ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: ARG Metronidazole Powder Shelf Life

Registered Member

Default ARG Metronidazole Powder Shelf Life

Hi All,

Does anyone know the shelf life of ARG metronidazole powder? I do not have any sick fish that needed metro treatment at this moment. But I want to keep some metro handy in case I need it.

Thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: ARG Metronidazole Powder Shelf Life

I keep mine in a freezer when not in use. It should last years if stored in that manner. Just remember to warm it to room temperature before removing the lid. Otherwise moisture from the air will condense on the medication and reduce its long-term stability. If you store it in a frost-free freezer, don't store it in the door and also try to keep it away from the sides. If stored improperly, it could possibly undergo a number of freeze/thaw cycles, which would also reduce its stability. If possible, store it in a non-frost-free freezer or bury it among other frozen materials so it won't experience a lot of temperature swings.

Registered Member

Frost free freezer? I only have the regular refrigator that everyone has. I'm not sure if mine has the frost free freezer. So store in the frig is not good enough? Or store in room temp? I think my room is pretty dry especially when the heater is on during winter time.

Registered Member

You can store at room temperature if you wish. Rule of thumb: the colder and dryer the storage environment, the longer the shelf life. If you have room you could store the Metronidazole in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator as the preferred method of storage. Next would be the refrigerator. Third would be room temperature in a cool dry location.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley Eirich View Post
    You can store at room temperature if you wish. Rule of thumb: the colder and dryer the storage environment, the longer the shelf life. If you have room you could store the Metronidazole in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator as the preferred method of storage. Next would be the refrigerator. Third would be room temperature in a cool dry location.
    Got it. Thanks Dudley.

Real Name
    Steve

FYI - and without contradicting anyone else, my bottle has an expiration date on it. It says it's got two more years, and I've already had it at least a year.