AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Raising Discus Fry & Angel fish fry Artificially/without parents

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark A. Thomas

Default Raising Discus Fry & Angel fish fry Artificially/without parents

Hello I am new to the discus and angel fish breeding. I have successfully raised betta fry to adulthood and one batch of angel fish. However I am having troubles getting the angel fish and discus past three days after they are free swimming. I do not, for the life of me know what I did right with my first batch of angels to get them raised up. Once they are wigglers I put them in fresh water. After the first full day of swimming I start feeding them bbs three times a day. Then around the second full day they start to die and by the third day they have all died. I have tried spring water, spring water tap water mix and just tap water with l the same results.
    This last time I did a complete water change the first two days of their free swimming. but no luck they still died.
    The first batch of angels I did raise I just had an air stone. This last batch I used a small sponge filter.
    They are hatched out in pure tap water without any dechlorinates added to the water. The hatching out is not a problem just keeping them going. I finally had my first batch of discus hatch out the other day and again they lasted about two and a half days free swimming. The reason I removed them from their parents was they end up eating the wigglers. I did have a screen over them but when they wiggled off they came up missing I am assuming a snack for mom because I had removed dad thinking he was the one chowing down on them. ANY ADVICE OR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS MARK

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Raising Discus Fry & Angel fish fry Artificially/without parents

Hope this helps Raising Discus Fry Artificially by Vern Archer http://www.archersdiscus.com/artificial_13.html
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Here is a link for you.

-john

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...light=shoe+box

One thing to add is you will also need to keep the shoe box clean.
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark A. Thomas

Thanks John don't know if I have ever seen a plastic shoe box but I have a couple of other oblong
    plastic containers I will try to design one. This is when I wish my son who is in the army was here
    he can look at the design make it work. But he is in Texas and I'm in OH but I give it a try
    Thanks again
    Mrk