AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for raising angelfish?

Real Name
    David Satow

Default Tips for raising angelfish?

After a few years i have managed to successfully get angelfish to free swimming multiple times, just never to the classic angelfish body ship. The male is a silver and female is a high coverage marble. Any tips on raising them? are currently in a marina hang on the side breeder box being fed spirulina (I think thats how you spell it) first bites.
    Any help is appreciated!

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Tips for raising angelfish?

I always got best results by feeding newly hatched brine shrimp and Beef Heart Paste.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    David Satow

Have never heard of beef heart paste!
    It's just a box with water... and a few extremely expensive mutts...

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy456 View Post
    Have never heard of beef heart paste!
    http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticlePasteFood.htm
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    David Satow

thank you very much

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Treat them like discus and you cannot kill them. I love them but try not to keep them. They tend to fill up all of my discus tanks with angel fry...LOL.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    David Satow

ive only gotten about 30/40 out of this batch. Tinkering around with the best way to raise them from egg to freeswimming and beyond in a breeder box which is harder than it seems for the sole reason of not having enough flow and eggs get infected.

Ditch the breeder box. Get a 20 gallon at Petco during the next $1 per gallon sale, put in a heater and a sponge, and raise the fry there. It's very easy to mess up angels' developing fins if you don't keep the water clean and the tank wiped down to prevent bacterial build-up.

If the parents will guard them for 2 days until hatching, I'd vacuum out the wrigglers and put them in a net breeder inside the 20 gallon. Place an airstone in the tank about 2" away from the net breeder, enough to circulate air over the wrigglers but not enough to blow them all over the place. You can go in with a piece of rigid airline tubing or a small syringe once or twice a day and remove any white/dead/fungused ones you see, if you want.

Once they lift off the bottom of the net breeder and you have a cloud of free-swimmers, feed them newly hatched BBS. Once you see orange tummies, you can just let them out of the net breeder and into the tank. This is how I've always raised mine. The higher volume of water will keep it cleaner than if you try raising them in a tiny breeder box. There's no room for error in such a small space.

Feed several times a day with BBS. Do at least a 50% water change daily, preceded by a wipe-down of the glass bottom and sides. If you have a small bristlenose pleco, you can put him in the tank to clean up leftover brine and slime.

Real Name
    David Satow

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Ditch the breeder box. Get a 20 gallon at Petco during the next $1 per gallon sale, put in a heater and a sponge, and raise the fry there. It's very easy to mess up angels' developing fins if you don't keep the water clean and the tank wiped down to prevent bacterial build-up.

If the parents will guard them for 2 days until hatching, I'd vacuum out the wrigglers and put them in a net breeder inside the 20 gallon. Place an airstone in the tank about 2" away from the net breeder, enough to circulate air over the wrigglers but not enough to blow them all over the place. You can go in with a piece of rigid airline tubing or a small syringe once or twice a day and remove any white/dead/fungused ones you see, if you want.

Once they lift off the bottom of the net breeder and you have a cloud of free-swimmers, feed them newly hatched BBS. Once you see orange tummies, you can just let them out of the net breeder and into the tank. This is how I've always raised mine. The higher volume of water will keep it cleaner than if you try raising them in a tiny breeder box. There's no room for error in such a small space.

Feed several times a day with BBS. Do at least a 50% water change daily, preceded by a wipe-down of the glass bottom and sides. If you have a small bristlenose pleco, you can put him in the tank to clean up leftover brine and slime.
    Thank you very much this is great information! How should I suction them though? I have tried with a gravel siphon but always seem to pop them and commit mass genocide!

Get a piece of rigid airline tubing, about 8 - 10" long, and attach it to a piece of flexible airline tubing. Use this as a miniature siphon.

I made several of these and I use them for all sorts of things -- aerating my brine shrimp hatcheries, suctioning out wrigglers/fry, target-feeding brine to fry, etc.

Real Name
    David Satow

Interesting, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

As an angelfish breeder I have to say that Ryan could not have explained it any better..
    Jorge Q

All good advice. Try the 1 gallon wiggler jars from Angels Plus. I have many spawns going at the same time and it makes it easy to keep them separate by parents and date. Keeps the bbs right in their faces. Works for me. Just don't forget to turn the air back on after feeding. You can fit at least 6 in a 29 gallon.
    Over 50 years in fish and it still feels brand new!! Woodduck

Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    All good advice. Try the 1 gallon wiggler jars from Angels Plus. I have many spawns going at the same time and it makes it easy to keep them separate by parents and date. Keeps the bbs right in their faces. Works for me. Just don't forget to turn the air back on after feeding. You can fit at least 6 in a 29 gallon.
    ++1, the jars are awesome, but in a hurry you can easily forget the air and when you return from work it's too late. Been there done that.
    Jorge Q

Real Name
    David Satow

image1 2.jpgimage2.jpg

(Just an fyi the large plant in the back has been great for this tank, huge, gives the kribs lots of places to hide and play, and get this... doesn't need light ***gasp*** will be honest don't think its grown since I've had it in this tank though. Not 100% sure on the name but it is called plants plastics)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast