ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Attempt 2 - advice needed

Registered Member

Default Attempt 2 - advice needed

Hello all,

I am on my second set of eggs. I learned a few lessons the first time around so I'm still trying to get this down pat.

My first batch got to the swimming stage of life. I started to do water changes with the tank and lost them all in just a few days. I took this into account of A - using water right from the tap B - the fry could not attach because they are PB and couldn't find them. To rectify this I did the following

Bought a 75 gallon tank for aged water. Covered the tank in white paper and bought mosquito netting to wrap the black filter in.

So, with the second batch they laid eggs and all but 3 were fertilized. Eggs hatched - did water change with aged water. Again water is tap with only a circulation pump, air stone, and a heater. did about 35%. I lost a good amount there fore afterwards. I have about 10-30 left that are about to enter the swimming stage tomorrow.

Here are my questions for the next batch of lessons learned. A. how long is too long for aged water. B. How often do you feed the parents if at all during the first week or two. I feed daily 2 times and both parents eat right away. even the day after. C. how often and how much of a water change AFTER they lay said eggs. D. will lower the water to an inch or two higher than the discus so the fry can hopefully find them E. from the research i have been finding says that if the eggs get fertilized with tap then RO may not be needed - true? false?

I talked to one breeder who said he could only get his discus to breed by using RO water. he lives about 30 min away from me and seemed quit surprised I had fish breeding in tap water and in a community tank (now in a 29 gallon) He is getting out of the hobby and I will be absorbing most of his supplies/tanks etc. He has an RO system with filters for $100. if its worth it and something i need i can pick that up. I have been scouring the forums/google for these answers but could not locate or located too many conflicting answers. please include any extra advice that may possibly be helpful. attached photo of my pair as well with their first batch. the pair is from kenny and they paired off about 2-3 days after arriving in my community tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brett72586; 11-24-2015 at 01:41 AM. Reason: typos

Registered Member

Default Re: Attempt 2 - advice needed

any one?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Attempt 2 - advice needed

An RO unit with filters for $ 100 bucks sounds like a a good deal, you may have to replace the membrane and elements depending how old they are. Any idea it's output?.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"