AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump from aging barrel to tank

Real Name
    Dan

Default Re: Pump from aging barrel to tank

I know I'm a bit late but wanted to chime in. I went through two pumps, one from Harbor Freight and one 1K GPH EcoPlus from Amazon, before I bought a pump that would move the water upstairs from my basement. I wouldn't do any less than a 1/2HP pump with 3K+ GPH. I've had great luck with the pump below.

Barracuda 1/2 HP Thermoplastic Utility / Pond / Waterfall Pump
    https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...85855012547989

Silver Member

Dan,
    the barracuda is the pump i ordered. thanks for the second opinion of that pump. Heidi ( http://forum.simplydiscus.com/member...8676-HappyFace had suggested the same one.

thank you all for replying.

Silver Member

I have set up my aging barrel, but something came to mind while setting up the pump and hose, how do you turn off the pump when the tank is filled? With the pump and electricity in the basement, do you have someone yell down the tank is filled? do you use one of those remote outlets? any suggestions will be appreciated.

jim

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by jim LI View Post
    I have set up my aging barrel, but something came to mind while setting up the pump and hose, how do you turn off the pump when the tank is filled? With the pump and electricity in the basement, do you have someone yell down the tank is filled? do you use one of those remote outlets? any suggestions will be appreciated.

jim
    Get a remote control outlet from Home Depot for about $15
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Naz

Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Dan

This is $10 on Amazon and has worked flawlessly for me.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

Also, I use this on my aging tank to make sure I don't forget about it filling and flood the basement:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

The woods one is what I used off a board recommendation, I think Ricardo.

Works great and is simple

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    The woods one is what I used off a board recommendation, I think Ricardo.

Works great and is simple
    Yup, $10 is a very cheap price to pay for convenience.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Silver Member

I took everyone's advice and ordered it.

thanks

Real Name
    Ricardo

I took everyone's advice and ordered it.

thanks
    You really wont regret it. I'd honestly pay $40 for that little gadget if I had to. I hate reaching down and disconnecting stuff

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Jim

jim
    I had that same dilemna about 11 years ago when I setup my tank on the second floor with all my RO unit and water storage in the basement. Don't think they made those nifty remotes back then cause they seem like a great way to do it. Since I was running drain and fill lines between the walls from the second floor to the basement, I also ran electrical so I could control the pump from the cabinet under the tank. I created two recepticles in the basement, one normal, and one that connected to the common terminal of the normal one, but, the hot wire was what ran up between the walls, through a switch with a cover on it, and back down to the hot terminal of the second recepticle. So the pump turns on/off from the covered (safety) switch under that tank. This turned out to be advantageous when I setup my automatic shutoff switch. The switch is wired into the on/off switch and uses a small (tiny) float in the tank to kill the electricity when the float floats. Not sure I could have set that up using the remote?

In the pic, the covered switch is on the upper right. The junction box for the auto shutoff is mounted on the side of the cabinet to the right of the Marineland cannister (used with the micron cartridge for mechanical filtration). The wires from the junction box are rather lenghty which makes for the jumble of wiring you see near the box The white nomex wire in the front is the hot lead that goes to the basement receptical the pump is plugged into.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Hi Cosmo... do you wish you had put a bigger tube in the wall?

Dan

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    Hi Cosmo... do you wish you had put a bigger tube in the wall?

Dan
    bigger tube for? I run a 3/8s OD flex pvc line for the fill line, which is more than adequate. I run a 3/4 rigid pvc drain line (that I hook my "python" and drain to) that drains about 7.5 gal/min, and then the nomex electrical. Having said that, yes, I wish I would have run conduit (though I'm not sure how) so that I could add additional wiring for a second pump (could probably rig that in the basement with another special recipticle and a two way switch??? hmmmm). I did also run speaker wire for some reason :P lol

but for some reason I don't think I touched on what you were referring to Dan ?? lol
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I just remember reading an earlier post where you had mentioned the 3/8 tubing for filling the tank, and thinking that if I had done that and found out it only gave me 3 gpm I would have been disappointed. But it sounds like it works fine for you. In my old house I wouldn't be able to do anything like what you have done unless electrical and water were in races on the outside of the walls. I have one tank outside the fishroom that's 50 feet away from the barrels and that length of hose cuts the flow of the pump way down to about a third of what the pump can do at the barrel. It takes about 10 minutes to fill that tank back up so I'm afraid to walk away or get distracted.
    Dan

Silver Member

That is some set-up !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast