AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playing With Water - Low Ph

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Playing With Water - Low Ph

When I started this thread the ph in the Cuipeua tank was 7.13 which was right after I did a WC where the water was prepped at noted in the first post. The ph has since drifted below the 7.0 mark to about 6.90.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Pat,

Try a box of these.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21338

I purchased a bulk supply (6 boxes thinking that I would replace them once a month). I used 1 box so far and have not added any new one. It will drop your pH.

Van

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusOnly View Post
    Pat,

Try a box of these.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21338

I purchased a bulk supply (6 boxes thinking that I would replace them once a month). I used 1 box so far and have not added any new one. It will drop your pH.

Van
    Thanks Van, what size tank are you using this in?
    Pat

Pat,

I started with 1/2 a box on a 75 gallon. I added to the tank via a media bag in the AC110. It gave me some nice tannin but as it wore off, I put in the other half. Instead of dumping out the old ones, I just spread it on the bottom of the tank. I am using RO water only. pH drops down to low 4's within 12 hours. 50% WC brings the pH up to mid 5's For now, I don't have any tannin color but I didn't want to mess with the tank much as I think I got the water to be where I wanted. Slowly, I am thinking of adding a piece of DW but I never have good experience with those, especially with low pH water. I may put a little of the tea you suggested back soon.

I need to recalibrate my EC meter but don't have the correct solution (need to order some). With the TDS meter, it's around 60ppm.

Van
    Last edited by DiscusOnly; 11-18-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Van, it could take a lot of peat to affect the ph in this tank which is 230 gallons. So far the ph is falling slowly. Tomorrow I am doing a 50% WC and expect to see an small increase in ph and have it drop back down. The ph is currently 6.91.
    Pat

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Thanks Van, it could take a lot of peat to affect the ph in this tank which is 230 gallons. So far the ph is falling slowly. Tomorrow I am doing a 50% WC and expect to see an small increase in ph and have it drop back down. The ph is currently 6.91.
    Pat
    Are you using the peat in your tank, or are you using it to condition the water in you water change barrel? If the tank, wouldn't you continually have fluctuating water conditions every time you did a water change?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Pat

Rick, not using peak currently.
    Pat

Pat
    Pat,

It took me a few months with the peat in the tank and using RO only. I've only used 1 box of the 1lb super peat so far and have not used anymore. I began using it at the end of June.

I introduced the tea back to the tank last night to add some color and did see a small slight bump in pH (4.2 to 4.3) When I get a chance over the weekend, I'll post a video of the tank.
    Last edited by DiscusOnly; 11-19-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Are you using the peat in your tank, or are you using it to condition the water in you water change barrel? If the tank, wouldn't you continually have fluctuating water conditions every time you did a water change?
    I know the question was to Pat but Rick, I do get the pH to swing up to mid 5's whenever I do WC and add new RO. Overnight the pH drops back to the 4's. If I do too big of a WC, it will take I up to 6's.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I know the question was to Pat but Rick, I do get the pH to swing up to mid 5's whenever I do WC and add new RO. Overnight the pH drops back to the 4's. If I do too big of a WC, it will take I up to 6's.
    Even thru I am not currently using peat. To add to Rick's question and Van's observation...I do see a ph rise from 5.5 to 5.9 when I do a 50% water change on the altum tank. The ph drops back to 5.5 over a 24 hour period. So after the initial ph fluctuation the water parameters are steady. Please note the ph changes does not bother the altums one bit. If there is any fish sensitive to change it is altums.

Also note that my observations in the altum tank is what has lead me to try this on the Cuipeua tank.

Even thru I am not currently using peat. To add to Rick's question and Van's observation...I do see a ph rise from 5.5 to 5.9 when I do a 50% water change on the altum tank. The ph drops back to 5.5 over a 24 hour period. So after the initial ph fluctuation the water parameters are steady. Please note the ph changes does not bother the altums one bit. If there is any fish sensitive to change it is altums.

Also note that my observations in the altum tank is what has lead me to try this on the Cuipeua tank.
    Pat,

A few years back, I met Bev and Dale Newcomer who was raising altums and was trying to get them to breed. I believe they were using RO in their tank.

Real Name
    Pat

Pat,

A few years back, I met Bev and Dale Newcomer who was raising altums and was trying to get them to breed. I believe they were using RO in their tank.
    Van, one of my altum mentor's is breeding altums successfully and he is the source for how I am prepping my water for my altums. I am using RO water only for the altums, no added tap...but I do use RO Right (to adjust the TDS to 100) and Discus Essentials for additional minerals. Look at the fins on these guys.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Pat,

It took me a few months with the peat in the tank and using RO only. I've only used 1 box of the 1lb super peat so far and have not used anymore. I began using it at the end of June.

I introduced the tea back to the tank last night to add some color and did see a small slight bump in pH (4.2 to 4.3) When I get a chance over the weekend, I'll post a video of the tank.
    Would love to see a video of your tank and fish Van...thank you.
    Pat

Would love to see a video of your tank and fish Van...thank you.
    Pat
    Here you go Pat. Not active like your altums.

Real Name
    Pat

Nice Van, they are nice and beefy and active like discus should be. Do they prefer to blow at the peat more so the sand? If yes that indicates the type/color of bottom they would prefer to hunt in. Do you add anything to your RO water?
    Pat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast