Dennis Discus     Cafepress Store

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: tank bare bottom tank

  1. #1
    Homesteader
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    631
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default tank bare bottom tank

    For years I suffered with a bare bottom tank. I didn't like it, but then I didn't like the alternative either. A gravel bottom was completely out of the question, and while a sand substrate was better, I still didn't like the idea of providing a place for all those pathogens. Nor did I like the increased maintenance required to keep the sand clean. The other thing I did't like was sand scratching the tank during cleaning. So then I began to experiment. The purpose of this post is to present another alternative that I have come up with that some folks might like as much as I do:

    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...re-Bottom-Tank
    Last edited by afriend; 01-08-2016 at 01:43 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered Member farebox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    796
    iTrader
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

    Default Re: tank bare bottom tank

    This what I did: https://youtu.be/ZeCr52ldCp4

  3. #3
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    237
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Adolfo

    Default Re: tank bare bottom tank

    I like the cleanness of barebottom tanks andthey can look very nice - Lighthouse https://youtu.be/ti4xASWmffY

  4. #4
    Registered Member warblad79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,880
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: tank bare bottom tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse7 View Post
    I like the cleanness of barebottom tanks andthey can look very nice - Lighthouse https://youtu.be/ti4xASWmffY
    100% agree. I hate too much clutter and that's why they call it bare bottom tank.

    Name:  IMAG0989.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  83.9 KB

  5. #5
    Registered Member rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    12,865
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: tank bare bottom tank

    Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    100% agree. I hate too much clutter and that's why they call it bare bottom tank.

    Name:  IMAG0989.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  83.9 KB
    To be fair, those discus could be in a terrible looking tank and they would still look amazing! That is a gorgeous group!

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread


    http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  6. #6
    Homesteader
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    631
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: tank bare bottom tank

    rick,

    To be fair, those discus could be in a terrible looking tank and they would still look amazing! That is a gorgeous group!
    Can you please refer me to a source that explains what a makes up a quality discus and how to recognize it. I can recognize when a fish is healthy, round shape, and the size of eye relative to body size. Beyond that I'm at a loss. Can you help me?

    Paul

  7. #7
    Registered Member rickztahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pacoima, California
    Posts
    12,865
    Blog Entries
    1
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

    Default Re: tank bare bottom tank

    Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post
    rick,



    Can you please refer me to a source that explains what a makes up a quality discus and how to recognize it. I can recognize when a fish is healthy, round shape, and the size of eye relative to body size. Beyond that I'm at a loss. Can you help me?

    Paul
    Paul, I was commenting more on the overall look of the group. It is rare to have such a large group like this and have all of them look as great as these do. Great pattern/shape/size to all of these. Add to the fact that he has some heckled in the mix? It's a killer group. Hence my comment about even if they were in a terrible looking tank, they would still look excellent

    Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

    Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread


    http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

  8. #8
    Homesteader
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    631
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: tank bare bottom tank

    Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Paul, I was commenting more on the overall look of the group. It is rare to have such a large group like this and have all of them look as great as these do. Great pattern/shape/size to all of these. Add to the fact that he has some heckled in the mix? It's a killer group. Hence my comment about even if they were in a terrible looking tank, they would still look excellent
    Rick,

    I got it. Thanks.

    Paul

  9. #9
    Homesteader
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    631
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: tank bare bottom tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse7 View Post
    I like the cleanness of barebottom tanks andthey can look very nice - Lighthouse https://youtu.be/ti4xASWmffY
    Lighthouse7,

    The bottom of your tank looks amazingly clean. How often to you have to clean it?

    Paul

  10. #10
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    237
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Adolfo

    Default Re: tank bare bottom tank

    I clean it every day or every other day but thats whats so great about barebottom tanks dirt cant hide! - Lighthouse

  11. #11
    Homesteader
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    631
    iTrader
    1 (100%)

    Default Re: tank bare bottom tank

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse7 View Post
    I clean it every day or every other day but thats whats so great about barebottom tanks dirt cant hide! - Lighthouse
    Lighthouse7,

    Your effort really shows results. You have a very clean tank bottom. I like your fish too.

    Paul

  12. #12
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    237
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Adolfo

    Default Re: tank bare bottom tank

    Thanks Paul its still a work progess lol! - Lighthouse

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Cafepress             AquaticSuppliers.com