ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't get more obvious than this! He's trying too hard!

Real Name
    Geoff

Default Doesn't get more obvious than this! He's trying too hard!

Not sure if I want them to breed but it's fun that to see them flirt
    Last edited by Loosir; 11-16-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Default Re: Doesn't get more obvious than this! He's trying too hard!

They're very nice fish. It's always fun watching them flirt and display for one another.

Real Name
    Geoff

Thanks Ryan! Means a lot coming from you!

She's cleaning the branch, the two look a bit different

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    She's cleaning the branch, the two look a bit different
    yeah, its a blue diamond and Flachen (solid turquoise), I'm not interested in breeding mutts so I'm not sure what to do if this budding romance takes off. I have two red turks and two pigeon reds but what are the chances of them picking the right mates?!

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Not a bad cross really.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Not a bad cross really.

-john
    That's good to know! I'm not really sure what blue diamonds are, are they albinos since they have no bars or pepper?
    Do you know if the offspring would be some sort of (50% mix with 25% and 25% true), or 100% mutt?

Thanks
    Geoff

Real Name
    Geoff

And yes I'm going to start reading up on the genetics threads!

Blue diamonds are not albinos and they're not pigeons. They make really nice crosses with other striated fish. Blue diamond x snakeskin, for instance, gives us Blue Scorpions which are one of the nicest blue varieties available IMO.

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Blue diamonds are not albinos and they're not pigeons. They make really nice crosses with other striated fish. Blue diamond x snakeskin, for instance, gives us Blue Scorpions which are one of the nicest blue varieties available IMO.
    Nice, Thank you so much Ryan, John and Al! I love that I have three big guns chiming in on this!

So I think I'm hearing this cross with the Flachen, which I believe is basically a cobalt with less pronounced bars is worth doing!

Real Name
    Ricardo

I know I've told you this before Geoff, but out of all the newcomers I have ever witnessed here, you are one of the few that heeded everyone's advice from the get-go, kept at it, and grew out some monster discus. If only everyone else did the same as you, we'd be watching a whole lot more of these videos.

Your discus look beautiful, and as others have said, that wouldn't be a bad cross. If you plan on breeding, do you have RO water/separate tank for breeding/separate tank for raising fry? If no, then no need to do anything, just let them be. However, just be aware that these discus will get even more aggressive as time goes on. If I remember correctly, you have a 55g (?), you may want to consider a slightly larger tank.
    Last edited by rickztahone; 11-17-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Not a big gun yet, just a pistol lol

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I know I've told you this before Geoff, but out of all the newcomers I have ever witnessed here, you are one of the few that heeded everyone's advice from the get-go, kept at it, and grew out some monster discus. If only everyone else did the same as you, we'd be watching a whole lot more of these videos.

Your discus look beautiful, and as others have said, that wouldn't be a bad cross. If you plan on breeding, do you have RO water/separate tank for breeding/separate tank for raising fry? If no, then no need to do anything, just let them be. However, just be aware that these discus will get even more aggressive as time goes on. If I remember correctly, you have a 55g (?), you may want to consider a slightly larger tank.
    OMG Ricardo, your going to make me cry, Thank you so much for the complements!

I was just sitting at the tank and noticed the shimmering so I had to make a video! No eggs. As far as breeding I have no idea yet but I do have my wife's permission with means it's 99% guaranteed that I'll try it! .
    Yes, all I have in the 55g + 20g sump and no RO. I will definitely have to figure out the breeding tanks if I decide to do this, I know Hans was selling some of his extra 29g and 75g predrilled tanks to make room.

FYI, 4th Big gun!!

Thanks again!
    Geoff
    Last edited by Loosir; 11-17-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Not a big gun yet, just a pistol lol
    Haha,
    But still, a pistol with some sweet fish, awesome cars and a lot of clout around here!!!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Loosir View Post
    OMG Ricardo, your going to make me cry, Thank you so much for the complements!

I was just sitting at the tank and noticed the shimmering so I had to make a video! No eggs. As far as breeding I have no idea yet but I do have my wife's permission with means it's 99% guaranteed that I'll try it! .
    Yes, all I have in the 55g + 20g sump and no RO. I will definitely have to figure out the breeding tanks if I decide to do this, I know Hans was selling some of his extra 29g and 75g predrilled tanks to make room.
    Thanks again!
    Geoff
    a couple of 29g hanging around isn't a bad idea. If you were to separate a few discus from the 55g, then the load would be less, however, depending on how many you left behind, they may become super aggressive towards one another.

If you plan on breeding, just make sure you read up. I know you do well in following good examples and I have no doubt you'd be good at it if you put your mind to it, just know that breeding is a whole other beast in this hobby. Think of the logistics and the costs and if you are willing to take that on. As you know, I am currently raising a batch of discus, probably 1/4 of the original spawn, and they are costing me a whole lot just on food. I can only imagine what a whole spawn of discus would cost. So, just consider all angles and don't go in blind is my only advice

With that being said, considering how nice your discus are, I do not see any problem with you moving any discus in your area.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast