ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does anyone know what happened?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Does anyone know what happened?

A few things stand out in this thread. First reason is Air-bubbles. Second is not aging the water for removal of chlorine and stabilization of pH. Third use of Windex while cleaning. Both Windex Original and Windex Advanced contain ammonia Residual amounts could have leeched in the silicone. Fourth use of soap just Windex Residual amounts could have leeched and soap leaves a film on the glass. Fifth is paint, for paint to dry completely it takes time If not dried enough paint emits volatile organic compounds VOCs are generally at a higher concentration when indoors (as much as 10 times the amount of outdoor paint). There is a wide variety of both short-term and long-term negative health effects associated with VOCs in paint fumes. Dispersion can take 24 hours or more when indoors.It is recommended that if you are just painting a single room in your home, keep it well ventilated while you paint, and the room should be Okay after a day or so. Avoid sleeping in rooms where you have painted recently. Any combination of any of these could have contributed to the sudden death of the Discus. It is difficult to pin it down without laboratory analysis.
    To David Satow. Once again so sorry for you loss you have worked so hard trying to do the best for your fish
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

This is one of those circumstances where activated carbon can be a lifesaver. As an insurance against inadvertent poisoning, carbon can be added to the filter after a major tear-down like this involving paint & etc. It only takes carbon a couple of hours to remove the majority of large molecule toxins.

One day my son sprayed some new shoes with that gawdawful scotch guard. In The House! When I smelled it I immediately hung the air pump out a nearby window for fresh air and added as much carbon to the filter as I could manage. There were no problems but if I had not been home...

Real Name
    David Satow

Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post
    David,

I sincerely hope that I didn't get too far off from your thread about what happened to your fish. I dislike it when my thread is hijacked, and I had no intention to do that, but I did think that what I added was going along with the general discussion. So back to your thread.

What do you think happened to your fish? How convinced (if at all) are you that the problem was brought about as a result of using soap?

Paul
    no apology necessary... this thread is full of new knowledge
    It's just a box with water... and a few extremely expensive mutts...

Real Name
    David Satow

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    A few things stand out in this thread. First reason is Air-bubbles. Second is not aging the water for removal of chlorine and stabilization of pH. Third use of Windex while cleaning. Both Windex Original and Windex Advanced contain ammonia Residual amounts could have leeched in the silicone. Fourth use of soap just Windex Residual amounts could have leeched and soap leaves a film on the glass. Fifth is paint, for paint to dry completely it takes time If not dried enough paint emits volatile organic compounds VOCs are generally at a higher concentration when indoors (as much as 10 times the amount of outdoor paint). There is a wide variety of both short-term and long-term negative health effects associated with VOCs in paint fumes. Dispersion can take 24 hours or more when indoors.It is recommended that if you are just painting a single room in your home, keep it well ventilated while you paint, and the room should be Okay after a day or so. Avoid sleeping in rooms where you have painted recently. Any combination of any of these could have contributed to the sudden death of the Discus. It is difficult to pin it down without laboratory analysis.
    To David Satow. Once again so sorry for you loss you have worked so hard trying to do the best for your fish
    Thank you akiili it means a lot

Real Name
    David Satow

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    OP, I am sorry for your loss. I am sure this thread can help many others possibly avoid the same problem. I am going to sticky this thread for the time being so people are in the loop with these products and their possible toxicity to our loved fish friends.

However, I'd like to move it over to 'water works'. Is that fine with you?
    yes rick that is fine! the reason I started this in a previous thread then moved it to a separate one was in case something like this happens, again, than you every one for the kind words and helpful attitude. It shows a lot about this forum!!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thread moved to water works and I will leave it stickied as well.

If anyone else were to notice something similar happen to their discus, please direct them to this thread.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

David, I just realized that this thread was started after your "Welp" thread. I had no idea there was a connection. I am so sorry for your loss, and I hope you do not give up on discus. With that said, I would be very leary about using your 75g tank again. If you decide to use it again, I would wash it with bleach, rinse it, treat it, and let it air dry for a couple of days. You would need to test it somehow, but I have never been one to test anything with live fish, I find it to be cruel, but I know of no other way to test your tank.

Good luck bud in whatever you chose to do. I will say this, do not leave the discus in the care of your parents, they will not do a good job at maintaining it, and the discus will suffer for it.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234