AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does light matter? You be the judge

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Does light matter? You be the judge

Rather than go on a super winded explanation, I will explain the process on how I took these shots:

First:
    Control shots. This is how I would normally take shots with no added light or flash

Second set:
    Added a 48" T5HO light I had lying around

Third set:
    Started with one flash, then moved to two

The goal of this thread is to show you the different options for taking a wide range of shots, but additionally, what happens when you transition from one shooting style to the next. I have not adjusted ANYTHING but white balance on mostly the T5 lit ones since they were super, super yellow.

I have titled every single shot according to their EXIF. This is how it will read, ___my title for the shot___its order_-__Shutter speed__F-stop__ISO

I will try to give a little explanation under each to show what I was doing through every shot. I tried to consolidate as much as I could so you wouldn't be seeing the same EXIF on many. if I missed one, I apologize.

Lets get started:

Control 1 - 1-40 4.5 800

This is the control shot. This is how I would normally shoot if I didn't have flash

Control Close Up 1-40 4.5 800

The close up shows some ok sharpness, but nothing to write home about

New Light 1 - 1-60 2.8 400

T5 Light added. Notice I didn't change the settings much to show how much more overexposed the shot is now that I have added a ton more light. The next few shots show the transition of settings to accommodate to the added light. This will show you in what direction you want to take your settings when you are letting in too much light in to a shot and overexposing.

New Light 2 - 1-60 4.0 400

Notice I closed down the aperture a little here to f/4 rather than f/2.8 and it is still very bright

New Light 3 Close Up - 1-60 4.0 400

Same settings as above but a close up to show the overexposure

New Light 4 - 1-100 5.0 400

Closed down the aperture again and also increased shutter speed. Increasing the shutter speed allows you to stop the discus motion more, and more light allows you to increase this value without sacrificing the aperture which controls the depth of field.

New Light 5 Close Up - 1-100 5.0 400

Close up with the settings above. Notice how much sharper it looks with shutter speed 1/100 but also the fact that we stopped down the aperture to f/5

New Light 6 Close Up - 1-100 5.0 400

Just another close up to show the sharper image than with the control light

1 Flash Transition to flash

So, now we make the transition to flash. Kept the same settings as the previous shot, but notice now how much BRIGHTER it is! Flash simply overpowers everything. Next shows me adjusting the settings to have better exposure. This is a trial and error many times, but you will see the transitioning from settings by checking out the titles. KEEP IN MIND, both the regular LED lights AND the T5 lights are STILL ON here. Notice how the flash pretty much neutralizes them.

1 Flash 1 - 1-200 8.0 100

Still unusable. Have to reduce further. Keep noticing in the directions that the settings are going

1 Flash 2 - 1-60 11.0 100

Getting better. This is still one flash only, keep in mind.

2 Flash 1 - 1-60 11.0 100

With 2 flashes now. This allows me to spread the light in a larger part of the tank. Notice that other areas of the tank still look dark. This is in part for the low aperture as well as ISO setting

2 Flash 2 - 1-25 14.0 100

Better lit. next one is a close up

2 Flash 3 Close Up - 1-25 14.0 100

Better right?

2 Flash 4 - 1-40 14.0 200

Increased ISO to 200 and it better lights the rest of the tank

2 Flash 5 - 1-40 11.0 200

Opened the aperture a bit for this shot because this discus is a little darker and the angle was further from the flash. Keep in mind, the flashes are in certain areas, and you want to stay in those general areas to get the best lit up shots

2 Flash 6 - 1-40 11.0 200

Now just showing the settings at work.

Last one. I like the end result of flash shots because you can get the background to darken a bit which focus your attention to the discus. However, this isn't the only reason why I prefer flash over control lighting. In the next post, I will show you close up shots of both lighting set ups.
    Last edited by rickztahone; 12-17-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Does light matter? You be the judge

Keep in mind, the next 3 shots are all cropped down to the EXACT same size.

We will start in the same order as above.

Control

T5

Flash

Control close up

Notice the sharpness really takes a hit with these settings

T5 lighting.

This shot is almost acceptable as far as sharpness goes. I actually wouldn't mind using this setup in the future when I do not feel like taking the flash out. However, for some reason, taking this light out and taking it towards the discus tank completely freaks them out!

2 flash setup

I like this one the best, and you can see it is the most sharp.

I hope you liked this demonstration

Edit, as an added bonus, I hadn't realized that these were ALL the same discus. This really makes this an apples to apples comparison.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Good looking subjects.

Real Name
    Eric

That tank is soooooo nice.
    .................................................. .........................

Ricardo thats a great intro to lighting, flash and Fish pics. Very nicely done! Nice Fish Too!

Thanks for the thread!
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Good looking subjects.
    You're telling me! They came from a good source

Quote Originally Posted by ericNH View Post
    That tank is soooooo nice.
    Thank you very much. I'm glad you like it. I believe it still looks rather plain, but plain works well for me for grow outs. Eventually I plan to add DW and a small sand layer, but that will not be for another year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Ricardo thats a great intro to lighting, flash and Fish pics. Very nicely done! Nice Fish Too!

Thanks for the thread!
    al
    Thanks Al. Lighting, or rather LIGHT itself plays the biggest role of all in photography. If you (general, not you specifically Al ) can get a grasp on the way light affects a photo, you can better prepare yourself to take better shots with that understanding. Flash does change a lot of variables, but I wanted to use it here to simply show the progression of light.

Furthermore, I'd like to point out again that NONE of these are edited in any way other than WB correction. That means, I can get these to look a lot better! I chose to show you a straight conversion for complete transparency.

Secondly, I will point out one major flaw in my flash photos. Typically, you want to diffuse your flash somehow. I chose not to do that here, because in reality, I do not have a modifier small enough to use any more. I use to have a Gary Fong diffuser that would have worked quite well here, however, I gave it away as I never saw my self using it in my personal shooting. Now I regret it of course, because a modifier, ANY MODIFIER, helps even out the light tremendously.

I will most likely do a follow up to this thread with the use of modifiers, and without.

What is a modifier? It can be as simple as a piece of white paper. I have used this in the past with the exact same photography you see above. You can use wax paper, you can use styrofoam, which I believe Matt has used in the past in one of his YT tutorials. If you haven't checked that out yet, please do so. I don't have the video saved currently, but if Matt would be so kind, I'm sure he could link it here as well.

If you have any questions, please ask them. There is no such thing as stupid questions

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Mo Devlin once told me he would use several flashes on the tank he was shooting but would cover them with a milky white tupper ware container on all but the up flash or camera flash. It was so scary the detail he would get on the scales and fins not to mention the iridescence of the scales.

by the way very nice pictures

Registered Member

duplicate sorry

Real Name
    Matt

This is an excellent post! Lighting makes a huge difference!

While we are on the subject, what do you think about using a fill from a front angle or so? I know Mo uses fill flashes quite a bit, I've never gotten the hang of using fills with fish or maybe my angles are off. Ever tried using a fill Ricardo? Thinking more to light the entire fish rather than have really nice light on the head and have it fade off through the body to the tail. Lighting the entire fish like it is in the face really is the outcome.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    This is an excellent post! Lighting makes a huge difference!

While we are on the subject, what do you think about using a fill from a front angle or so? I know Mo uses fill flashes quite a bit, I've never gotten the hang of using fills with fish or maybe my angles are off. Ever tried using a fill Ricardo? Thinking more to light the entire fish rather than have really nice light on the head and have it fade off through the body to the tail. Lighting the entire fish like it is in the face really is the outcome.
    I have never actually tried this Matt. Not quite understanding the angle but I can try a few in the next couple of days to see if it makes a difference. I have 3 strobes I can use and I can try modifying. However, I can't use my studio strobes as they are just too large to make it work.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Mo Devlin once told me he would use several flashes on the tank he was shooting but would cover them with a milky white tupper ware container on all but the up flash or camera flash. It was so scary the detail he would get on the scales and fins not to mention the iridescence of the scales.

by the way very nice pictures
    Yes, modifiers make a huge difference. I would NEVER do a photo session without some kind of modifier, even if the modifier is a ceiling. It is like night and day.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

When ever I've tried filling from the front sides I always seem to get to much direct on the fish even turning that flash very low. I think I'd need to diffuse it quite a bit or bounce it somewhere as all I'd be trying to do is lighten up the tail half some more instead of having the light taper from the head. Sending you a quick PM Ricardo!
    -Matt

Yes, but which looks better to your eye?
    Over 50 years in fish and it still feels brand new!! Woodduck

To bad your fish make such poor subjects! Seriously, that is a beautiful tank.

One thing I noticed about the images with flash, there seems to be much more backscatter. This is a real problem with strobes and UW photography. In that setting it can be corrected by angling the flash/strobe outward. I wonder if that would work on the tank, not shooting the flash straight down.
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Matt

Maybe the tank should be cleaner and water more polished! LOL just kidding. It's hard to avoid, I think you are going to hit it no matter what in an aquarium. I don't usually worry about it, I always take it out in post. A simple dust and scratches filter in photoshop will usually take care of it, and you can clone the larger particles and particles on the fish itself.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast