ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

View Poll Results: How would you rate the growth rate of these fry on a scale of 1-10?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%

1 7.69%

0 0%

0 0%

1 7.69%

1 7.69%

3 23.08%

0 0%

7 53.85%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to grow out large fry experiment - How many water changes needed

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Default Re: How to grow out large fry experiment - How many water changes needed

Quote Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
    what was the cost involved in setting up the algae scrubber?

-kudos for trying a different approach.

Thanks, it was super easy to setup and relatively cheap for the discus hobby. I appreciate all the good stuff I've learned on Simply and hope to pass something small on.

This is what I bought for the scrubber and then just put it together:

$17.50 - Danner Aqua Supreme AP-4 Aquarium Air Pump, 3.5-watt
    $4.81 - PENN PLAX Air Stone, 10-Inch by 2-Inch
    $59.47 - LvjingŪ High Power 50W Led Plant Grow Light Panel 1365 Led Red + Blue for Hydroponic Plants Flowers Vegetables Greenhouse Hydro Lighting AC 85-265V
    $3.16 - Black airline tubbing
    $2.68 - 1-1/2"X2' PVC-PW/DWV SCH40 PIPE (Bought at Home Depot)
    $3.00 - Mesh Screen (I can't remember the exact price)

You can pretty much buy everything on Amazon. I've seen a lot of people just use cfl lighting instead of purchasing the led lights to save money. Just google "how to Algae Scrubber" or look on you tube and you'll find ton's of good ideas that you can customize for your specific system. A lot of the smaller scrubbers don't require a sump.

Real Name
    Luke

Default Re: How to grow out large fry experiment - How many water changes needed

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Here is the thing I don't understand. To run a successful experiment, a lot more documentation is needed. I would have loved to follow this over the course of the 2 -3 months with an initial post on the setup, the amount of fish, etc etc. Then it would be followed up with weekly or bi-weekly updates. As it now stands, it makes for an interesting post, but fails the litmus test on a true experiment.

Many questions are left unanswered

How many fry did you start with? Did you lose or cull any?
    At what stage where they introduced into this setup?
    Could you pull a few juvies and set them on a tape measure?
    Can we see a full tank show, it's hard to tell, but there appears to be a large discrepancy in size amongst the small batch.

When all is said and done, I am not sure exactly how this extrapolates into growing out a normal (read much larger) batch of fry. Not many of us on here that actively breed would bother with a batch of 9, most of us would need at least fifty, and prefer 150 to consider raising. Scalability of your setup is a huge concern.

At any rate, I am a big fan of algae scrubbers, but don't see them as viable for fry/juvie growout.

-Rick

Fair enough. I'll try something similar and do another post from the beginning some time in the future.

I'm not an "active breeder". If one of my pairs successfully had over 30 fry I'd be pretty super excited! They always eat most of them. Again, I think I should try the screen over the eggs method.

Here are a couple answers to your other questions:

How many fry did you start with? - 9
    Did you lose or cull any? - Yes, culled 2 (you can actually see pics of them on another Simply thread I started)
    At what stage where they introduced into this setup? - They were always in this setup
    Could you pull a few juvies and set them on a tape measure? - Next time I will, I did measure them on a tape but didn't take pics
    Can we see a full tank show, it's hard to tell, but there appears to be a large discrepancy in size amongst the small batch. - Not really, They were all pretty close. 2.5" - 3" after 53 days. Probably just my bad photography skills

As far as scalability: I see the algae scrubber as just another tool to keep healthier fish combined with overall good husbandry. Much of this will depend on your load, feeding and algae scrubber size. I've seen some pretty big scrubbers and I'm sure people with larger sumps could easily add twice the scrubber size I have in mine. Even if it only filters nitrates down to zero for 10 cubes feeding per day but you still feed more, it would at least help. 10 cubes is a lot of food (at least for my small tanks).

Here is the thing I don't understand. To run a successful experiment, a lot more documentation is needed. I would have loved to follow this over the course of the 2 -3 months with an initial post on the setup, the amount of fish, etc etc. Then it would be followed up with weekly or bi-weekly updates. As it now stands, it makes for an interesting post, but fails the litmus test on a true experiment.

Many questions are left unanswered

How many fry did you start with? Did you lose or cull any?
    At what stage where they introduced into this setup?
    Could you pull a few juvies and set them on a tape measure?
    Can we see a full tank show, it's hard to tell, but there appears to be a large discrepancy in size amongst the small batch.

When all is said and done, I am not sure exactly how this extrapolates into growing out a normal (read much larger) batch of fry. Not many of us on here that actively breed would bother with a batch of 9, most of us would need at least fifty, and prefer 150 to consider raising. Scalability of your setup is a huge concern.

At any rate, I am a big fan of algae scrubbers, but don't see them as viable for fry/juvie growout.

-Rick
    I agree, Rick, but he's already on his way with this one. Topic used may not match but still curious to see how it goes.

Jack, can we maybe get some pics like Rick was saying? And any other factors? I want to do an experiment in the future with a spawn and seperate them into (hopefully) three tanks. One will have twice a day wc's at about 90 percent each one, another will have once a day 90 percent, and another will be two 60 percent changes a week. I'm going to keep all feeding constant as well as bb. I've always wanted to do that. Alright, pics pics please!
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    I agree, Rick, but he's already on his way with this one. Topic used may not match but still curious to see how it goes.

Jack, can we maybe get some pics like Rick was saying? And any other factors? I want to do an experiment in the future with a spawn and seperate them into (hopefully) three tanks. One will have twice a day wc's at about 90 percent each one, another will have once a day 90 percent, and another will be two 60 percent changes a week. I'm going to keep all feeding constant as well as bb. I've always wanted to do that. Alright, pics pics please!

Happy to post some more pics. Are you referring to pics of the tank setup?

Your 3 tank trial sounds very interesting. I'll watch for it.

I pulled out the original fry and am going to try again with better documentation and hopefully a bigger group of fry that I'll grow out until adults.

-Luke

Definitely put a few right smack on a measuring tape if you're comfortable. It'll help you track their progress as well. Always hard to tell when putting tape up to tank (they won't stay still!). Actually, I went back and saw the set up and initial pics of fish (I'm guilty often of not going back and reading ).

Yeah, I want to do the 3 tank experiment but it's going to a be awhile. Next house I'll have the chance but this current one has a lousy set up.
    -Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by Luke in Phoenix View Post
    I can't hear the bubbles in mine but I can hear the faint hum of the air pump. It's not bad at all though if you get a good air pump.
    i meant the hum of air pump too, on youtube vids of scrubbers, i saw people complaining about the bubble noise.
    but the part you shared about it consuming the minerials i wasn't even thinking about before you mentioned it.

TDS = 310, Temperature 84, KH = 3
    I grew out 9 total fry in this setup. I just moved the Discus fry into another tank and put the parents back into the breeder tank.

These are the parents today back in the breeder tank, still 0 additional water changes as of today. They continued to lay eggs every 1-1.5 weeks along with 2 additional pairs in the display tank that also laid eggs on a schedule.
    Attachment 91574
    what size are these? just curious

Real Name
    Rick

Fair enough. I'll try something similar and do another post from the beginning some time in the future.

I'm not an "active breeder". If one of my pairs successfully had over 30 fry I'd be pretty super excited! They always eat most of them. Again, I think I should try the screen over the eggs method.

Here are a couple answers to your other questions:

How many fry did you start with? - 9
    Did you lose or cull any? - Yes, culled 2 (you can actually see pics of them on another Simply thread I started)
    At what stage where they introduced into this setup? - They were always in this setup
    Could you pull a few juvies and set them on a tape measure? - Next time I will, I did measure them on a tape but didn't take pics
    Can we see a full tank show, it's hard to tell, but there appears to be a large discrepancy in size amongst the small batch. - Not really, They were all pretty close. 2.5" - 3" after 53 days. Probably just my bad photography skills

As far as scalability: I see the algae scrubber as just another tool to keep healthier fish combined with overall good husbandry. Much of this will depend on your load, feeding and algae scrubber size. I've seen some pretty big scrubbers and I'm sure people with larger sumps could easily add twice the scrubber size I have in mine. Even if it only filters nitrates down to zero for 10 cubes feeding per day but you still feed more, it would at least help. 10 cubes is a lot of food (at least for my small tanks).
    Here is a competition that was run a few years ago.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...allenge-(2012)

It would be nice for you to follow that format. it would make any excellent source for comparison. Here is one of my three entries in that contest:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...d-x-Dark-Angel
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    what size are these? just curious
    I just put both of them on a tape and the mom measured 4.5" and the dad is 5.5"

Real Name
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    i meant the hum of air pump too, on youtube vids of scrubbers, i saw people complaining about the bubble noise.
    but the part you shared about it consuming the minerials i wasn't even thinking about before you mentioned it.
    It's not crazy fast but depending on your WC quantity you'll definitely notice. I suppose if you are breeding and want soft water then it's a benefit!

Real Name
    Luke

Here is a competition that was run a few years ago.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...allenge-(2012)

It would be nice for you to follow that format. it would make any excellent source for comparison. Here is one of my three entries in that contest:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...d-x-Dark-Angel
    Good format to follow. That would be a fun contest. Maybe they'll do it again.

Real Name
    Luke

Update:
    All fish appear and behave healthy.

I've taken everyone's input and have a new batch of fry that are ready for test #2. This test should be over 6 months with about 60 fry.

Link to second test thread: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...07#post1188507

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234