ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a couple Questions on HITH

Default a couple Questions on HITH

Hi All, a little over a week ago, I had one of my larger Discus come down with a severe case of HITH.
    one large hole right between his eyes. this fella is about 2 years old and I have never had an issue with him.
    anyways, into the hospital tank he went and I began a metro treatment. ( 500mg/10gl)
    at the moment this seems to be working, the hole seems to be closing up, and his appetite, which was never really bad, is pretty darn good.
    he is not hiding, greets me at the front of the glass as soon as I walk in.

my questions are this since this is really my first case of HITH
    1. does he fully recovery? as in does the hole disappear? or is he scared so to speak for life?
    beyond the hole he really seems in good shape.
    2. is there anything else I can or should be doing??

obviously, large water changes are happening everyday and will continue.

Default Re: a couple Questions on HITH

Hi Tom,

A picture would help here, but this sounds like its not HITH from a parasite (a good thing) Sometimes the pits in the fishes head get infected, and rupture (think pimple) It leaves a hole. That should close up and will not leave a scar unless its massive and doesn't heal well. One thing you can do here is net the fish and swab the hole with hydrogen peroxide or iodine. Lots of clean water and the usual care for discus here should help. Since you have started metro... continue that for 10 days at your current dosing.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Tom,

A picture would help here, but this sounds like its not HITH from a parasite (a good thing) Sometimes the pits in the fishes head get infected, and rupture (think pimple) It leaves a hole. That should close up and will not leave a scar unless its massive and doesn't heal well. One thing you can do here is net the fish and swab the hole with hydrogen peroxide or iodine. Lots of clean water and the usual care for discus here should help. Since you have started metro... continue that for 10 days at your current dosing.

hth,
    al
    hahaha, you guys are awesome. I will get you a pic of the original hole when it happened and what it looks like today, BUT that is exactly what happened. I seen this pimple 2 days before the hole. it really is exactly how you just explained it. but it was pretty massive in my eyes anyways. I will get a pic soon for you to look at.

Hi Tom,

hth,
    al
    Pictures as promised, so Al should I dilute the hydrogen peroxide of swab straight from the bottle.

first pic is a week ago and second one today

006.jpg039.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

that is a lot larger than I thought it was going to be. I'll let Al address it, but I'm not sure that is the size he had in mind?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    that is a lot larger than I thought it was going to be. I'll let Al address it, but I'm not sure that is the size he had in mind?
    yeah, its been getting better everyday and I do think its going to close up, but just don't think he will ever be as awesome as he once was.
    a bit of a bummer, he is 6.5 inches and starting to thicken up nicely.

Yep thats a classic localized bacterial infection... definetly not from a parasite. If it heals up, it'll probably be a pale area of tissue, but may not be too bad..It would actually be really helpful to the forum Tom if you post alot of update pics. If it look like its getting better, let the fishes system work...if you see any white areas, or reddish swollen areas I would try swabbing.... don't dilute. It does look like its recovering well on its own.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Yep thats a classic localized bacterial infection... definetly not from a parasite. If it heals up, it'll probably be a pale area of tissue, but may not be too bad..It would actually be really helpful to the forum Tom if you post alot of update pics. If it look like its getting better, let the fishes system work...if you see any white areas, or reddish swollen areas I would try swabbing.... don't dilute. It does look like its recovering well on its own.

hth,
    al
    OK, I will do a swab tomorrow as it is showing some white, pale color areas around the outside of the hole. thanks a bunch, i am glad i decided to post this today.

So I pulled him out today and swabbed the area with Hydrogen Perioxide, it is showing much improvement from 9 days ago.
    012.jpg014.jpg

Real Name
    Jacklyn

this thread is awesome OP. I am so happy you didn't cull that fish at the sight of that huge hole. I think many people automatically assume hole in the head when they see something near the head of a discus, when many times it is nothing of that sort. Lots of people confuse sensory pits with HITH and I will admit I did too at the first of my discus journey. This thread will help a lot with people who may think their fish has hole in the head. Good luck and I am so glad your fish is doing well, he looks great and you are to be commended for hanging in there with him to fix this problem.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thread stickied for now.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    this thread is awesome OP. I am so happy you didn't cull that fish at the sight of that huge hole. I think many people automatically assume hole in the head when they see something near the head of a discus, when many times it is nothing of that sort. Lots of people confuse sensory pits with HITH and I will admit I did too at the first of my discus journey. This thread will help a lot with people who may think their fish has hole in the head. Good luck and I am so glad your fish is doing well, he looks great and you are to be commended for hanging in there with him to fix this problem.
    Thanks Jacklyn, i definitely thought this was hith, but in no way would i have given up on him, he would have had to die on his own. he is doing quite well and is back in the DT, i will get some pics up.

So after a couple weeks of QT ( with a metro treatment of 10 days that i feel was unnecessary now) but with daily water changes i decided to put this fella back in the DT (needed to make room for a possible pair i recently got from Hans). because the hole was so massive i don't think he will return to his original form. BUT, thrilled that it looks like he will be just fine. he has a bit of a recession where the hole was, and his lines have not yet came back together, but his appetite is amazing and he seems real happy to be back with the group.
    050.jpg051.jpg053.jpg055.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Great documentation. TFS

Cafepress.com

another 10 days, I can see the lines coming back together. as I mentioned earlier, I don't think it will get back to where it was before the issue, but definitely seems to continue
    to get better. So, after about a month here is todays updated pictures
    013.jpg014.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast