivity through losing ports, but they lack the power needed to push through to a projector or large screen. Also, you increase your resolution and data able to be sent as you go from VGA < HDMI < Display Port. (HDMI does Audio as well).

When I started my search on that card's specs I figured you had that laptop Pat. Seemed to be the most popular combo.

I'm looking for a 34" 3440x1440 (though would love 4k) ultra wide IPS monitor myself. I need more editing and productivity space!!
    Last edited by Discus-n00b; 10-26-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    -Matt

I recently bought a Lenovo all in one PC, 23 inch, 1 TB hard drive, this is a great PC for photo editing 8MB ram and much faster than any laptop

http://shopap.lenovo.com/hk/en/deskt...series/c50-30/

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    I recently bought a Lenovo all in one PC, 23 inch, 1 TB hard drive, this is a great PC for photo editing 8MB ram and much faster than any laptop

http://shopap.lenovo.com/hk/en/deskt...series/c50-30/
    The processing power is on the low end I believe.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Its not bad actually. Photo editing doesn't need as much CPU boost as say video editing. It really factors in when you start having multiple applications open at once. Depends on which processor it has. The i5 is nothing to shake a stick at. i5's are still very widely used especially by gamers, they are much cheaper than their high end brother the i7 and will do everything they need them to do. i7 is like a professional and enthusiast chip, the i5 is like what your average home user would use, and the i3 is a budget friendly chip that is starting to age since it is strictly dual core. The 4th generation Intel chips are some of the most popular, still viable chips on the market today, easily some of the best that are still viable IMO. They are only 2 generations removed and quite honestly JUST barely 2 as the 6th just launched months ago. Spawned some of the most popular architecture and the so called "Devil's Canyon" chips which are what I would term as "Savage" in the computing world, they earn their name sake. Speed wise the i7 devil's canyon that came out of 4th generation can compete with my brand new i7 from the 6th generation in many cases.

8gb RAM is still plenty no matter what PC you are using. I'm running 16gb, though I want to eventually put in 32. 8 is a good standard still unless you are going for a real high end platform where you will be doing a lot of multitasking and hardcore video editing. As a market we are slowly moving to the more is better mindset where you will see 16 become a standard but the RAM market is NOT out pacing or even keeping up with the CPU market anymore like it used to. The RAM market is lagging quite terribly in new innovation and implementation. It's a shame because you start to see it become a bottleneck as some of the new processors actually perform better with faster RAM....but companies producing the fast RAM can't get the technology out fast enough to support the new processors.

The only thing I don't like about those all in ones as a unit (there are many things I dislike as a traditional desktop user) is the storage. You have to use external drives to go above 2TB which can fill up fast with large digital files. Then you have to start splitting out your USB ports to plug in externals and bottleneck the read/write speeds. It's just a pet peeve as I love tons of storage space. Just put in a new 2TB hard drive myself in my box for storage.

Going back to monitors, I've seen the one I'd love to have. Problem is it's upwards of a grand right now. Hoping it drops by Christmas or just after. Might just have to settle for another option of the same size and lose a few features. And for the record, SO glad I switched back to Nvidia. Was rocking AMD for a while because that's all I had, glad to finally be rid of it and be back on the green side.
    Last edited by Discus-n00b; 10-28-2015 at 11:45 PM.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Its not bad actually. Photo editing doesn't need as much CPU boost as say video editing. It really factors in when you start having multiple applications open at once. Depends on which processor it has. The i5 is nothing to shake a stick at. i5's are still very widely used especially by gamers, they are much cheaper than their high end brother the i7 and will do everything they need them to do. i7 is like a professional and enthusiast chip, the i5 is like what your average home user would use, and the i3 is a budget friendly chip that is starting to age since it is strictly dual core. The 4th generation Intel chips are some of the most popular, still viable chips on the market today, easily some of the best that are still viable IMO. They are only 2 generations removed and quite honestly JUST barely 2 as the 6th just launched months ago. Spawned some of the most popular architecture and the so called "Devil's Canyon" chips which are what I would term as "Savage" in the computing world, they earn their name sake. Speed wise the i7 devil's canyon that came out of 4th generation can compete with my brand new i7 from the 6th generation in many cases.

8gb RAM is still plenty no matter what PC you are using. I'm running 16gb, though I want to eventually put in 32. 8 is a good standard still unless you are going for a real high end platform where you will be doing a lot of multitasking and hardcore video editing. As a market we are slowly moving to the more is better mindset where you will see 16 become a standard but the RAM market is NOT out pacing or even keeping up with the CPU market anymore like it used to. The RAM market is lagging quite terribly in new innovation and implementation. It's a shame because you start to see it become a bottleneck as some of the new processors actually perform better with faster RAM....but companies producing the fast RAM can't get the technology out fast enough to support the new processors.

The only thing I don't like about those all in ones as a unit (there are many things I dislike as a traditional desktop user) is the storage. You have to use external drives to go above 2TB which can fill up fast with large digital files. Then you have to start splitting out your USB ports to plug in externals and bottleneck the read/write speeds. It's just a pet peeve as I love tons of storage space. Just put in a new 2TB hard drive myself in my box for storage.

Going back to monitors, I've seen the one I'd love to have. Problem is it's upwards of a grand right now. Hoping it drops by Christmas or just after. Might just have to settle for another option of the same size and lose a few features. And for the record, SO glad I switched back to Nvidia. Was rocking AMD for a while because that's all I had, glad to finally be rid of it and be back on the green side.
    the one I was looking at had an i3

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12