AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What flow do you Have ?

Default What flow do you Have ?

As above - what is the flow in peoples tanks Litres Per Hour. Just trying to work out which pump to use.

Many Thanks
    Neil

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: What flow do you Have ?

My tank is 125 gallons, which is approximately 475 litres. I have 3 filters pushing a combined 5,700 litres per hour, approximately. I've read that a good benchmark for filtration flow is around 10x your total tank volume.
    .................................................. .........................

Flow rate is not particularly important for discus-keeping, but they seem to be unhappy with a strong flow which could result in their having to expend undue energy maintaining their usually quite slow & graceful movement.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I prefer a more serene flow, with a turnover of about 4 tank volumes per hour.

Discus prefer calmer water with lots of oxygen. They seem very happy especially for the big ones. For breeding much calmer is so better for fertilization process.

Real Name
    Peter

I only have sponge filters in my tanks, they are very big and the air flow is pretty high, but there wouldn't be much current in the tank.

In regards tank turnover. I believe many people do not understand that the water running through the filter needs to spend a good amount of time in contact with the filter media and beneficial bacteria. A high flow rate is actually counter productive to this. It's another thing where many people get caught up with faster, higher, more power instead of understanding how something works.

Jump on the Eheim website and look up external canister filters. You will see that most canister filters have approximately a 6x turnover of the recommended aquarium size, and the turnover drops to 3 - 2.5x turnover of the maximum sized tank volume recommended for each filter.

Silver Member

The filtration system for my 100 g tank is shown in the picture below:

4-1.JPG

The external pump puts out 1000 g/h (17 g/m). Since I have a 100 g tank, this amounts to 10X per hour. All of it flows thru the pleated canister filter (25 micron). Then the water is split into three paths: 15 g/m is returned to the tank directly, 1 g/m flows thru the purigen reactor, and 1 g/m flows thru the biological filter.

My fish are not affected by currents in the tank due to the method that the water is returned. Basically there is a system of baffles set up so that the currents are dispersed.

The system is very effective at keeping the tank clean.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post

4-1.JPG

The external pump puts out 1000 g/h (17 g/m). Since I have a 100 g tank, this amounts to 10X per hour. All of it flows thru the pleated canister filter (25 micron). Then the water is split into three paths: 15 g/m is returned to the tank directly, 1 g/m flows thru the purigen reactor, and 1 g/m flows thru the biological filter.

My fish are not affected by currents in the tank due to the method that the water is returned. Basically there is a system of baffles set up so that the currents are dispersed.

Paul
    I have no doubt of that Paul, and I wish I had a system just like that, particularly the Purigen reactor.

Silver Member

Paul,

I have no doubt of that Paul, and I wish I had a system just like that, particularly the Purigen reactor.
    Thank you for your kind reply.

If you want more information, I can provide it.

Congratulations on your MVP selection.

Paul
    Last edited by afriend; 01-09-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks Paul. I'll get back in touch with you when I'm ready to tackle that reactor !

Now that looks pretty good, where did you get the purigen reactor from ? All my equipment is going to be in a simple sump, and i intend of splitting the return so that some of the water goes back through the sump again.

Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post

4-1.JPG

Paul

Silver Member

NeiMan,

Now that looks pretty good, where did you get the purigen reactor from ? All my equipment is going to be in a simple sump, and i intend of splitting the return so that some of the water goes back through the sump again.
    I designed and built my own. Here's a link to how I did it:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...urigen-Reactor

Also, here's a link to what can be done with a properly designed and implemented system. This type of set up is best suited for a non-planted show tank with adult discus. I've divided it up into several parts as shown in the stickies:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...d)-NW-Arkansas

Hope this can help you in some way.

Paul

Registered Member

If using hydro 5 sponge filters as I do is there a maximal rate of bubbles for the most efficiency?
    Jay

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    If using hydro 5 sponge filters as I do is there a maximal rate of bubbles for the most efficiency?
    Jay
    The only way I know to see how much water a sponge filter moves is to lower the water level in the tank so that its just under the top of the plastic riser tube (if you have one attached... I think the riser increases the amount of water being 'pulled' by the bubbles). Then you can see water overflowing out the top. While watching this, you can try different amounts of air.

Real Name
    Boyd

What I enjoy about our Forum mostly are the many opportunity's presented on various topics. I am still working, and limited on $$$ :-) I use craigslist for folks who offer items for sale, and on my 125 I utilize my old SW sumps ( after a good bleaching ). I have observed slow flow through my 125, 160, and 75's easier on my babies, and plants. I tee off the discharge of the return pump with a throttle valve ( PVC shut off ) and visually observe fish :-) Keeping it very simple with water changes being the key.
    On the upside...when I retire, I will contact " afriend " I have reviewed all of his threads, and videos....super !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast