ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Female German Blue Rams?

Registered Member

Default Re: Female German Blue Rams?

Well, there's been a weird twist... The poor ram in the bottom picture who got a big chunk of his fin ripped off died 2 days ago. The other two appear to have paired up. They're swimming and resting together and nipping each other in a decidedly gentle way. I've even caught them rubbing up against each other. But they still both look male. The smaller one has ever so slightly rounded fins, but still absolutely not even a hint of pink on its belly. I'm not trying for fry or anything, I just want two happy, healthy rams who get along. Can male rams "pair up"?

Registered Member

I don't see why not... I mean, I've seen angels and yes, even discus have a same sex pairing.

Good luck with the other two.

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    So I picked up three young rams a few days ago, hoping two would pair off, but I'm starting to think I might have 3 females. They have blue spots in the black when the light is just right, but have long, sharp fins and white bellies. I'm trying to attach a picture, but it doesn't seem to be working. Do they have to be a certain size in order to sex them? Mine are about 1 1/4 inches.Attachment 92150
    Cael
    They are all males .I bred blue rams before in addition to the red belly with it should be plump.
    The females has diamonds spots ( inside the black spot) The way I recall it "girls like diamonds"
    This from my experience and always work for me.
    right now I got a possible pair and female that has lay eggs twice, but I don't think my male know his job.

Julian.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

There is a fair amount of variation in Rams, in my experience. In general the females will be more compact and torpedo-shaped, and they are smaller... but the size difference might not become obvious until they are 5 months old. The fact that one became the odd man out and got beat up leads me to think the one in the uppermost picture might be a female.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12