ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Speedy Water Ageing

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Default Speedy Water Ageing

Sometimes I don't have any water available because the ageing tank has just filled or the RO is still running, and the pH is too low.

With a 200 gph circulating pump and air going at the bottom of the tank it takes 24 to 30 hours for the pH to go from 5.9 where it starts up to 6.8 where it finally settles.

So I tried a little experiment. I dropped a submersible 600 gph pump in the tank and attached a pump strainer to the outflow and rigged it so the strainer is about 4 inches above the water surface, making a horizontal fountain that sprays against the sides of the tank.

The pH in the tank went from 6.1 to 6.8 in 2 hours. Its very noisy but could help in a pinch.

Its possible that after 2 hours with the fountain what I have in the water is some remaining CO2 mixed with a supersaturation of oxygen, but after another 2 hours with the fountain off the pH was still at 6.8.

I could do some plumbing to make this a permanent part of the ageing tank, or it might be easier to just set up a second tank. The only problem with a second ageing tank is that it would need another UV, heater and pump. This well water has mold spores and forms some kind of slime, so it needs UV running in it all the time.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Speedy Water Ageing

Yeah, there are many different ways to make the process faster, this is a good one. I have tried my share of different ways to help the process as well.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Hi Nemonic, I have a question. Do you think it is faster because of more agitation from the powerful pump (600gph) or the redirection/position of the horizontal water flow increasing the agitation or both.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

My guess is that the CO2 is being released into the atmosphere faster by having more water surface area in contact with the air, so its the spray or fountain that makes the difference.

By the way, I was not able to reproduce those results when I tried it again yesterday. Instead it took 4 hours because there was less aged water in the bottom of the tank on the second try.

If you think about it (or overthink it as some might say...) we measure time in a linear way whereas PH is logarithmic. With PH you have to do half the work to go a fourth of the way. Leaving out a few other variables, if your water takes 24 hours to go from 6.0 to 7.0, then at 12 hours the PH is 6.26. That's the half way point between 6.0 and 7.0 in terms of hydrogen ion concentration. This explains the differing results-- each trial had a different starting PH.

What I need to do is create a mini waterfall. My wife says I turn everything into a science project.

Registered Member

Yeah, but science makes life easy. If there is a way to reduce aging time, I would love to do that. I rather spend time enjoying my fish than keeping maintenance. If I can turn the pump on for 2 hours with each aging. I can use a timer and go to sleep without having the motor pump all night. i would love to know if this is repeatable. I'm a science guy too. Thank you for the post though. I love to see different things try to make my life easier.

Registered Member

I've heard of people using a pump and also using an air stone when ageing, but does anyone use a pump with a venturi? Seems like that would really agitate the water and speed up the process...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ot-Water-Aging

My guess is that the CO2 is being released into the atmosphere faster by having more water surface area in contact with the air, so its the spray or fountain that makes the difference.
    I think that is the answer. The Ph stabilizes up or down more rapidly when the water is agitated, allowing for quicker gas exchange at the surface.
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Rick

So I tried a little experiment. I dropped a submersible 600 gph pump in the tank and attached a pump strainer to the outflow and rigged it so the strainer is about 4 inches above the water surface, making a horizontal fountain that sprays against the sides of the tank.
    The better the spray bar, the faster the process will be. Try a section of 1/2 or 3/4" pvc pipe with many small holes drilled in it and the end capped.

But

A big air pump and a large fine stone (small bubbles) would be faster and a lot less work.
    Last edited by nc0gnet0; 01-11-2016 at 12:42 AM.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    ...A big air pump and a large fine stone (small bubbles) would be faster and a lot less work.
    And a lot quieter than the spray! I will try one of those long airstones one of these days to see how it compares.

I only run the spray when the RO fills the barrel less than 4 hours before I need the water. Most of the time the barrel is full by morning, which gives it 12 hours to age, and with circulation this is plenty of time.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by TexMoHoosier View Post
    I've heard of people using a pump and also using an air stone when ageing, but does anyone use a pump with a venturi? Seems like that would really agitate the water and speed up the process...

mine is a powerhead with venturi works very well marineland 350gph