AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meds to keep on-hand incase needed

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tony

Default Meds to keep on-hand incase needed

Hello All,

Im new to the hobby and have purchased 6 beautiful Discus for my 125 Gallon aquarium. I want to be ready incase anything happens and need to act fast. What are some of the most common meds that I hope to never use, but should have incase something went wrong.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them? No problem, they are shy and dark now because they are new and still acclimating. They are starting to eat fine. The lights are still bothering them, but Im sure it will take time. Any tips on what to look for?

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds). Dark, Hiding

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment. none

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish. 125 gallon, discus are anywhere from 2.5 to 6 inches, I have 6 discus(2 wilds), 10 cory cats, 8 neon tetras. I feed 3 times a day sometimes 4 if I can. I work 10hrs a day.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often). 50% every other day, I use Prime

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? tanks has been running for 2 months, 100lbs of Pool Filter Sand substrate about 1.5 inch deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing. No I do not age my water, and no ph swing. My ph is the same as the tap.

8. Parameters and water source; 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 5 Nitrates, water from the tap and I use Prime

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __84.5___

- ph __7.6___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _X___

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently. only new fish are the discus. I removed angels, mollies, bala shark before adding them to the tank.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them. no pics of the wilds cause they are really hiding.

Thanks!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tony

Default Re: Meds to keep on-hand incase needed

I guess this question is pointless. If something is wrong, the best thing to do is up water changes, find out whats the cause, and fix it? If the issue is not resolved or getting better then you medicate? Is that right?

Real Name
    Rick

The best medicine to keep is not a medicine at all, but it is a hospital tank, bare bottom of sufficient size. After that, a lot would depend on what is readily available to you...........................
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

A local breeder suggested I always have some metro on hand. It came in handy once, and I'm glad I did.

http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/M...9582.Item.html

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tony

I have 40gal breeder with a 80gal sponge filter and heater set at 84, bare bottom as you can see. Is this a good hospital tank? If not what do you recommend? Thanks image.jpgimage.jpg

Real Name
    Rick

That is a perfect hospital tank. Just don't fill it with fish!
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Meshell

Maybe I can't see it very well, but it looks like you could use to paint the bottom of that hospital tank.

Sick fish don't care if painted or not. You will need to turn off the lights anyway during quarantine. So fish don't see the paint when it's dark. You guys giving ridiculous advice, just like Rick mention that's perfect for quarantine tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

I don't think painting bottom or also back comes under "ridiculous advice" - Lighthouse

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tony

Can someone explain why I would have to paint the bottom even if it wasn't a hospital tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    That is a perfect hospital tank. Just don't fill it with fish!
    Thanks. Yea I'm just waiting for it to cycle now. Been adding food. I read somewhere that hospital tanks don't need to be cycled? Is that correct. Just set up when needed?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    Sick fish don't care if painted or not. You will need to turn off the lights anyway during quarantine. So fish don't see the paint when it's dark. You guys giving ridiculous advice, just like Rick mention that's perfect for quarantine tank

Is paint a requirement if it wasn't? Just curious

Cycling is not needed - just change lots of water every day when in use. When not in use, you don't want to be inconvenienced by having to maintain ammonia to keep the cycle intact.

Real Name
    Julian

Tony
    When you paint the bottom or put little sand , fish don't see their reflection when swimming, same approach when you paint, or put some back ground , what it does is create a calming effect.

painting it is never a requirement for hospital tank because the light has to be off anyway. So what's the point of painting it but I do know for sure in breeding tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast