AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: SunSun Canister is Leaking

Registered Member

Default SunSun Canister is Leaking

Hi All,

I did a filter clean up last Thursday and the filter is leaking water on Friday. The leak is from the top barrel O ring. The SunSun canister 303B is about 4 years old. This is the first time the leak happened.

I've just ordered the O rings from American Product. Did anyone has experience dealing this vendor? They have already shipped out my order, so it seems they are pretty quick of processing orders.

Is there any be aware things I need to know when replacing the O ring? Anyone use any lotion and grease for the new O ring to extend its life?

Thanks

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: SunSun Canister is Leaking

I clean the filters each month and lube the O ring's with Vaseline or vegetable oil to help keep them from drying out over time and or cracking.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    I clean the filters each month and lube the O ring's with Vaseline or vegetable oil to help keep them from drying out over time and or cracking.
    Thanks Akili. I will use some cooking oil to lubricate the new O ring then.

Real Name
    Naz

Vaseline remains my first choice but it gets messy, with oil I just dampen a towel with Oil and apply.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Thanks Akili. I've never apply anything to the filter O ring before. Your advice is very helpful.

Now I have a problem with water. Ammonia hit 0.5 PPM last night after I turned off the filter for 24 hours because I am waiting for the new O ring to be delivered from Oregon to NYC. So I had to do a 80% w/c last night.

The leak doesn't start right away, it started to leak after 10 hours also the first time. I left the filter on for about 11 hours overnight and did not leak. And turned off the filter before I leave home for work this morning. It's another 11 hours before I get home tonight to check things.

It's a headache. I did not expect the Ammonia level spike so quickly even with the daily 80% w/c.

Real Name
    Bill

It's a good idea to lubricate your o-rings every so often when you do maintenance; otherwise the rubber degrades faster and they stretch out and/or crack, and you start to see leaks.

Oftentimes just adding a lubricant when you have a slow leak will allow you to keep running a filter, and should at least until your replacement shows up. I have used Vaseline with no ill effects (it tends to turn white and clump a little over time), though people tend to recommend against petroleum-based lubricants at least for long-term use, as I think they may slowly degrade the o-ring as well. Best solution is something silicone-based; I picked up some of this at the big box store: http://www.lowes.com/pd_316733-1003-...ductId=3152031

If you are fighting ammonia and can't be home to keep an eye on the filter, or can't watch it like a hawk when you are home, try sitting it in a plastic container or bucket to catch any water that might seep out. That should let you keep running it in the meantime.

Registered Member

I do leave the filter in a rubber pan (about 4" in height). But the speed of leaking is not slow. I don't think the pan will be able to hold all the water after 11 hours. But the filter is sitting in the rubber pan now and it is better than nothing.

Thanks for the link to that lub Tshethar. I would have to look if Home Depot has it or not. Or maybe some of the LFS has it?

Real Name
    Ricardo

alternatively, you can place all the media in the tank itself. All it needs is air. You can place all the media in a 2L soda bottle and place an air stone at the bottom of it. If you search through Chicago discus' threads, you will see how they adapt their media in this fashion.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Joe

Use Danco, Inc waterproof grease and works well for me. This can be easily purchased at Loew's or Home Depot. It's perfect give it a try; have 302B canister and no leak problems on ring. I know plumbers use this this and it's handy.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 113iokepa View Post
    Use Danco, Inc waterproof grease and works well for me. This can be easily purchased at Loew's or Home Depot. It's perfect give it a try; have 302B canister and no leak problems on ring. I know plumbers use this this and it's handy.
    Is it safe to use for aquarium? Thanks

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by 32Bit_Fish View Post
    Is it safe to use for aquarium? Thanks
    Should be Ok as it used for drinking water Quote ""Thank you for your inquiry. Both are silicone based, both are safe for use with potable water. The Waterproof Grease is a good installation aid for non-moving parts, just to help get them in place and to protect seals and gaskets. The silicone grease is the better choice if you need a long-term lubricant for moving parts. ""

Regards,

Scott Graham
    Technical Support/Customer Service
    Danco Inc.
    800-523-5135
    dancosupport@nch.com

Source:http://terrylove.com/forums/index.ph...-grease.15916/
    Quote from Colin Powell

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

regardless of what type of lubricant you use , you need to use it sparingly and always wipe the excess lubricant with some tissue or towel .silicon based lubricant are safe .i always keep a spare o ring in case and when i service the filter i stretch the o ring and if i see tiny little crack ,it is the indication that you need to order a new o ring ,the lubricant will stop the slow leak but till you receive your new o ring . when you service your filter make sure that the grove that o rings fit in to is clean i e no algae,also that your o ring is not twisted inside the grove ,apply minimal lubricant to the edge the vessel where the o ring comes in to contact with when you close the filter . putting the filter in a plastic container is a good practice as well .on other thing ,you can always use seachem prime if you have excess ammonia in emergency situation .
    good lock
    sayid