ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Dragon's Cuipeua F2 - 4 remaining

Registered Member

Default Dragon's Cuipeua F2 - 4 remaining

Please and thanks for your help

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Discus turning dark/swimming to the back of the tank or staying by the filter. Problem started 2 weeks ago and now has claimed the life of a second one.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Turning dark, swimming slowly, staying to the back of the tank or by the filters

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    75 gal, 5 mths, was 6 now 4 and around 3 – 3 ½ inch

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    90% every 1 to 2 days

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    For 4 mths

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    Yes age for 24 hours, ph doesn’t move

8. Parameters and water source;
    Have not tested for a while

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _83____

- ph __7.8___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading ___0_

- nitrate reading __0__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __100%__

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No new fish or plants

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

it's the one on the right closest to the bottle

Darkest one in the pic

Bottom discus in the image
    [/B]

The other discus in the tank

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Dragon's Cuipeua F2 - 4 remaining

Darn, hate to see this. So the two affected ones so far just turned dark and died. Did they quit eating? No rubbing etc. Could you see any grey looking areas in the slime coat if you looked down the side of the fish? Did you try to touch the fish does it seem slow to react to your touch.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Darn, hate to see this. So the two affected ones so far just turned dark and died. Did they quit eating? No rubbing etc. Could you see any grey looking areas in the slime coat if you looked down the side of the fish? Did you try to touch the fish does it seem slow to react to your touch.
    Pat
    Yes Pat, just turned dark and bye bye. Was eating that morning as far as I can tell. I usually just sit with them for 10 mins to make sure everyone was eating and everything. No rubbing or anything, just back turned and in the back or close to the filter. No grey area, I took a good look at the one last night. Flipped the gill plate and everything was normal pink and light pink. He was slow to react when I picked him up and yes I was able to hand pick him from the back where he was in the pic. The others just swam to the other side as usual.

Thanks again Pat for the help

Real Name
    Pat

Geez, I have never had one go this fast. Maybe some sort of slow contamination?? Any odors around the tank. Spray anything around the tank? Add anything to the water?
    Pat

Registered Member

Nothing in that room. Also all tanks are covered. The only thing that comes to mind is some sort of bacteria that happens every 2 weeks or so.

I use safe and the barrels are used between all 3 tanks. Water only goes into using the same pump from the barrels. I have a separate pump for removing water.

No odors (that swamp smell you're referring too LOL).

I mean from the pics they look healthy enough. I was thinking to just WC normal and or use some metro?

Real Name
    Ralph

Dragon...just 4 days ago all was fine and now this. Sorry to hear.
    I've had some mysterious deaths 2 months back but mine never turned dark. Came home to find 2 Blue PB 6"+ dead fully colored no marks bright red eyes.
    Give Vern a call or some veteran's here will chime in.
    Hope the others end up fine.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Pat

Dragon, I reviewed your growout thread and this one and want you to make some changes. Only give your discus enough BH that they can eat in a short period of time. After a half hour or so remove any that is left on the bottom. I think some of your guys might have eaten BH which has been sitting in the tank a while and might be bad.

You could feed BH an hour before a water change also.
    Pat

Registered Member

Will do

Registered Member

Ok so I'm down to my last 2. I've started a metro treatment schedule. Funny enough the all are eating and not flashing or anything. Sat and watched them eat and poo and all showing black poo.

The only thing is when I find them dead the bodies are not dark and no stress bars show. Might be something but at this point I'm out of ideas. Lets see if the metro will clear up the last 2.

Real Name
    Ralph

What a bummer Dragon...
    I think my buddies at Toronto Water are messing with our water. Never had any issues until recent when some grow-outs I've raised from 2.5"-3" and now 5.5"-6" stopped eating and lost 2x 6" Blue PB.
    Noticed white fluffy poop and suspected Hexamita.
    On my 8th day of 10 day treatment with Metro and they seem much-much better. Photo was before treatment and think I just caught it in time.
    We just have to get right back up and move on but a heart breaker with your group that were looking great.

...Ralph
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Yeah I know, even Vern asked if I did something LOL. If this was 2 yrs ago, I would have said yes I messed up, but not this time LOL. I was wondering if my vacation this year had anything to do with it?? I cleaned the tank lastnight again, the last two are looking normal and swimming and playing, eating pooing black etc. I'm watching them now on my webcam and the don't have any stress bars showing or anything.

Well, I hope these make it and are a pair (fingers crossed, fingers crossed) so I can get the group back up and running. Worst case, is only 1 survives and I get to mix them with the wild green set.

We'll see, I can only do so much.

Thanks everyone