ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: HMF filter?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Default HMF filter?

Anyone have any experience w using HMF filters on their discus tanks? Seems like a nice alternative to sponge filters. I'm resealing a 125 gal tank and was thinking of adding one in each back corner. Any pros or cons from others experience?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: HMF filter?

I looked into them a while back but did not get a chance to use. here is info on them
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/a-basic...-mattenfilter/
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Mark

There's also a short vid on youtube. It's such a simple system that it's scary. I've seen that it works for cichlids, however for discus? We all know how discus become ill quickly to their own substrate. So I'm not willing to risk it. I'll stay with what works. But I'll learn from others experience. Who wants to try it!

Real Name
    Ricardo

HMF filters have been used throughout this hobby. Swisstropicals offers great sponges in order to make these HMF filters work:
    http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtra...erfilter-shop/

Are you saying to rely solely on these and no other filtration? If that is the case, I would have to say no, it wouldn't be enough, but if you are simply saying to use it as supplimental filtration, you should be fine, and it is relatively sleek looking.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Thanks guys. My thought was to throw two in the corner of this 125 gal tank and then maybe another 2 big sponges in main area of the tank. Just from reading here it seems like the ideal filter for a BB tank is something with high nitrification but also super easy to clean. (Even HOB filters are a pain to wipe down). I'd like a little water flow in the tank so I thought I could mix these with sponge filters. I'd use water pumps (not air pumps) and am imagining some way to rig up some pvc to make an easy water change system.

Anyone know of a good place to get the polyether foam? Swisstropicals is nice but for foam and a plastic tube that's a little overpriced. Haha I'm all about the DIY.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by modealings View Post
    Thanks guys. My thought was to throw two in the corner of this 125 gal tank and then maybe another 2 big sponges in main area of the tank. Just from reading here it seems like the ideal filter for a BB tank is something with high nitrification but also super easy to clean. (Even HOB filters are a pain to wipe down). I'd like a little water flow in the tank so I thought I could mix these with sponge filters. I'd use water pumps (not air pumps) and am imagining some way to rig up some pvc to make an easy water change system.

Anyone know of a good place to get the polyether foam? Swisstropicals is nice but for foam and a plastic tube that's a little overpriced. Haha I'm all about the DIY.
    It may seem overpriced but it really is good material. I am not sure where else to get this material to be honest but it isn't so bad for something that will last you years upon years. All you have to do is rinse it once in a while. Sponge filters would be fine so long as you have some good surface movement for air exchange.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Second that, your fish cost $$, give them the best and all will be happy in the long run. Running 5 different ppi in my sump=crystal clear water in my 125G tank.

Real Name
    Fred

It works great I grew 9 Stendker Silver pigeons from 3 inch to 6 inch in a year in a 65 gallon with a HMF filter with 2 air driven uplift tubes and a little sponge filter to make me feel good
    I simply did a 50% water change 4-5 times a week. I never cleaned the poret foam during that time. Yes its true it so simple that's its scary

You be the judge

May 2013, I'd already had them for 2 months.

End of March 2014

I got my poret from from swiss tropicals.

Cheers,
    Fred

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

What do some of the pros use?

One of the forum sponsors, Carolina discus, set up poret foam in "huge" sumps in his fish room: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...l=1#post880020

He says it is modeled after Discus Hans' system, another forum sponsor here, which is revealed in detail here:

Jump to minute 6 in that video and he reveals that he operates his sponges much like an HMF:

1. Instead of horizontally like an HMF, the water trickles down through the filter
    2. Instead of siphoning mulm from the back of the HMF with water changes, the mulm that happens to fall out of the sponge is drained out during a "flush" step in his water change procedure (jump to minute 6 in the video)
    3. He said the sponges will last "25 years" without ever being explicitly cleaned/rinsed/squeezed/etc.

Both of these guys know what they're doing, and it validates for me the basic idea that sponge filters can be set-and-mostly-forget filters in at least some situations.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dan Ellis

i use these to put in front of my over flows to keep fry in the tanks not sump

Registered Member

I got mine from Angels Plus and it should arrive tomorrow. It was much cheaper than a large canister filter and it can't overflow, crack, or break any seals, so I figured it was at least worth a try.

Real Name
    Mark

I changed my mind. I want to try it. I like what I read about it. Will be ordering or buying it soon. Question though, does anybody think that poret sponge for the HMF system is special in any manner or is it just sponge?

Poret foam is reticulated open cell foam. I was in touch awhile back about ordering some direct from one of the manufacturers. It is cheaper for sure, but you have to buy in quantity. I will try to link to it after I check my email a bit later as actually have been meaning to get in touch with them. I talked with Steve Lunblad a few years about a one of the bigger breeders he deals with that was growing 100 juvie Oscar's in a 40 gallon breeder, using only a wall of the foam on the back with several lift tubes. I personally would have no qualms about using just this for filtration for Discus. A series of 2 or 3 different PPI as mentioned above is a good idea, and also if you have a wall of them you can easily slide one out to clean it without breaking the barier. The stuff is very stiff and a sheet will stand on it's own. If you do order from a manufacturer, you have to be sure it is untreated, or for aquatic purposes. It is used in high end air filters, and often this is OK, but again check, don't just guess it is OK as the wrong stuff can kill your fish. I know allot of people have gone in on group buys, and it may be a good idea to organize one here.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I am only using poret foam in the sump for my 180. Bought three sheets; two of the 30 and one 10. The 10 will be the collection for all the junk. It should provide plenty of filtration and media for the BB to grow.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening