AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

  1. #1
    Registered Member rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    12,865
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    Made a video to show how my sump/prefilter is set up. I get asked about it often and I figured this would be the easier way to show people. Let me know if you have questions.


    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread


    http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  2. #2
    Registered Member Jack L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    1,916
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    watching vid... u just gave me idea of where to attach my feeding ring!
    and that doesn't look dirty.
    thanks for vid.

    not sure if you saw this on poret site or not
    http://www.swisstropicals.com/librar...biofiltration/
    Last edited by Jack L; 11-11-2015 at 10:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Registered Member rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    12,865
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    watching vid... u just gave me idea of where to attach my feeding ring!
    and that doesn't look dirty.
    thanks for vid.

    not sure if you saw this on poret site or not
    http://www.swisstropicals.com/librar...biofiltration/
    Yeah, I remember reading that before purchasing the poret foam. The owner of that site is super helpful and friendly. Always replied to my emails in a matter of hours! Great product and great owner.

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread


    http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  4. #4
    Registered Member rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    12,865
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    I still haven't cleaned my poret foam but I am thinking of changing it tomorrow but checking nitrates level right before a water change. Should prove interesting.

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread


    http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  5. #5
    Registered Member Jack L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    1,916
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    i just re did my configuration, your video game me an idea for horizontal use of foam. used a scrap piece of 10 ppi horizontal on bottom as base, then have 2 gallons of matrix on top of that. trying to get better utilization of matrix and sump space.

    i also have noticed a build up of mulm behind the 30 in bottom of sump, there was an empty space. and any disturbance made it go all over, hope now it will stay settled in the base foam and under matrix.
    if you disturb it, and its anything like mine, your forecast is cloudy with a strong chance to floating mulm!


    fyi to others on foam, for comparison, the eshoppes foam compared to the poret foam, the poret all ppi i have 10/20&30 feel about 2x at firm compared to eshoppes. costs more, but not the same thing. poret heavier duty

  6. #6
    Registered Member rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    12,865
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    i just re did my configuration, your video game me an idea for horizontal use of foam. used a scrap piece of 10 ppi horizontal on bottom as base, then have 2 gallons of matrix on top of that. trying to get better utilization of matrix and sump space.

    i also have noticed a build up of mulm behind the 30 in bottom of sump, there was an empty space. and any disturbance made it go all over, hope now it will stay settled in the base foam and under matrix.
    if you disturb it, and its anything like mine, your forecast is cloudy with a strong chance to floating mulm!


    fyi to others on foam, for comparison, the eshoppes foam compared to the poret foam, the poret all ppi i have 10/20&30 feel about 2x at firm compared to eshoppes. costs more, but not the same thing. poret heavier duty
    agreed, the poret foam is a good consistency. Are you running the matrix loose? If so, I'd suggest putting it in a mesh bag.

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread


    http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  7. #7
    Registered Member Jack L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    1,916
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    yeah in mesh bags, will post update to my tank thread.

  8. #8
    Registered Member rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    12,865
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    Checked nitrates before water change. Had just fed BH, hadn't cleaned pre filter or filter floss and hadn't cleaned the poret foam. Nitrates were at 20ppm. That's really high by my standards but considering all the things I mentioned above I don't think it's that bad. I will retest later today. I have cleaned everything today

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread


    http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  9. #9
    Registered Member rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    12,865
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Checked nitrates before water change. Had just fed BH, hadn't cleaned pre filter or filter floss and hadn't cleaned the poret foam. Nitrates were at 20ppm. That's really high by my standards but considering all the things I mentioned above I don't think it's that bad. I will retest later today. I have cleaned everything today
    Did my WC after a few hours of doing a full water change and cleaning all my stuff out. Many wouldn't believe it, but Nitrates were at 0ppm. This was before their second round of BH. I'm sure it went up after that.

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread


    http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  10. #10
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,354
    iTrader
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Dan

    Default Re: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Did my WC after a few hours of doing a full water change and cleaning all my stuff out. Many wouldn't believe it, but Nitrates were at 0ppm. This was before their second round of BH. I'm sure it went up after that.
    Are you buying BH that has nitrates added to it?

  11. #11
    Registered Member Jack L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    1,916
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Did my WC after a few hours of doing a full water change and cleaning all my stuff out. Many wouldn't believe it, but Nitrates were at 0ppm. This was before their second round of BH. I'm sure it went up after that.
    seems believable, that is one of the points of water changes...no?

    what test do you use? i have found the API nitrate to be VERY sensitive to not enough shaking.

  12. #12
    Registered Member rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    12,865
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: Sump setup and media/sponge layout

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    seems believable, that is one of the points of water changes...no?

    what test do you use? i have found the API nitrate to be VERY sensitive to not enough shaking.
    I shake excessively, and the first test shows that my nitrates were indeed high. After I cleaned everything up, it went back down to 0ppm. I will check during the week to see what it goes up to. Never really do check those things, but it has me a little interested now.

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread


    http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Cafepress             AquaticSuppliers.com