Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rio Negro Heckel Project

Default Re: Rio Negro Heckel Project

the what they move up and down is cool! like around 1:30
    you could put that to music : )

Real Name
    Fred

Pat I'm using peat, I have a bucket that I pump water into and it goes through a gallon and a half of peat. The bucket rest on the barrel cover and has a bulkhead at the bottom for the water to return to the barrel. I change the peat every two days. I figure might as well encourage the local peat harvesters
    I'm filtering a mix of RO water and tap water. I'm able to get it at 5.4 without acid...

Yhea Jack they are cool... They are quite tame and curious when someone come to see them.

Nandi... You're right they need plenty of varied source of food... They are eating FDBW, Blood Worms, some white worms and chopped compost worms and pellets. They are not yet going much for my seafood mix. I need to get them to eat some fruits... Gonna go to get some plum and figues to try for them to eat. Plus I got some clams also.

Cheers,

Fred

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Fred, how do you prevent the fine particles of peat from getting mixed up in the water? Do you let it settle or use a filter of some kind to trap the fines?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

You place a bunch of quilting batting in the bottom of the bucket and put your peat on top of that. I have used a bucket with peat like Fred describes.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I have been putting socks of peat in a dedicated HOB filter rather than circulating it through a barrel. Its the same principle on a smaller scale, with some floss on the downstream side of the peat. I suppose as long as there is a bypass of some sort in the event the floss gets plugged...

Real Name
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonic View Post
    I have been putting socks of peat in a dedicated HOB filter rather than circulating it through a barrel. Its the same principle on a smaller scale, with some floss on the downstream side of the peat. I suppose as long as there is a bypass of some sort in the event the floss gets plugged...
    I used to to that, when I needed to lower it at about 6.5, I'm building something similar but bigger. I want to add an inline heater to heat the water up more efficiently.

I clean everything every two-three days so I'm not worried, but I do rince the bags for at least 15 minutes to get rid of the dust before putting them in the bucket.

Real Name
    Pat

Question Fred, do you use the peat bucket as part of your water prep and is it running on the tank?
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jawfish View Post
    Pat I'm using peat, I have a bucket that I pump water into and it goes through a gallon and a half of peat. The bucket rest on the barrel cover and has a bulkhead at the bottom for the water to return to the barrel. I change the peat every two days. I figure might as well encourage the local peat harvesters
    I'm filtering a mix of RO water and tap water. I'm able to get it at 5.4 without acid...

Yhea Jack they are cool... They are quite tame and curious when someone come to see them.

Nandi... You're right they need plenty of varied source of food... They are eating FDBW, Blood Worms, some white worms and chopped compost worms and pellets. They are not yet going much for my seafood mix. I need to get them to eat some fruits... Gonna go to get some plum and figues to try for them to eat. Plus I got some clams also.

Cheers,

Fred
    why do you want them to eat fruit?

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    why do you want them to eat fruit?
    Part of their natural diet.

Real Name
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Question Fred, do you use the peat bucket as part of your water prep and is it running on the tank?
    Pat
    As part of my water prep only. I'm not too crazy of running peat on the main tank.

Fred

Real Name
    Fred

week 2 update:
    Well not much to report except all are doing well. the two that came in with large chunks of fins missing are healing very well. I'm feeding them 4 times a day trying get 5 feedings on weekends they do need to make up some lost time and put more meat on the bone. Yes they are juveniles alright, chassing each other after a good feeding... In december they will be ready to go in their 140's

WK2-1s.jpg

WK2-2s.jpg

WK2-3.jpg

Real Name
    Nicola

I will follow this interesting project. Excellent tanck the wood! good job

Real Name
    Fred

Thanks Marinum

Here this Sunday morning Video of my Heckels, I need to play with my camera to make better videos.

You will notice one not pretty Heckel in the center. I call him chunky... He's "flat top", and came in with large chunks of Anal and Dorsal fin missing. He was the skinniest discus of the group. He's been the one eating right from the start. He has been healing well and putting some meat on the bones. He's my indicator, he is the first fish I look at to see how thing are going in the group.

Real Name
    Fred

Heres this week update,

The wet dry is on the tank and doing its job well. Its an old amiracle 150 that I had from the late 90's, its filled with some small bioballs and I have a 800GPH pump running at 50% capacity... With the head pressure it muss be running at 250-275 gph. I've got the PH down to 5.4 now and I'm continuing to letting drop slowly.

Week3-2.jpgWeek3-1s.jpgWeek3-3s.jpg

Real Name
    Fred

How about an update

Lets start with what going on water wise... I've been letting the PH drift down. Its about 5.2 right now, my conductivity is at 85us. Temperature has been lowered to 29C . I've been giving them some chopped up clams and they are getting more used to the pellets. One thing I did notice is they love to pick at whatever is floating by, the smaller the better almost. Up to this point I can't really say they are much harder than domestics. Yes I'm giving them the water they want, i.e. low acidity, on the soft side and colored with tannins from the peat. Getting them to eat everything is slow, but FDBW is Discus Chocolate, I've never had a healthy discus refuse them. I've got great filtration with a wet-dry and some sponge filter because I always have sponge filters just in case or seed the next tank. Speaking of next tank, the plywood tanks are going up slowly, just because I've put them aside, since were house shopping and I've got more pressing matters on hand. But I do want to transfer them to one plywood tank for new years, might as well start 2016 in a new tank I'm also glad I'm building two as I'll have the other one ready for them when we move this spring.

WK4-2.jpgWK4-3.jpgWK4-4.jpgWK4-5.jpg
    Last edited by jawfish; 12-09-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast