ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Former Reef Keeper, Looking to Set Up a Discus Tank

Registered Member

Default Former Reef Keeper, Looking to Set Up a Discus Tank

A bit of background and questions...

I kept a 95 gallon reef for awhile, but lost it almost two years ago during a flood/power outage. Since then the tank has been sitting empty. I no longer have the time to maintain a reef tank so I'm planning on converting it to a low-maintenance discus set-up.

I've removed the 40 gallon breeder I was using as a sump to change some baffles around. Right now I'm planning on keeping the overflow drain as it is using a filter sock for mechanical filtration, followed by a "bubble trap", after that is a ~20 gallon chamber holding ~10 litres of k1 media, finally a layer of eggcrate and plastic canvas to keep the k1 away from the return pump (Mag Drive 9.5). Movement of the k1 media will be achieved with two strong airstones + a mini powerhead. Does this make sense so far? Also, as far as I understand k1 media is pretty much no maintenance once it builds up it's bacterial colonies? If I drain the sump to do a water change is there any risk if the k1 media is no longer submerged for a few minutes? Would you recommend anything in the way of chemical filtration?

Because I intend to make this low-maintenance I plan on limiting the stocking level quite a bit. Right now I'm thinking 5-6 discus and maybe around 50 cardinal tetras (I love these fish). A 1/2" sand bed with stones and driftwood as decoration. No plans for plants at the moment. So very minimalist overall. These tanks are "models" of what I hope to accomplish:

I'm a bit confused about water changes, I've seen lots of people advocating just using tap water? Would I need to treat it with something first, or just let it sit for a day with aeration and heating before throwing it in? Likewise, would this stocking level do well with weekly 30% water changes or would I need more? Total water volume: 95 gallon display + 30 gallons in sump = 125 gallons for 6 discus, so about 20 gallons per discus.

Finally, do discus prefer certain lighting?

Thanks for any replies!
    Last edited by Perseverant; 12-18-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Former Reef Keeper, Looking to Set Up a Discus Tank

Lol, those 2 first pictures were my exact inspirations for this last build I was doing. I didn't end up going with anything similar to that for a few reasons, but I digress. Welcome to Simply, and welcome to discus!

My only advice I have for you is to buy adults for your setup since you do not want a lot of maintenance. Here a couple of threads you may find interesting:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...reef-to-discus

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-build-thread)

Once again, welcome. I think your idea of the sump is a good one, and one I considered. However, I found the K1 to be too expensive for what it was. I chose not to go that route, but if you happen to have that already, I saw use it.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com