AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: help need in raising fry

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Don Frick

Default help need in raising fry

I have a 75 gallon planted tank with 4 large (5/6 inch) discus fish. One of them has laid eggs several times (on glass, on filter tube and various places) and the eggs have always turned white and eventually disappeared. A few days ago I noticed a batch of eggs on the leaf of amazon sword plant but this time they did hatched and I have no clue what the best thing to do is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: help need in raising fry

Let me ask you these question? Are you up to breeding them? Are you able to water change twice a day? Do you know how to hatch baby brine shrimp? Do you have separate tank for breeding and for grow out? Are you able to feed them every 4 hours? its impossible to raise fry in the planted tank. if you can't do all these task, I think its better to leave it that way.

Real Name
    Ralph

Hey Don...if your able to determine which two are the parents, you can separate them in a tank of their own bare-bottom with a heater and sponge filter if your plans are breed and raise fry.
    As mentioned above...success with fry swimming in a community tank is not a good option.

...Ralph
    Last edited by Altum Nut; 12-23-2015 at 01:38 AM.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Steve

If you are interested in becoming a hobbyist that breeds rather than just having a show tank, then you need to look into the topics Warblad mentioned above. It can be fun, but a completely different committment than just keeping them, which is no minor task in itself. If not, just leave them be and the eggs will come and go and your fish will be fine.