AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help on keeping water clean for 3 weeks while on holiday.

Registered Member

Unhappy Help on keeping water clean for 3 weeks while on holiday.

Good Day fellow Discus enthusiasts

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I am getting married in march and then will be away on honeymoon fro 3 weeks.

I have had my discus for over a year now and they have spawned. I have put the breeding pair in a separate tank.

Once the babies have hatched they will be little over 2 months old when I go on on holiday.

So here's the problem. I can get someone to feed them 8 times a day but not to do the water changes so there in lies the problem. I want to know if there is any way to keep the water good enough for 3 weeks for the 2 month old fry to survive. I will even engineer big sumps as to give them a lot of water. what would be the best filtration to achieve this if it possible.

Kind regards
    Divan

Real Name
    Mark

Default Re: Help on keeping water clean for 3 weeks while on holiday.

I think you should watch a vid on youtube, DIY King on how to "never do water changes again" It's basically an automatic water drip system with an overflow system. This might help you...

Registered Member

Thank you very much. I will watch it.

Real Name
    Ralph

Hello Divan and welcome to Simply Discus...
    First of all...congrates on your plans for marriage.
    IMO...it would be best to not allow a spawn during that time as feeding fry and not changing water is not an option even for fry at 2 months old.
    Your pair will spawn again when your settled in at home where you can devote the time needed to properly care for the fry.
    Adults can stay that period but with no feeding and a large w/c prior to leaving.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Silver Member

Divan,

The best filtration that I know about involves the use of a product by SeaChem called Purigen. Look into this and if your interested, drop me a PM and I'll provide more information on how to use it. The PM feature is accessed on Simply Discus by the "Private Messages" tab at the page. Just address it to "afriend".

Paul
    Last edited by afriend; 01-06-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Registered Member

I have to agree with Ralph, if they spawn and even if you are successful at getting this first batch to live (for two months), the chances of you coming home to a healthy tank of 2 3/4 month old discus is about zero, considering no one will be there to change the water once or twice a day, several feedings a day. Etc. Etc.
    Just don't put the discus in the breeding tank and let the tank mates eat the eggs or wigglers if they do spawn.
    Trust me if you have never done a spawn from start to adult hood or at least 2.5in juvi you will agree with Ralph and I.
    I promise you breeding, grow out, and raising discus takes way more time then you could possibly imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Hello Divan and welcome to Simply Discus...
    First of all...congrates on your plans for marriage.
    IMO...it would be best to not allow a spawn during that time as feeding fry and not changing water is not an option even for fry at 2 months old.
    Your pair will spawn again when your settled in at home where you can devote the time needed to properly care for the fry.
    Adults can stay that period but with no feeding and a large w/c prior to leaving.

...Ralph

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

I've never had Discus, but can't healthy, big fish go quite a while with low or no food? The bonus that comes with reduced feeding is less need for water changes. I've "starved" smaller community fish or up to a week with no issues.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by MattArmstrong View Post
    I've never had Discus, but can't healthy, big fish go quite a while with low or no food? The bonus that comes with reduced feeding is less need for water changes. I've "starved" smaller community fish or up to a week with no issues.
    I'm sorry to go so off topic here, but Matt, after 11 years on the forum, you have never owned discus?!?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I'm sorry to go so off topic here, but Matt, after 11 years on the forum, you have never owned discus?!?
    I joined way way back, then fell completely out of the hobby, then got interested again. I had totally forgotten about my old account!

Anyway, regardless of fish type, I wouldn't have a friend feed my fish normal rates over three weeks with no water changes, especially if that friend was not a fish person that knew how to not over feed.