AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Planted 20 gallon tall tank

Registered Member Tentacle Slinger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Marcos

Default Planted 20 gallon tall tank

Hello,

First time posting so if i make mistakes please be easy.

Anyways I just got my hands on a 20g tall tank and for now I'm looking to just make a full carpet of baby tears in it(no fish no other plants). I plan to use ADA aquasoil about 3" as the only substrate however I'm having a hard time locating some nearby, shipping is ridiculous where i live I heard flourite is an okay substitute or eco complete so let me know please. This is the lighting im using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00 Its 30 watts 6000-6500K it hangs 24" from the substrate. I want to get a co2 injector in the future but for now i will use Excel and regular flourish along with some root tabs. If you have any suggestions please let me know any help is appreciated. I also don't know if in a fish less system i need to do water changes or have a filter (i planed to just have a small jet in it.).

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Planted 20 gallon tall tank

Welcome tentacle.

First of all I would advise you to join plant oriented forums for plant growing professional answers such as barrreport, UKAPS,plantedtank,APC. Etc.
    This is discus oriented forum so the answers on plants may not be the best they can.

Now for your plan.
    IMO, ADA amazonia is the best for delicate plants such as baby tears,next comes fluorite and at the end Eco Complete.
    Light is commercial led and they are worst choise for growing plants.
    don't ask me why but I've seen it on my friend s tanks and they are not good.

You'll either have to buy expensive professional grow led or go with T5 neon bulbs.

In fishless tank you only do wc to prevent and control algae.
    Start with once a week WC and change according to algae presence.

HTH.