ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Juvenile Discus Grow out Progress Report with Pictures

Registered Member

Default Juvenile Discus Grow out Progress Report with Pictures

Hello, I am new to discus here and have been really enjoying the time I have spent with them so far. I really appreciate the vast knowledge on this board and it has made this hobby possible for me.

September 25th I received 8 Discus from Hans Discus. 7 Juvies at 2.5" and one Checkerboard at 1" I started them out in a barebottom 38 gallon bowfront and after two weeks moved them into a 75 that I picked up off craigslist. This is a barebottom discus only tank. As I am very new to this it is hard to translate what I am looking at with my fish to what you all are explaining in these boards. I am posting about a dozen pictures of my discus that I took a few days ago. I would appreciate it if you all could give me your opinion on how they are looking. I have read that the first couple months are of the utmost importance when it comes to raising juvies, so if there is a problem that can be recognize within the first month I would like to be able to correct it.

For the past month I have been feeding Han's Beefheart, with Cobalt Flakes. I bought some of Al's FDBW with spinach about a week ago and they are really digging that in the evenings directly after the water change.

I started out doing 50% daily water changes straight from the tap, but have progressed into 90% daily water changes for the past week or so. The large water change seems to not be stressing them at all, I have a series of buckets with fine foam to filter the water on its way into the tank. This completely out gasses the water and ph stays completely stable. The discus roam during water changes and feed directly after the equipment is put away.

My discus I received from Hans are as follows:

1 x Snakeskin Red Discus Fish 2.5 Inch
    1 x Pigeon Snakeskin Discus Fish 2.5 Inch
    1 x Blue Diamond Discus Fish 2.5 Inch
    1 x Marlboro Red Discus Fish 2.5 Inch
    1 x Checkerboard Discus 3"
    1 x Blue Pigeon Blood Discus 2.5 Inch
    1 x Tefe Discus Fish 2.5 Inch
    1 x Brillant Turquoise Discus Fish 2.5 inch

I am also having trouble telling which one is the pigeon snakeskin and which one is the blue pigeon blood. So if any of you can point one out I would appreciate it, as much as I enjoy the suspense of making guesses as they start to color in.

Also, the pictures looked much better on the small screen on my phone haha

Here is one of my Brilliant Turq.

I believe this is the pigeon Snakeskin here

Here is the Marlboro Red

My checkerboard of the left

Another of the Brilliant Turq

Snakeskin Red I believe. This one has always been slightly football shaped.

Another of the pigeon snakeskin I believe

The blue diamond of course

The Tefe on the right

I believe this is the Blue Pigeon Blood

And again

Let me know what you guys think, that may be too many pictures. Thank you in advance for the responses.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Juvenile Discus Grow out Progress Report with Pictures

Very nice looking group. Keep it up.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Thanks Rick, I was a little concerned that they were taking so long to color up. But from what I have read that appears to be ok

so the one you called blue pigeon is actually the snakeskin pigeon. coloration is all about maturity. may take many months just be patient.. they look great.
    Jorge Q