AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gino's 50g Cube with Sump / Refugium Build

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gino

Default Gino's 50g Cube with Sump / Refugium Build

Hello,

This thread is going to be my adventure to jumping into Discus (Conversion from my reef tank).

Tank tear down and pics. Super dirty...

Cleaned and water fill up.

Equipment mess!!!!

Driftwood on soak.

Up to date sump.
    Just placed 5lbs of miracle Mud2 in 2nd chamber
    1st chamber will be K1 with two bubble wands for tumbling
    3rd chamber is carbon, bag of ceramic media.

Thanks for looking!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Gino's 50g Cube with Sump / Refugium Build

Well the carbon isn't needed. The micracle mud is one I rarely see used in a sump, wouldn't it be disturbed too often and end up in your return section possibly clogging it?

Your sump helps with the total volume of the whole system, but does not negate the fact that the tank is very limiting in space for a discus group. I personally feel you will have a difficult time raising/keeping discus in this footprint tank. That is just my opinion however. Good luck.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Phil

Hey Gino and welcome! You just got some great advice from a good guy above me here, Rick knows his stuff...

Hate to pile on and burst your bubble, but that is going to be a tough cube to keep any type of group... I know from experience as I tried a long time back with a 47 gallon tall rectangular type tank and it was just not a suitable set-up...

You could have a great setting for a nice big pair in that tank... but that is all I would suggest...

I am big on overstocking as you will see from my previous posts... I enjoy the look and the lack of aggression but its a pain water change and maintenance wise but I do it... That being said, the dimensions of that tank leave no real room for retreat movement...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gino

Thanks for the feedback and please feel free to critique

I've used the miracle mud (marine version) in my salt water setup to grow some macro algae and did not have any issues clogging the return pump. I rarely see this setup in FW so I want to try to venture out and experiment.

I do only plan on only having a pair of discus in the tank and schooling Rummy Nose / Cardinals.

I drove and prospected around the LFS in socal to see what they have to offer but did not look to well. I might just have to buy a mature pair online after my tank cycles and the water parameters are stable.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusGino View Post
    Thanks for the feedback and please feel free to critique

I've used the miracle mud (marine version) in my salt water setup to grow some macro algae and did not have any issues clogging the return pump. I rarely see this setup in FW so I want to try to venture out and experiment.

I do only plan on only having a pair of discus in the tank and schooling Rummy Nose / Cardinals.

I drove and prospected around the LFS in socal to see what they have to offer but did not look to well. I might just have to buy a mature pair online after my tank cycles and the water parameters are stable.
    Someone is currently selling a very nice pair of Penang's in our for sale section. However, I am not sure if they ship. Another option would be to go with our sponsor Eric or Hans for confirmed pairs. It will not be cheap, but may be cheaper than buying a group of 5-6 discus (depending on size). That tank would be great for a pair though. Good luck Gino.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Phil

Gino,

If that is your planned set-up then you should just be just fine...

DO NOT GO TO THE LFS!!!

Do yourself a huge gigantic favor and buy fish from our sponsors here... You will thank us all later... Again, heed my advice, I was in your position years ago before I found simply and did it all wrong... To help someone like you who is currently in the position I was once in makes me feel like I can do good based off my mistakes and heartbreak!

There are amazing sponsors on this site all of whom have pairs for sale or prospective pairs, Hans, Eric from Carolina to name a few... You will spend a pretty penny but it will provide you years of enjoyment... If you go to the LFS all the hard work you put in to re-doing this tank will go to waste with fish that will never reach a slight % of the life a sponsors fish will...

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I second that what Phillydubs said. Good luck my friend, want as many people to get into the hobby and start off right.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gino

Thanks for the info and the support! I will definitely get one from the sponsors. I've been actually checking out Han's video's for the past week lol. Now, I need to figure out which strain I want... Now the pain staking waiting game cycling the tank....

Real Name
    Phil

Patience my friend!!! Not easy but necessary! Wait it out and in the long run you will be thankful... Aquariums and fish are no fun when you are medicating and looking after sick fish, it is quite enjoyable and rewarding when you can enjoy healthy thriving fish!! Remember that!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gino

Update this past week:
    K1 media installed
    Placed wisteria in refugium chamber
    Placed fluval peat granules
    boiled the driftwoods that sank and temporarily placed in tank. Still have 4 pcs being cured.
    contemplated on adding sand... placed light white fine sand after not liking the BB look since my foam under the tank is like a tinfoil cover and reflects to much light.
    trying out a couple of water lettuce. I like the long roots...

Any advise on how much peat to use and or the frequency on changing them? my PH was at 8.1-8.2, now dropping down slowly after 24hrs.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Love the water lettuce roots. I have used it in the past and they grow so huge in such a short amount of time.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gino

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Love the water lettuce roots. I have used it in the past and they grow so huge in such a short amount of time.
    Thanks Rick. I love the way they slowly move and spin around the tank!

Those roots are really cool. Hmmmmmm.... Maybe I will copy you!

Always nice to see another reef to discus person!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gino

While waiting for the tank to fully cycle. Here is my plan for automatic water change which I will have the plumbing complete this week and programmed hopefully.

For now I will start with draining 1.5g every day at 6pm except for Sunday since Sat after 6 to Monday before the 6pm drain schedule will be my reservoir fill up / aging / airation / dechlorination day (Which I plan to plumb and drip Prime )

Will you paste the code for that? Very interesting. So the 10g tank fills until the float triggers with solenoid to shut off via the apex. 2 pumps turn on, one that pumps from the 10g to the sump and another from sump to drain. There is ATO pump too linked to another float or is that the return pump? Guessing you turn that off during the W/C? And the backup sump float shuts off the ATO and the WC pump from the 10g?

Will you remove the "old" water from the tank before adding new? How much water loss can the sump take before the pump runs dry, or will you have that off? How often and how large WC will you do with this system?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast