Default Re: 25g cube grow out tank

Update
    Ammonia 0 ppm (ammonia is being processed in 24hr) nitrite 0.25 ppm
    Raised ammonia back up to 3-4 ppm.

Real Name
    Manny

Tank cycled!
    Ammonia 0 ppm nitrite 0 ppm, raised back up to 3-4 ppm. I won't be 100% convinced until the tank proccesses ammonia and nitrite in 12-24 hrs for the next three days. I'm planning on buying discus next week. Maybe from discus r us or discus madness. Me and my wife want to be able to pick and choose our fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

That fishless cycle sure was short. A bit more than a week, right? Hard to argue with your test results. Did you seed the tank somehow?

I'm jealous of your basement. I wish I had a place to throw cheap tanks on ugly stands!

Real Name
    Ricardo

I hope it was a quick cycle for you

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Manny

Quote Originally Posted by MattArmstrong View Post
    That fishless cycle sure was short. A bit more than a week, right? Hard to argue with your test results. Did you seed the tank somehow?

I'm jealous of your basement. I wish I had a place to throw cheap tanks on ugly stands!
    It took about 9-10 days, I didn't seed the filter but it did sit in my closet filled with old aquarium water from my old tank for about two years, I rinsed it out and replaced the filter media. I doubt any bacteria servived that long.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I hope it was a quick cycle for you
    It looks like it was, ammonia and nitrite are both at 0 ppm. Raised ammonia back up to 3-4 ppm.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by tunerhead24 View Post
    It took about 9-10 days, I didn't seed the filter but it did sit in my closet filled with old aquarium water from my old tank for about two years, I rinsed it out and replaced the filter media. I doubt any bacteria servived that long.

It looks like it was, ammonia and nitrite are both at 0 ppm. Raised ammonia back up to 3-4 ppm.
    That bacteria would have been dead and gone a long time ago. Not sure how you were able to just keep old stagnant water in a tank for that long without it smelling awful. My wife would have killed me if I did that.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Phil

So what is the plan here, to use the 40 and grow out some juvies?

I have never been to discus r us but I am dying to get over there, from what I have seen he has awesome stuff and he is a sponsor here so I am sold on that alone...

Discus madness is hit or miss and that is from both personal experience as well as reviews here... It is ultimately your call, but I would strongly suggest the sponsor route...

Orrrr.... You could make a real fun road trip out of it and head down to Hans, another journey I plan to make at some point... Although this may not be the weekend to do it!!

Real Name
    Manny

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    That bacteria would have been dead and gone a long time ago. Not sure how you were able to just keep old stagnant water in a tank for that long without it smelling awful. My wife would have killed me if I did that.
    It wasn't a tank filled with water, it was a ehiem canister filter. It didn't stink at all but if it did my wife would of killed me too, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    So what is the plan here, to use the 40 and grow out some juries?

I have never been to discus r us but I am dying to get over there, from what I have seen he has awesome stuff and he is a sponsor here so I am sold on that alone...

Discus madness is hit or miss and that is from both personal experience as well as reviews here... It is ultimately your call, but I would strongly suggest the sponsor route...

Orrrr.... You could make a real fun road trip out of it and head down to Hans, another journey I plan to make at some point... Although this may not be the weekend to do it!!
    Yes Phil, I'm planning on growing out juvies in the 40 gal, 6-7 maybe. I think I'd rather take the road trip to discus r us, Hans is just way too far man lol, especially with a 1 and a half year old. Would you care to to explain your experience at discus madness? I was planning on going just to take a look at his stock. thanks.

Real Name
    Manny

Tank is officially cycled! I'm debating on discus r us or Hans for our juvies , my wife is willing on a three hour road trip to Hans (she wears the pants) lol. I will be converting everything over to the 40g breeder for now and feeding the bacteria with ammonia till the following week.

Real Name
    Manny

40gal up and running, i think the lights are little too bright. Im going to raise them a little more.

Real Name
    Manny

I've been feeding the bacteria for about a week now. I'm going to try to make an appointment with discus Hans this weekend. Trying to be as patient as possible, lol.

Real Name
    Phil

Manny,

Sorry for my delay, I didn't see that you had asked me a question ... Maybe I was too busy dreaming of a trip to Hans! Lucky man you! How quickly that plan changed! Lolol. Hope to hear a full report of that trip! Planning a possible trip in July to set up a tank for my sons room. Buttering up the wife already let me know your secrets ...

My experience w madness stretches back quite a bit and when I first got into the hobby and before I even knew what this site was or bothered to even research these fish... I had many years keeping cichlids and figured they were all the same, boy was I wrong ...

Anyways... I like many who are starting want to pick their own fish and yada yada and I stumbled upon madness and figured I would take the trip... The first time I was still wet behind the ears and wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at. Let me preface by saying the man who runs the shop was very pleasant and patient with me and he gave me a bunch of info and let me browse the shop for a while no questions asked. I left there with 5 fish I believe that time , small 3-4" fish and put them in my 47 gallon weirdly shaped cube tank and changed the water once a week... You see where I am going here ... Again no issues w the place.

Once I started to learn more and was going to upgrade the tank and after a power outtage wiped those fish out ... Still being a stubborn non believer in shipping and all, hence why I am so strongly behind it now. When I went back he had some nice stuff but I noticed a lot of pitting in the head area or HITH. he was honest with me and said he had an outbreak in his central system and some were effected... I got nervous and was afraid to purchase anything and it kinda left me weary in all honesty. I get things happen and stuff goes wrong and at least he told me what it was and was upfront about it... So that's my experience there. After that I ended up getting some gorgeous fish from
    Mike beals a guy who used to be on here and sell fish. His prices with shipping were less than what I would have paid there and he sent me some absolute monster fish and since then I was quite hooked and behind the shipping process and the sponsors here ...

Real Name
    Manny

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Manny,

Sorry for my delay, I didn't see that you had asked me a question ... Maybe I was too busy dreaming of a trip to Hans! Lucky man you! How quickly that plan changed! Lolol. Hope to hear a full report of that trip! Planning a possible trip in July to set up a tank for my sons room. Buttering up the wife already let me know your secrets ...

My experience w madness stretches back quite a bit and when I first got into the hobby and before I even knew what this site was or bothered to even research these fish... I had many years keeping cichlids and figured they were all the same, boy was I wrong ...

Anyways... I like many who are starting want to pick their own fish and yada yada and I stumbled upon madness and figured I would take the trip... The first time I was still wet behind the ears and wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at. Let me preface by saying the man who runs the shop was very pleasant and patient with me and he gave me a bunch of info and let me browse the shop for a while no questions asked. I left there with 5 fish I believe that time , small 3-4" fish and put them in my 47 gallon weirdly shaped cube tank and changed the water once a week... You see where I am going here ... Again no issues w the place.

Once I started to learn more and was going to upgrade the tank and after a power outtage wiped those fish out ... Still being a stubborn non believer in shipping and all, hence why I am so strongly behind it now. When I went back he had some nice stuff but I noticed a lot of pitting in the head area or HITH. he was honest with me and said he had an outbreak in his central system and some were effected... I got nervous and was afraid to purchase anything and it kinda left me weary in all honesty. I get things happen and stuff goes wrong and at least he told me what it was and was upfront about it... So that's my experience there. After that I ended up getting some gorgeous fish from
    Mike beals a guy who used to be on here and sell fish. His prices with shipping were less than what I would have paid there and he sent me some absolute monster fish and since then I was quite hooked and behind the shipping process and the sponsors here ...
    Thank you for sharing your experience! My family and I took the road trip this morning to Hans Discus in Maryland. Besides the 6 hour round trip, it was a nice to meet Hans and see all the beautiful discus he has for sale. We bought 8 juvenile discus 2.5 inches long. After we got home I decided to do one more water change to the 40g breeder tank but to my dismay my ehiem canister filter started leaking from the outlet hose (the one molded to the motor). I had to run out and purchase another filter. I ended up getting a fluval canister. After acclimating them to the water in my tank I threw them all in. They were really really skittish so I turned off all the light and left them alone. I'll take some pics of them tommorow.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Manny, nice job on the stand. It looks like the basement floor is out of level, lol my whole house is like that.
    Dan

Real Name
    Manny

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    Manny, nice job on the stand. It looks like the basement floor is out of level, lol my whole house is like that.
    Dan
    Lol thanks Dan, my basement floor is all out of wack!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast