ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What area of SoCal are you from?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: What area of SoCal are you from?

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac1 View Post
    Thanks , what part of pacoima are you from ?
    streets you mean? Off the 118 Paxton. Where the 118 and 210 meet

Again, if you are ever around the way, give me a holler.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    streets you mean? Off the 118 Paxton. Where the 118 and 210 meet

Again, if you are ever around the way, give me a holler.
    Your actually closer than I thought lol thanks man, when I get the chance I will let you know

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Joe

Joe (113iokepa) Burbank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Joe

Burbank

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by 113iokepa View Post
    Joe (113iokepa) Burbank
    Quote Originally Posted by 113iokepa View Post
    Burbank
    well, you make our group and even 12 Joe!

You are very close to me. If you ever want to check out some discus, just let me know.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Im from Cerritos. But my discus will be living in my office tank in Bellflower.

HELLO EVERYONE!!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by djdirte View Post
    Im from Cerritos. But my discus will be living in my office tank in Bellflower.

HELLO EVERYONE!!
    Cool, Cerritos isn't that far! I added you to the main list!

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA!!!!!!

Hello good peoples. Glad I found you guys as I am pretty new to this forum and was looking for peeps in other areas.

I just got into discus-keeping but have been working with tropical fish for about 10 years. I have a 100gallon that's been est. for about 5 years continuously. And just got my fist 6 discus within the last 6 weeks here from various LFS in the general area.

I now understand that this is not exactly the best way to go...ESPECIALLY if you ask any of the enthusiasts here. Well jeez! They are correct! My life had been in turmoil and just became happy again; all of the fish survived and are healthy, eating and seem like they are pretty in decent shape (visually, aesthetics, based on the limited knowledge I currently have).

I was thinking I could handle about 10-12 total (fully grown) for my 100g if I am going to do 2Xs WC weekly at about 25%? Opinions wanted!

I currently have 2 Aqualclear 110s HOB filters on my setup.

I would also love to connect with other discus keepers in my area to learn more and just be more involved in general.

If anyone has good advice on breeders, enthusiasts, etc. with good genetics in our area please drop knowledge on me. I have seen/heard great things about Kenny Discus, Hans Discus but would think that being Los Angeles...there are a TON of breeders, hobbyist and possibly GOOD retailers in our area that can help me stock my tank over time. I DO NOT mind adopting beautiful fish either! I am being highly selective for my last spots and want to focus on getting some BANGERS!! Nothing super specific in mind.

But mainly wanted introduce myself with a, 'hello, hi!' and say that I am looking forward to be a part of this thing we call...DISCUS

#discusforlife

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiesmalls View Post
    LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA!!!!!!

Hello good peoples. Glad I found you guys as I am pretty new to this forum and was looking for peeps in other areas.

I just got into discus-keeping but have been working with tropical fish for about 10 years. I have a 100gallon that's been est. for about 5 years continuously. And just got my fist 6 discus within the last 6 weeks here from various LFS in the general area.

I now understand that this is not exactly the best way to go...ESPECIALLY if you ask any of the enthusiasts here. Well jeez! They are correct! My life had been in turmoil and just became happy again; all of the fish survived and are healthy, eating and seem like they are pretty in decent shape (visually, aesthetics, based on the limited knowledge I currently have).

I was thinking I could handle about 10-12 total (fully grown) for my 100g if I am going to do 2Xs WC weekly at about 25%? Opinions wanted!

I currently have 2 Aqualclear 110s HOB filters on my setup.

I would also love to connect with other discus keepers in my area to learn more and just be more involved in general.

If anyone has good advice on breeders, enthusiasts, etc. with good genetics in our area please drop knowledge on me. I have seen/heard great things about Kenny Discus, Hans Discus but would think that being Los Angeles...there are a TON of breeders, hobbyist and possibly GOOD retailers in our area that can help me stock my tank over time. I DO NOT mind adopting beautiful fish either! I am being highly selective for my last spots and want to focus on getting some BANGERS!! Nothing super specific in mind.

But mainly wanted introduce myself with a, 'hello, hi!' and say that I am looking forward to be a part of this thing we call...DISCUS

#discusforlife
    Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting in our SoCal section .

With your 100g, I would suggest simply keeping the 6 you currently have and grow them out. Reason being, you could theoretically keep the higher amount of discus that you desire, but it will not end well with the amount of WC's you plan on doing. You would need to do at least 2 to 3 times WC's at a much higher water volume exchange, somewhere around 50-75%

As far as good local hobbyist, we have quite a few, but the sponsors are the most recommended on the forum for a reason. They have super high quality discus at reasonable prices and they ship them right to your door.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Its been one month in this hobby. Man, old me was so stupid. 2X water changes at 25%??????.. I WAS TRIPPIN I do 3-4 @ 50% now

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiesmalls View Post
    Its been one month in this hobby. Man, old me was so stupid. 2X water changes at 25%??????.. I WAS TRIPPIN I do 3-4 @ 50% now
    I used to do 1x WC every month before I found SD. Imagine how I felt back then...

Cafepress.com

Hello

My name is David lurking here for years, which made me a Freshwater Convrt last year from Salt since 1998. Have three current setups 240, 185, and using my 55gal reef set up with MH UV light wet dry sump w/ skimmer and has a chiller too as my quarantine tank (would never in a million yrs seen that happening just a few yrs ago).

Live in Corona Ca currently but raised in Bellflower area so I travel all across the area. Very familiar with all the local stores Tongs in FV, 405 in HB, Brea Tropical Fish, Jan's in Upland, CK fish world in Covina, Reef tropical fish in Anaheim and Tropical Fish in Garden Grove its not pretty but he has over 100 5"-6" discus at all times.

Would love to split Kenny's shipping fee with someone every time.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Welcome to the forum! I know a lot of reefers in the Corona area. Glad you made the switch

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Hi y'all still new to the forum and discus keeping but it's so fun and addicting already. My names Justin and I stay in San Bernardino, would love to get together with anyone in the area or maybe some suggestions of breeders or good shops with decent prices in the area!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Hello Justin and welcome to SD and to our SoCal group! There are many sponsors here who could provide you with top quality discus

Cafepress.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast