ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rio Negro Heckel Project

Real Name
    Fred

Default Re: Rio Negro Heckel Project

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Fred, you can acclimate them to eat in the upper reaches of the tank. Allow the cube to roll in the current where the water returns from the Aquaclear. The water flow will roll the cube and discharge the worms in the water column.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat, I'll try that. Right now I think they are still debating if I'm a big Piranha about to eat them or the guy that send the food from the sky, but they're leaning on the Piranha side mostly

Registered Member

Hey Fred, my friend,
    looks very good. This will be great. Try to get them to eat food with fruit elements. Think that just Heckel feel great with lots of vitamins. Especially when it's breed times. Impressive aquarium! Wish you the best Patrik
    www.patrikswild-discus.com

Real Name
    Fred

Hey Patrik buddy, nice to see you here , thanks. I'm glad you like them. Yes Fruits is in the plan, I have a fish mixture with fruits and Vegetable that I plan to introduce in the next few days. As for pieces of fruits any particular you recommend ?

The Heckels have come to see me as the guy that makes the food fall from the sky, They now come at the top and take the the FDBW. I have introduce some Discus Gran pellets that they are starting to take and some small pieces of flakes also.

PH has been lowered to 5.9... Will continue to lower it slowly and aiming to get it in the low 5 at the end of the week.

Cheers,

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by jawfish View Post
    Thanks JackL,

Plecochio, thanks I've been wanting to get a batch of small Heckels for 3 years... Just concentrated on domestic discus instead... my mistake, but I'm correcting this now.

Yhea the plywood tank is going to sweet. it will only be decorated with some nice wood and sand plus a few roots os some pothos at the top. After discussing with NanDiscus, I feel I may need an even bigger tank, but that was the reason to build those two to learn from them. This will only happen when I move wich should be within the next 12 months.

on another note these guys love FDBW, I just soak them a few minutes and release them on the output of the aquaclear, they need the food at the bottom of the tank, anything on the top 2/3 is simply not considered as food. once they started taking the FDBW they started eating some pellets once they went down with the worms...

I did do a 30% water change last night, PH is still at 6.4 and the conductivity at 65us, but tonight they will be getting another 40% but with a lower PH to bring it down in the 6.0-6.1 range...

Cheers,

Fred

I was going to putthe eheim, but I'm going with the wet dry instead.
    you probably know this, but i found the FDBW cube adheres nicely to the glass, you could just stick it on the glass low maybe

They took a little break. Building those two was a pain without proper work space... So I built the stand for them now I can continue working on them on their stand. This is my biggest stand to date. its 126 inch long by 32 inches wide and 28 inches high... There's 12 legs, made of two 2X4 supporting this guys. between the tanks I have some space to put two 26 inch by 4 inch diameter Siporax towers. You can also see the 40 gallons sumps underneath each plywood tanks
    don't mind the mess, just part of trying to do a fish room reorg while some fish are still there
    Attachment 91710

Because my basement floor is a joke and so uneven I decided to build adjustable bases out of 1/8 steel, 1/2 bolts and nuts... This is overkill when I compare my 130 gallons stand with six 3/8 adjustable feet, but I'd rather be on the safe side. the nut is welded on the plate, and the plate screws in the bottom of the doubled 2X4. But I love just having to take a wrench and making the adjustments to get my stand level.
    Attachment 91711

Attachment 91712
    curious, why are you building tanks out of wood?

Real Name
    Fred

Yes I know jack, but the Heckels don't know yet what the cube is made of... I'm sure in a couple of days they will :-)

Well the way my basement stairs are right now the longest tank I can bring down is 50 inch long... So A 50X30X22 made sense, but it would need to be custom built. I know down the line I want bigger, much bigger and a Plywood tank is one possibility. I figured might as well do a test build with the 50X30X22 and see how it goes. So far I think I will build the monster tank in the same way but with some minor tweeks. definitely will use weaved cloth next time.

Cheers
    Fred

ah, makes sense. guess you could try acrylic too if you wanted to custom build.

Registered Member

Hey Patrik buddy, nice to see you here , thanks. I'm glad you like them. Yes Fruits is in the plan, I have a fish mixture with fruits and Vegetable that I plan to introduce in the next few days. As for pieces of fruits any particular you recommend ?

The Heckels have come to see me as the guy that makes the food fall from the sky, They now come at the top and take the the FDBW. I have introduce some Discus Gran pellets that they are starting to take and some small pieces of flakes also.

PH has been lowered to 5.9... Will continue to lower it slowly and aiming to get it in the low 5 at the end of the week.

Cheers,

Fred
    Hello,
    Is also here sometimes Trying to avoid Facebook , im so tired of facebook.
    I have various own food mixes to my Heckel.
    In essence, I have always cod, clams and shrimp.
    A mix I've just different berries and then I take what I find.
    Blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, lingonberries, etc., just drive on.
    Then I have a mix, with just different fruits.
    Banana, pineapple, pear and so on. Just and test.
    Then a third mix mixed with both fruits and berries, as well as spirulina.
    I run every third day.
    Which I think is very good for the stomach on the discus.
    Just like people need to fish a healthy stomach to feel good.
    Last edited by majapaja; 11-10-2015 at 10:40 AM.
    www.patrikswild-discus.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Patrik, nice to see you here.

Fred, you might find this interesting. Post 18 in this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...eens-For-Wilds.

Quote Originally Posted by NanDiscus View Post
    I did try to feed many different types of plant matter to my discus and I now have a rather long list of what they like and what they don't like.

The Xingús will eat:
    watermelon
    apricot
    mulberries
    raspberries
    very sweet orange flesh
    very ripe plum flesh
    and the green algae I srape off of the insides of the tank. I always let them eat as much of it as they like before I vaccum the rest.

The Xingús will not eat:
    spinach
    bananas
    pineapple
    strawberries
    cherries
    and those I can't remember just now.

I don't prepare food mixes any longer so I try to keep my fish on a varied diet which -according to what I've read about wilds in general and what I've experienced in my own tank- I think should include some sort of greenery. I often see them graze on the branch that's closest to the neon tube and is covered with a thin film of beautifully green algae.

I guess this question of feeding or not feeding green stuff to our wilds is purely philosophical as many seem to be keeping them on a low-green diet and the fish are just fine. It is not something to have a debate about, but sharing experiences is definately a good thing to do. Mine are very different from the average I see above but I have no reason to question experiences different to mine.

Nandi
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Fred

Thanks Pat & Patrik

Yes fruits are getting on the menu thid week as well as my seafood mix with vegetable and fruits.

Cheers
    Fred

Real Name
    Fred

Hey Jack it didn't take them long to figure about the cubes on the glass

a.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

Now its time to really work on the flakes and pellets... They do eat them but only when they are at the bottom and soft.
    Also going to continue to introduce my seafood mix... It wasn't a success last night, but this is a long process :-)

1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (91.4 KB, 214 views)

nice. i made the mistake of cutting some cubes into smaller pieces, when i do that...it doesn't hold to the glass very long

now teach them to breed and ship me some juvies !
    and i'll send you some jungle val, its my own strain, giant val laced with about 4 types of algae... its very rare ; )

Real Name
    Fred

Here's a small video update, all are doing well and eating more and more pellets.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They are looking great Fred. How are you dropping the ph?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Fred,
    They are very pretty indeed and looking absolutely lively for wilds being in a new environment only for a week or so.
    I quite like their overall appearance, looks like you're lucky with this lot.
    My word of advice is to feed them on a very varied diet. Also, calculate the need for water changes, then take the result and double it.

Nandi
    --=== LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT ===--

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast