Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New discus owner with lots of discus questions :D

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: New discus owner with lots of discus questions :D

Quote Originally Posted by Kaushal View Post
    hi everyone.

i am from India.
    Its been only 3 months since i have started keeping fishes.

Out of 5 discus that i had initialy are now 2 discus.
    Lost 3 discus already, because of different reasons.

Not to mention, i have read a lot of post before buying my fishes and discus.
    Made some mistakes even after knowing i am doing a mistake.
    Hi Kaushal and welcome to Simply discus .
    I'm sorry to hear about your 3 died discus .
    Most of the times discus get sick and start dying because of low water quality - Ammonia , nitrite or high nitrate content in water column .
    Please introduce your tank and discus in a new tank thread with pictures and info . and maybe we can see where we can improve your discus keeping routines.
    Cheers .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Shaik Mohammed

Hi Friend's I have 1 Question What is Best PPM For Discus Plz Help Me
    I Have TDS-3 Digital Meter

Registered Member

hello,im bmo,ive been keeping varoius tanks of freshwater fish,howener have started another 75 gallon tank with discus,i went with 5,going on 4 months now,apparently one of two was harrasing the other,trapping in corner,then the bullied one just hides under some driftwood, i then seperated it to its own tank,color has come back,sress bars have dissipated, the four get along great,my delema is now i have a single seperated,going to try and beef it up,maybe a week or two,they are all juveniles,my concerns are as follows,should i reintroduce it after qt,getting it fattening up?my qt tank is only 24 gallons, so adding more to it wouldnt be the best bet,ive put in some neon tetras so its not alone,discus still seems to be shy,anyone have any success with a single?

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by bmo View Post
    hello,im bmo,ive been keeping varoius tanks of freshwater fish,howener have started another 75 gallon tank with discus,i went with 5,going on 4 months now,apparently one of two was harrasing the other,trapping in corner,then the bullied one just hides under some driftwood, i then seperated it to its own tank,color has come back,sress bars have dissipated, the four get along great,my delema is now i have a single seperated,going to try and beef it up,maybe a week or two,they are all juveniles,my concerns are as follows,should i reintroduce it after qt,getting it fattening up?my qt tank is only 24 gallons, so adding more to it wouldnt be the best bet,ive put in some neon tetras so its not alone,discus still seems to be shy,anyone have any success with a single?
    Hi and welcome BMO.
    You can try and reintroduce him with the others after a while . The hierarchy may change once the rest get their strength again .
    Some members here also have had succes rearangin their tanks decor oftenly to create new territories to fight for and some also reported good results having a big mirror placed on the back of the tank .

Registered Member

After reading most of the posts I removed the sand from my new Discus home, before they arrived. I left one corner with sand and planted three small plants. Other than that it is now bare bottom. True about every now and again rearranging the decor. My son, I mentioned in another thread, studies neurology at the local medical school. He confirmed that fish and humans need a change up from time to time. Except for guppies, he said. They only have a 15 second memory, according to son.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by nah View Post
    After reading most of the posts I removed the sand from my new Discus home, before they arrived. I left one corner with sand and planted three small plants. Other than that it is now bare bottom. True about every now and again rearranging the decor. My son, I mentioned in another thread, studies neurology at the local medical school. He confirmed that fish and humans need a change up from time to time. Except for guppies, he said. They only have a 15 second memory, according to son.
    Wise decision Nah. Youll have much better succes on growing healthy discus this way .

Registered Member

Had it not been for those of you who are dedicated to both the hobby and this forum I could have made a sorry mistake. The removal of the sand gave to my fish one more gallon of living space. I will see how my experiment with the tiny planting at one end of the tank goes. I do know that the cleaning will be much more efficient. Thanks for your advice.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345