AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Is there a breeding guide on here

Registered Member

Default Is there a breeding guide on here

I was wondering if there's a step by step guide on here on how to get your discus to breed successfully
    I've been trying and I'm not having any luck and I need help 😳
    Cheers Marty

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Is there a breeding guide on here

A number of subjects on breeding here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...reeding-Discus

If list your problems someone will able to guide you as to what to do next.
    Last edited by Akili; 11-27-2015 at 10:32 PM.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    A number of subjects on breeding here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...reeding-Discus

If list your problems someone will able to guide you as to what to do next.
    Let's give the OP some credit, that's where he posted. Marty from what I've seen no, there is not a guide. Most advice seems to be, let them pair up, RO water, let them be until they get it right, lay eggs, leave with parents until free swimming and attach, BBS and remove from parents when required, no more RO water and the whole time tons of water changes. I need a guide myself but the trends have become a bit apparent. GL!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Loosir View Post
    Let's give the OP some credit, that's where he posted. Marty from what I've seen no, there is not a guide. Most advice seems to be, let them pair up, RO water, let them be until they get it right, lay eggs, leave with parents until free swimming and attach, BBS and remove from parents when required, no more RO water and the whole time tons of water changes. I need a guide myself but the trends have become a bit apparent. GL!
    Pretty much sums it. However, I will just point out that although Geoff aludes to it, you want the "possible pair" to establish themselves in a community tank. Let them breed and try to raise the eggs in a community tank. Chances are you will not have a community tank with RO water, so chances are that the eggs won't hatch, but they will protect the eggs as if they were viable. Let them do this a few times and then put them in a 29g tank with a seeded sponge filter. Do regular water changes to keep the tank clean.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Geoff

Thanks Ricardo! I want to reiderate that I'm not a breeder haven't even gotten my fish to lay eggs yet, please wait and listen to other members to chime in who do k ow what they're doing. But I am on the hunt for a breeders bible also and have been reading a lot up on the subject, all from this site of course.
    Thanks
    Geoff

Real Name
    Naz

Found this today it is step by step, perhaps it will help http://www.chensdiscus.co.uk/breeding
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Breeding discus is extemely easy. The most basic thing for healthy animals to do is to reproduce. With discus all it takes is healthy adults and the right water. There is plenty of documentation in this section to cover everything....but the old school basic way was to get 6 to 10 small discus and grow them out together in a 75 gallon bare bottom tank at 82 degrees with large daily water changes until they are mature. They will normally pair off between 9 and 18 months. Once you get a pair formed and have either watched them spawn to assure that you have a male and a female or wait until they produce wigglers to prove the same thing. Then you move them to their own tank. Usually between 20 and 29 gallons. After that just be patient. If at that point you have any specific issues we can address them on a one to one basis.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Thanks guys