AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formalin dosage

Registered Member

Default Formalin dosage

Hi all,

I need to treat for gill flukes and would be treating the whole tank. I have the NTlabs Formaldehyde 30% and was wondering if I can use the recommended dosage and how long I should wait to do a water change as its not indicated on the bottle. I also have bristle nose and Cardinal tetras in the same tank.

Would like your opinion on dosage.

Thanks
    Ian

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Formalin dosage

You may be able to use this NT Labs web site to calculate Dosage / Volume Calculator
    http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/products/Formaldehyde.html
    and Medicinal Treatment : Rules
    http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/learning-zon...ment+%3A+Rules
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

250 ml treats 17048 litres (3750 gallons)

3750 gallons / 250 ml = 1 ml : 15 gallons

approx. 20 drops = 1 ml : 15 gallons
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    You may be able to use this NT Labs web site to calculate Dosage / Volume Calculator
    http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/products/Formaldehyde.html
    and Medicinal Treatment : Rules
    http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/learning-zon...ment+%3A+Rules
    Was not sure if I can go by their recommendation as its really for koi but I guess it should be safe anyways... Not sure how the tetras and bristle nose will take the medication

Registered Member

When would I need to re dose it? After how many days?

wait>. i just realized?!?! you want to treat for "GILL FLUKES">. ?!?

probably just need to up your water changes to daily.. larger %..

of all the post that have put here about flukes.. i seriously doubt anyone has ever had them.. usually the problem is poor water quality..

you haven't mentioned any another of your 15 post i went thru.. nothing about your fish.. other then you have a pair.. you want to breed and their eggs have go fungus 5x.. and about RO/TDS
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

I do 60% Water changes every other day....
    To be honest i am not 100% its flukes. it could probably be just ich. however formalin supposedly heals both.
    Basically this is all my fault as the hospital tank was being used as a breeding tank temporarily ..........and i got new fish. being the bright spark that i am..... I put them directly in the main tank!

if they are not covered with WHITE SPOTS.. all over.. its not ICK.. ick is very distinct

formalin.. is a harsh med.. no need to treat and stress your fish out.. clean water does amazing things to help discus heal owner errors..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

ICH does not always show up as white spots. I have friends who had it and has absolutely no white spots. Have a look here http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/Tropi...id_Chart-2.pdf

Registered Member

the problem is that i have clean water (or so i would like to think) and this has been going on for over two weeks Basically heavy breathing and rubbing against things.

Quote Originally Posted by ipace View Post
    the problem is that i have clean water (or so i would like to think) and this has been going on for over two weeks Basically heavy breathing and rubbing against things.
    Clear water does not equal CLEAN Water.

there is still alot of information NOT know about your situation but just shotgunning meds is not the way to go.
    maybe fill out the disease questionnaire .. and copy/paste it here.. answer with as much detail as possible.. ok. and if you have pics to add.. even better
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Clear water does not equal CLEAN Water.

there is still alot of information NOT know about your situation but just shotgunning meds is not the way to go.
    maybe fill out the disease questionnaire .. and copy/paste it here.. answer with as much detail as possible.. ok. and if you have pics to add.. even better
    Thanks! Yes will do so shortly.

Ian

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by ipace View Post
    Was not sure if I can go by their recommendation as its really for koi but I guess it should be safe anyways... Not sure how the tetras and bristle nose will take the medication
    Formalin can be used at one half to one fourth the recommended dosage for Bristlenose Pleco. one fourth seams to be a safe bet.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Fish are rubbing against plants and objects and shaking fins. this started happening around two weeks ago when i added bristle nose and one discus with no QT (#SlapInTheFace)

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

as above - Rubbin, Heavy breathing, shaking fins

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Kuzuri Wormer Plus - normal dose

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

460L Tank
    8 x 3.5/4inch
    5 x 4.5/6inch
    4 angel fish
    8 cardinal tetras
    corydoras
    bristle nose

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

60% every other day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Running since Aug
    Fine sand around and inch deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Yes but 100%ro +minerals

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __32___ (usually at 30)

- ph __6.5___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _2/3__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water _100%___

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

5 Bristlenose and 1 Discus

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Photos wont help much at this point as they all seem happy apart from the heavy breathing

HI Ian,
    Photos may still help. Please post them of the fish in question and the other occupants.

Rubbin, Heavy breathing, shaking fins
    Plecos have been known to carry oodinium in their vents for months....Its possible what you are seeing is the early stages of oodinium. If you are doing 60% water changes every other day, this most likely is not a water quality issue.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast