AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are water changes a big deal? How to make them easier!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Are water changes a big deal? How to make them easier!

Quote Originally Posted by MattArmstrong View Post
    Ricardo, great video.

Pro tip for those viewing: you can get youtube to speed videos up to 2x speed by hitting the gear icon during playback -- they seem to have added this some time recently. It turned your 15 minute water change into 7.5 minutes; can't beat that!

The sticking point for me is where to put the aging barrel. Unlike you, I don't have the luxury of sitting it right next to the tank.
    I couldn't get the video to go 2x faster for some reason. I clicked the gear icon and the only thing that popped up was the quality settings. Maybe my browser isn't up to date?

edit: yeah, that is what it was. My IE was not up to date. My chrome is though. I use IE here at work.
    Last edited by rickztahone; 01-11-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

This is a good thread to check out by another member that has improved his WC method
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Change-System

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Heidi

Amazing!

Real Name
    Willie

Not everyone is prepared to power drain their tanks. Like Pat, I rely solely on gravity to drain. By putting my discus tanks on the top of a double stack rack, the changes are very fast. I use tanks on the bottom rack to condition my water. The biggest improvement to my water change routine came when I won a second Python at a raffle. Now I'm cooking!

I come down to my fish room early every morning and can change out 100% of my discus tanks in 90 minutes (while I'm watching TV, surfing the net, reading e-mail, doing crossword puzzles and taking a shower). Life is easy if you can make it into a routine.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

1. Age my water in a 110 titre brute bin by running a pump from the sink into the bin. Add chemicals to treat the water then put heater and air stone in for 24hrs. Quick PH test.

2. Then use one of ya basic syphon hand pumps that clean the bottom of the tank and under the bog wood into a bucket (remove all left over food n poo)

3. Use a pump with hose to drain 100ltrs out the tank and into the back garden, when the tank is a pit empty I will clean the glass insides with an sponge.

4. Remove the heater and air stone from my ageing water and put the pump in the barrol and run the hose into the tank.

5. Refill the bin with tap water using the pump method. Put heater and air stone back in. Clean the equipment down however the hose pipe I use tangles up easy. Need to look at getting a new one.

Can any one recommend a way to make it easy or ways I could improve? My tank is a juwel trigon 350. (77g) run an ehiem pro3 2080. 7 discus 20 neons. Bogwood with anubias attached

i stopped heating the aging water. its adds up $$
    i change over 1/2 the tank water and it only drops a few degrees, and the fish never seems to care. in fact they seem to be prompted to spawn from it.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Wow your water changes are amazingly simple, I'll be honest I'm jealous

I made my system as simple as I can with my 50' python stretched to my utility room sink for the cleanup, switching to a 850gal/hr pump to finish draining, then refilling straight from my tap (my tap water's pretty good).

My wife is amazed and keeps asking if I 'enjoy' doing this each day

Thanks for posting this!

Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    i stopped heating the aging water. its adds up $$
    i change over 1/2 the tank water and it only drops a few degrees, and the fish never seems to care. in fact they seem to be prompted to spawn from it.
    This might work for you with the amount of water that your replacing during a water change but new hobbyists should exercise extreme caution before going this approach. While I was on vacation my stepfather did this in one of my tanks and i lost a 7 inch Male Leopard Snakeskin that I had raised from 3.5-4 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by ssevasta View Post
    This might work for you with the amount of water that your replacing during a water change but new hobbyists should exercise extreme caution before going this approach. While I was on vacation my stepfather did this in one of my tanks and i lost a 7 inch Male Leopard Snakeskin that I had raised from 3.5-4 inches.
    your point is a good one. FYI: i've lost Black Neons to the temp swing, but not Discus, so i heat it up again.

Registered Member

I do water change like every 2 days. i have a 90 gallon discus tank and 20 gallon sump.. still struggling with the green algae though.. recently bought phosgard coz i feed my fishy lots!
    any other ways to take care of cyanobacteria?

Quote Originally Posted by talkdiscustome View Post
    I do water change like every 2 days. i have a 90 gallon discus tank and 20 gallon sump.. still struggling with the green algae though.. recently bought phosgard coz i feed my fishy lots!
    Are you sure it's BGA and not just simply GSA?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Boyd Enterprises Chemiclean worked for me

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by talkdiscustome View Post
    what light fixture are you using? When you wipe down your tank, are you getting a thin layer of gunk?

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Great thread, albeit I'm late coming to this as I've only recently joined the forum. Like rickztahone I automated my system years ago and will need to upgrade it again soon due to the need for more RO production. Changing water with my system doesn't require anything more than turning Fluval pump aquastops, from the old filters, on and off and letting the tank drain and then refill. To drain the tank I have one outlet pipe which, when the tap on the aquastop is opened, syphons the water out of the fish room and into a drain outside. When the required level is reached I merely switch off the tap. To refill I pump the RO water, correctly re-mineralized and heated, out of a 20 Imperial gallon water butt and into the tank using a large marine tank pump. The RO water flows directly into the water butt from a build in piped system from the pressurized water tap.

The advantage of using this system is that the water is perfectly matched and pre-heated to the tank parameters and I can either work whilst the re-filling takes place or go out for an hour as the flow in is controlled and always takes the same amount of time. No buckets or mess and the fish are barely aware that the water is being changed as the only need to go into the tank is if I'm vacuuming the substrate.

Real Name
    Mervin

I've gotten rid of cyano by doing a total 3-4 day black out.It starves the algae that live inside the bacteria,that feed it.Also,there is always erythromycin,but I have never gone this route.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast