ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's show Spike some real discus

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Let's show Spike some real discus

This thread was started due to this thread:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ing-vs-web-pix

I'd hate to have Spike go to an LFS and think that these are examples of good discus. Spike is in Mission Viejo and would like for one of our members to be able to show him quality discus.

Kenny is over 400 miles away from him and Bill is pretty far too and I know Bill has downsized his Discus collection.

So, if anyone close to Spike can help him out to actually show him some discus and possible chat discus with him, I am sure that would be a great help to him.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Default Re: Let's show Spike some real discus

Spike or anyone ales is more than welcome to come over was just pm me

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

Guys,

Thanks a bunch. It's nice to have people who obviously want to pay it forward. I've done the same in Koi and know that a newbie is mostly a taker that will hopefully be able to give back as he/she matures in the hobby.

Thanks again for making me and the other newbies feel welcome.

Spike
    No matter how hard you try,
    You can't beat fun!

Real Name
    Tony

Welcome to SD Spike. I thought you are in Wild discus. If not you are welcome to check out my discus.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

Tony,

First, thanks for the offer. I really like the attitude on SD.

Long time ago I was surfing the web and discovered this pic on SD. I now have it as one of my wallpapers (on my monitor). So while the wilds do appeal to me, I'm not ready to decide just yet (I'm still "kickin' the tires").

DSC_0037.jpg

Spike
    You can't beat fun!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Cover View Post
    Tony,

First, thanks for the offer. I really like the attitude on SD.

Long time ago I was surfing the web and discovered this pic on SD. I now have it as one of my wallpapers (on my monitor). So while the wilds do appeal to me, I'm not ready to decide just yet (I'm still "kickin' the tires").

DSC_0037.jpg

Spike
    Good, this is the stage to explore . I'm not sure if you've been on the forum enough to know about my love of turquoise discus. Well, if you didn't before, you know now, lol.

Just as a FYI, I will tell you that the picture you have above isn't necessarily a photoshopped one, but that tank in particular had some really good lighting that really made the discus colors POP. Of course you can do this too with your eventual discus, but just know that these discus are showing that nice almost neon blue because the lighting enhances it.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Phil

Welcome! You have already been given some great advice as is to be expected around here... Consider yourself lucky that you get the chance to do things, "the right way" many of us, myself included, didn't find this forum until we messed up or worse so...

Rather than be redundant with pics, because I do not have any new ones, but I will take some soon... I have a thread regarding lights on my tank and the difference with an without... Maybe if a mod has it they can link you, or you can look up my posts... I am not big with the light, don't use it a ton, but when I do you can really see a big pop in color...So Rick makes an excellent point with regards to lighting... I always ask a breeder now that they use because a lot of times their lights are bigger or stronger and then you get the fish and are like hey wait... It isn't that they are trying to trick you... at least not the sponsors here, I can't speak from elsewhere as I never would go to those sources, it is just the lighting they run...

Most sponsors will also be happy to or already do post video... So yea, it is great to live close by and be able to go and see fish, but with the technology we have now, most in our pocket in the form of a phone you can pretty much be there... I am sure there are people who live very close to a sponsor and still may go to another across the country based on a strain or breeder they want, so it really all depends... Once you get that first shipment to your door, warm, healthy and gorgeous you will never think twice about it again!

Good Luck!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Good, this is the stage to explore . I'm not sure if you've been on the forum enough to know about my love of turquoise discus. Well, if you didn't before, you know now, lol.

Just as a FYI, I will tell you that the picture you have above isn't necessarily a photoshopped one, but that tank in particular had some really good lighting that really made the discus colors POP. Of course you can do this too with your eventual discus, but just know that these discus are showing that nice almost neon blue because the lighting enhances it.
    Thanks again. It's really nice to get all this feedback. I did save a pic of what I presumed was the light fixture from the person who posted those beautiful fish. Here 'tiz even tho it's from ~2008. So, smart fellow that I am, I picking up that lighting is important. Hey, Spike, have you heard about Lincoln?

DSC_0017.jpg

Spike

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Cover View Post
    Thanks again. It's really nice to get all this feedback. I did save a pic of what I presumed was the light fixture from the person who posted those beautiful fish. Here 'tiz even tho it's from ~2008. So, smart fellow that I am, I picking up that lighting is important. Hey, Spike, have you heard about Lincoln?

DSC_0017.jpg

Spike
    well there you go, that is a good lesson to learn. Lighting makes a big difference whether it is discus or planted tanks because they need a certain spectrum or a reef tank. Now in reefing, I have come to learn that they can spend over $1k on lighting and still feel it isn't enough. I thought this was ridiculous until I started researching more and more reef tanks. Lighting definitely is a main compenent there, and I believe can be with discus as well. Just mind the fact that many discus become more timid with really bright lights and usually look for places to hide when it is just too bright.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Spike, I am so glad that you start the thread. I am also starting the discus. I always want to look to see how other take care of their aquarium. I learn so much from the forum but it is still nice to actually see how other did it. I think there should be a quarterly meeting where newbies like me can come to see and get answer questioned.

Come on down

spike you probably already know this, but somehow i didn't until on this board

a planted Discus tank, isn't like their biotype. i saw so many photos of it, it was in my head to do planted.

but, not only have i grown to like the plant less tanks i've seen on here (SOME OF THEM), having a planted tank is something of a PIA.

plants take care just like fish, and when you get them going good, you just make more work for yourself to maintain them.

and don't be afraid of Discus, IME experience other more common LFS fish are much more fragile.

Hey Spike I live in Northern California in the bay area to be exact. I'm 30 minutes away from alameda and 40 minutes away from Kenny's discus if you like to swing by I can show you my fish room.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph.FK View Post
    Spike, I am so glad that you start the thread. I am also starting the discus. I always want to look to see how other take care of their aquarium. I learn so much from the forum but it is still nice to actually see how other did it. I think there should be a quarterly meeting where newbies like me can come to see and get answer questioned.
    Joseph, you are much closer to the general area. I am sure someone can show you some great discus. I know I am a ways away, but if anyone ever want to come on down to my area, I'd be more than happy to show you my tank. Granted, it is only the one tank, but it is better than nothing?

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    Hey Spike I live in Northern California in the bay area to be exact. I'm 30 minutes away from alameda and 40 minutes away from Kenny's discus if you like to swing by I can show you my fish room.
    If I get up to that area, I'll try to take you up on your offer.

Thanks,
    Spike
    You can't beat fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast