ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner's mistakes...Asking for advice on ich

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Beginner's mistakes...Asking for advice on ich

Dang that looks bad - thanks a lot for the heads up. The one I have is just a little Ancistrus dolichopterus but I'd still rather not risk it...

Real Name
    Naz

One more thing about Plecos is that they produce massive amounts of waste thus increased bioload.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Yea - that actually became quite obvious in the BB tank. I couldn't help myself and moved the discus to the 75g today (pics below), and rehomed the pleco. It's amazing how much better they were looking this morning after uping to 50% wc's 2x daily. I'm going to keep up with daily wc's in the 75g but was thinking just 50% 1x/d. It's going to be interesting to see if I can keep them happy with the potted plants in there - but I'm not going to hesitate to dump the plants if I see things going downhill.
    Another quick question - do your growing fish ever seem satisfied after you feed them? I have the benefit of being home for the next few months so I'm doing 5-6 small feeds/day but these guys are ravenous. Haha I think I could feed them every 30min if I was up to doing the wc's. (Could be the hot temp - I'm still slowly bringing that down.)

IMG_0023.jpgIMG_0021.jpgIMG_0020.jpg

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

What a difference, they look great!!

I think you made the right decision in moving them. Just expect a mini-cycle in the tank and keep up with the twice a day water changes till your ammonia and nitrites hit 0ppm.

Myself? I do a 90% WC once a day while mine are growing, then reduce it once they reach 6". It's just what I was told to do when I started out on these forums and when I saw how HUGE my discus grew, I became a believer and kept on with it each time I grew out a new batch.

I know that some people only do 50% per day and they seem to do ok with it though.

But wow, what a change in your discus from the first pics on this thread. Amazing!
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Thanks! (To be fair, the lighting was very poor in the small tank.)

I'm definitely rapidly becoming a believer in the power of the water change. From keeping other fish, I think I've always been hung up on the idea of maintaining a good nitrogen cycle which can be done with substrate and minimal wc's - but with discus it seems like the water change is the key.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12