ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know what happened?

Real Name
    David Satow

Default Re: Does anyone know what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    Do you aged your water? I'm pretty is something to do with the water. If the fish is sick, it will take weeks before they died. I usually aged my water 24HR prior to WC and add Seachem SAFE at the same time to neutralize any toxic chemicals. Sometimes water quality will change from time to time so I don't to take any chances especially if the water comes directly from the facet.
    While, I probably should age it, I test the water nearly every day and none of my readings ever change.
    It's just a box with water... and a few extremely expensive mutts...

Real Name
    David Satow

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    did you paint the inside or outside of the tank white? what paint did you use, have we ruled out the paint?
    Painted the outside, used a common store bought acryllic paint, is there a bad paint?

Real Name
    David Satow

Quote Originally Posted by MD.David View Post
    You painted the outside of the tank?
    Not the inside, right?
    Did you recaulk it?
    Painted outside, but did not recaulk.. should I have?

Real Name
    David Satow

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    David, in an earlier emergency room thread you said that you have well water and that you don't age it. Is that right?

I am inclined to point the finger at the paint or the glass cleaner, or possibly a combination of the two. How did you wash out the tank after removing the old paint and re-painting.

When I was a kid I killed a bunch of my fish because I didn't appreciate how sensitive they are to household chemicals. Now I am probably overcautious. Before I stick my hands in a tank I think what might be on them. When I set down a net or a tube I think what might be on the table. I have a kind of vigilance because of that experience.

Well water can have a nasty pH swing, and although I don't think that's what killed your fish you really should check your pH swing if you haven't already done so. Repeated shifts in pH, along with other stresses, can cause the discus to break down over time.
    No I do not age the water, however water readings have not changed on me and I check water very frequently(pH is a always between 7.4and 7.5). When I washed the tank I first used soapy water to was it, then rinsed with warm water afterwards.

Real Name
    David Satow

At this time the only possible thing that I can think of is the windex I used to clean the tank... but I highly doubt this because of how I thoroughly washed the tank after, used soapy hot water, then hot water, then air dried.

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy456 View Post
    I first used soapy water
    Unfortunately that did it. Im so sorry for what happened this is the worst possible way to have to learn. Never ever under any circumstances ever wash anything with soap that will ever go back into a fish tank. It leaves a residue that is very difficult to remove and will kill fish very quickly. They were likely dead in under 30min and probably couldn't have been saved. When cleaning a tank use straight bleach it does not leave a residue, once bleach is dry its gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SNap0283 View Post
    When cleaning a tank use straight bleach it does not leave a residue, once bleach is dry its gone.
    I agree, never use soap. Its better to use bleach because SAFE can neutralize bleach. I just cleaned my aging barrel with bleach the other night and drain it then refill it added SAFE. All fish still alive

Registered Member

I have to agree with Snap, depending on the soap and depending on how much residue was left, it is the most prominent cause.
    I agree, bleach is the way to go, chlorine and bleach are very close in chemical structure and prime or safe does the same job to chlorine as it does to bleach.
    how well did you rinse the soap off?
    What type of soap did you use?

And no I would say, shouldn't have caulked it, it was just a stab in the dark, some caulking is poisonous, and some you have to let cure for weeks or the half cured caulking can be toxic to fish as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SNap0283 View Post
    Unfortunately that did it. Im so sorry for what happened this is the worst possible way to have to learn. Never ever under any circumstances ever wash anything with soap that will ever go back into a fish tank. It leaves a residue that is very difficult to remove and will kill fish very quickly. They were likely dead in under 30min and probably couldn't have been saved. When cleaning a tank use straight bleach it does not leave a residue, once bleach is dry its gone.

Real Name
    Geoff

I'm so sorry for your loss it totally sucks when this happens
    Geoff

Real Name
    David Satow

and I though I was doing the right thing by NOT using bleach.... guess I learned the lesson the hard way

Registered Member

So sorry mate!

What type of soap did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy456 View Post
    and I though I was doing the right thing by NOT using bleach.... guess I learned the lesson the hard way

Real Name
    Jeff

On the bright side if you rinse it very well you can get it clean enough. I would use paper towels and warm water and rinse many times

Squeaky clean

I also wanted to mention microbubbles here. Cold weather is upon us (well, some of us) and we always see an increase in this issue around winter time.

Cold water holds more dissolved gases than warm water. In the winter time, your water may be full of dissolved gases. The water remains saturated with gases while under pressure (while sitting in your house water lines, for instance). As soon as you turn on a tap and the water begins to warm up, it can no longer hold as much dissolved gas as before and the gas starts to appear as microbubbles. Changing 25% or even 50% may not harm your fish, but a 90 - 100% water change with water that has not been off-gassed could essentially suffocate your fish. It happens fast. This is why so many people age their water. It gives the water time to warm up and the aeration allows the gases to dissipate out.

It could very well be the soap you used, depending on how much and what kind, and if the tank wasn't well-rinsed. But just in case it's an issue with microbubbles, I'd be very careful about doing large water changes on your other tank without aging/aerating it first.

Registered Member

To add to Ryan's comments; If you're using well water it is generally supersaturated with nitrogen (>120% of ambient air) and lacking dissolved oxygen. I've seen DO out of a well at 40% of ambient air. In aquaculture where they run flow-through tanks all the well water is passed through gas stripping columns (especially heated water), a stripping column is basically wet dry media to trickle the water over to equalibrated it with the atmospheric conditions.

Also, in general NO One should use any scented cleaning products around aquariums; including lotions, bleach (regular unscented is good), 'febreze', etc. Also some scotch bright pads are toxic to fish; http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...-aquarium.html

In general I've heard most all household sponges get treatment with anti-mold chemicals, so I buy those cheap aquaclear sponge-filter-media packs and use them to scrub my tanks.

Cheers,
    DC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast