AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Starting a new tank with Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Question Starting a new tank with Discus

Hi everyone.

I am a novice at this but planning to start a tank with Discus and other community fishes. I have done lots of researches and readings online the past couple of weeks. I have a 90 gallon tank. I plan to have a planted tank with Eco-Complete Subtrate. I have purchased a Fluval 406 External Filter, EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater, 250-Watt, and other necessary equipments (I think ) I will begin the fishless cycle process, but will use the Tetra SafeStart Plus to speed up the process. I am watching the How To Keep Discus on You Tube and have questions about the quarantine steps for new fishes.

Is there a preferred order of adding fishes? Discus first and other community fishes after or vice versa?

With a new tank, do I need to put the new fishes in a quarantine tank after I bought it from the store?

I will also be given 3 discus. These discus are already in an established tanks for a year now. Do I still need to put them in quarantine for a few weeks?

I have also purchased these equipments:
    Seachem Prime
    Seachem Ammonia Alert
    Fluval Ammonia Remover
    Fluval Biomax Bio Rings
    Fluval Zeo-Carb
    API Test Kit
    API Stress Coat Water Conditioner
    Python No Spill Clean & Fill Vacuum System

I would very highly appreciate your answers to my questions and any comments/suggestions about my plan for the tank, setup and equipments.

Thank you.

Dan

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Starting a new tank with Discus

All fish that you want in your tank should be quarantined at least for six weeks, also I may add go with bare bottom tank.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    All fish that you want in your tank should be quarantined at least for six weeks, also I may add go with bare bottom tank.
    agreed. QT everything. If I were you, I'd actually pass on getting the 3 discus. Get a nice sized group, possibly 8x 3-4" discus and put them in the new tank first. Then, QT the incoming dither fish and observe them for 6 weeks.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Thank you for your replies. There are so much to read about Discus. Nice to keep, but requires lots of WC.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I would eliminate the ammonia remover and the zeo-carb... let the biofilter handle the ammonia.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    agreed. QT everything. If I were you, I'd actually pass on getting the 3 discus. Get a nice sized group, possibly 8x 3-4" discus and put them in the new tank first. Then, QT the incoming dither fish and observe them for 6 weeks.
    Any particular reasons why you would pass on the 3 discus? I thought it would be better since these discus are already in a good environment and doing fine.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboyzz View Post
    Any particular reasons why you would pass on the 3 discus? I thought it would be better since these discus are already in a good environment and doing fine.

Thanks.
    free fish carrry alot of baggage.. lol.. just get al your fish from a sponsor.. and you will getting off to a good start.. MIXING fish from two sources is a terrible idea..

you are new to discus.. and you are seeking advice.. but its your tank.. and you will do it the way you see fit..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Most of this sounds good. Are the 3 fish fully grown? Planted tanks aren't always the healthiest for Discus. Bare bottom is reall a better way to work until you have some experience and understand how to keep these fish. Any new fish should be quarantined. I quarantine with praziquantel, metronidazole, etc. especially when I'm iffy re the source for the new fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    Most of this sounds good. Are the 3 fish fully grown? Planted tanks aren't always the healthiest for Discus. Bare bottom is reall a better way to work until you have some experience and understand how to keep these fish. Any new fish should be quarantined. I quarantine with praziquantel, metronidazole, etc. especially when I'm iffy re the source for the new fish.
    The fishes are about 4 inches and they are currently being raised in a BB tank.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboyzz View Post
    The fishes are about 4 inches and they are currently being raised in a BB tank.
    about 4 inches.. after a year.. ?!?!? when the size is "about 4 inches".. probably closer to 3..

nope.. walk away.. esp. if its a guy doing the measuring..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas