AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 75 Gallon First Timer

Registered Member

Default Re: 75 Gallon First Timer

Thanks!

Registered Member

I ended up having some issues with this group of fish when a couple of them started darting into things and whirling. A couple of fish died pretty rapidly while I tried to decide whether to medicate or not. The experience was pretty well documented on this ER thread: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ing&highlight= In the end I lost 4 fish, I believe the last one due to poor water flow during meds when my water pump wasn't functioning properly. After meds were complete (metro, prazi, levimasole), the last two fish seemed fine, other than being very skittish due to being down to only 2 fish in the tank. I bought more fish from the same discus store - this time I tried to choose only the better shaped ones. Since they looked great at the store, and I wasn't sure if my previous water parameters had anything to do with he demise of the last fish (questionable ammonia), and I wanted the last two fish to have more discus tankmates ASAP, I added them directly to the tank without quarantine. About 3 days later, I saw one of the new ones scratching, and immediately raised temp and started the same course of medications as before. I do regret that my first two fish will have to go through treatments again, so that's the first and last time I skip quarantine as I start becoming more serious about fish keeping. I think that 3 fish total have shown scratching behavior that I noticed, and after some treatment, I have only seen one scratch a day or two ago. I also recently started running a carbon filter from my tap since we have had a lot of rain and major flooding lately, which really seemed to help two fish that were stressed after water changes. Almost finished with meds, so hopefully everything is good after that. No losses thus far

I am not happy with the Hamburg Mattenfilter - it traps a lot of waste and food and makes a big mess of the water when I take it out to rinse it, so now I am building a wet dry sump out of an ugly 29 gallon tank. I'm planning on keeping the Poret foam from the HMF and cutting it to fit in the sump, but it will also have a layer of filter pad above the foam to catch whatever's in the water before it goes into the foam. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to make sure that water falls through the drip tray evenly. I'm going to put a bulkhead into one of the side panels of the tank for the overflow since the bottom panel is tempered. The main thing I don't like about this is I have to put it in either the left or right side of the tank, since the back is not accessible where the tank sits in the house. I also added a small eheim canister that I already had in the garage, to help with extra water flow and water polishing, which has been working great. I rinse the filter pad and dump out the water in the canister daily, and rinse the other media weekly, which is the same schedule as the HMF. Waiting for a little more funds to finish the sump, as well as a spare tank to cycle that will hold the fish while the sump is installed and tank is drilled.

Registered Member

I drilled and plumbed the tank without doing much research and ended up with a very loud overflow. I then made a very short standpipe, since I drilled the tank so high, which helped some. Then someone on a local fish group informed me that an overflow box with 2 standpipes would be much safer (and almost silent), so I am planning on going that route very soon. I currently have the sump running along with the canister filter. I finally put a prefilter on the eheim intake. I was dumping the water out of the canister during every water change because of all the beefheart that ended up in there. The filter floss in the sump catches a lot of the junk that used to go straight into the Poret foam, so I am happy that I built the sump. I am planning on adding some Marine Pure media to it as well. I would like to add 2 more discus to the tank, but am waiting for my quarantine tank to finish cycling this time around. I am also currently feeding exclusively homemade beefheart/seafood mix and each of the fish now get full bellies after eating.

Video update:
    https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t5...98764992_n.mp4

Real Name
    Ricardo

The 2 stand pipe overflow you are referring to is called a Herbie overflow. Almost dead silent as well. The only difference between that and a bean animal overflow is that the herbie runs a wet emergency while the BA does not

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Yeah, I am planning on getting the eshopps pf-1000 but it was out of stock when I tried to purchase it today. I was able to get a new eheim return pump, though. The pump I'm currently using has an issue with the cord and only stays on when positioned a certain way.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Just following your thread and may I make some suggestions to you. Since your are just starting off I would go with quality stock from a SD sponsor(Hans, Kenny's, etc.). Recommend the overflow system from Lifereef.com, cost a few dollars more than the Eshopps, but has been proven over 29 yrs without an flood. I have one on my 125G since Aug 2014. DIY sump is the way to go. I have an 20G long on my 125G, made a drip tray out of eggcrate hung from tank rim using s-hooks. Next drips down to K1 and thru two poret foam pads from Swiss Tropicals. Last area houses 2 qtrs. Marine pure, 2ltrs. seachem Matris bio media, two 300W heaters, and the return pump. I have 16 very happy healthy discus and tankmates. I have applied all the info I could find on SD to get me the level I'm at now in this hobby. Good luck and just trying to help out fellow discus keeper starting out. Check video: https://youtu.be/mJHx56sDQsU?list=UU...NDj7FYpxr6OSrQ

Registered Member

Thanks for posting. The German discus found at the store I go to are supplied by Hans. My sump is made and running already, but I am still planning to add more media to it. Some of the media will be similar to yours. I really like having the sump!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Thanks for posting. The German discus found at the store I go to are supplied by Hans. My sump is made and running already, but I am still planning to add more media to it. Some of the media will be similar to yours. I really like having the sump!
    Do yourself and the fish a flavor and order directly from Hans so you can avoid the LFS as a possible contamination source. Plus you can order exactly what you want.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thanks, I will definitely consider it the next time I get a group. I do really like the discus store owner though - he's been very helpful. Watching the fish I've already gotten from him over the next few months will likely be the deciding factor of if I get a group from him again.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Maybe when you friend (LFS) orders his new fish from Hans, ask him to order the fish you want and not to place in his tanks upon arrival, you can pick the up the fish from him yourself for your tank???? Just trying to help out...

Registered Member

Definitely another option. Not against ordering from Hans at all, I'd just also love to support a nice person who likes discus so much that he opened a store in this city just for discus. Timing my next batch during one of his shipments could be a win-win.

Registered Member

Got 2 more discus and an L134 from the discus store. No quarantine again... I thought my quarantine tank was finished with its fishless cycle, but then I accidentally poured the Nitrite test tube back in the tank instead of in the sink??? So I changed out all the water before testing Nitrate. The other tank I have cycling was not finished. Since ammonia may have played a part in the deaths of some of my first fish, I didn't want to mess with that again. The fish have been doing very well for the past couple of weeks. They are all growing and I think the largest one is 4.5". I hope they are growing at a reasonable rate. Eyes seem a little large. I think they look nice, but not quite as good as on the Stendker website.

Video: http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t50...33598369_n.mp4

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Okay, you're fish look fine to me, keep it going.

Registered Member

Uploaded to youtube this time.

Good luck with everything.
    Eric M

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast